Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here has driven the 991 Turbo?

Old 11-05-2017, 10:46 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I'm also not concerned about "being left behind by my PDK-sporting friends". BTW, what do you call it when someone is trying to accelerate faster than you, and you make an attempt to keep up with them?

What "kind" of fun, or "how much" fun? I'll go with the latter; answer = lots. Driving a manual is what I consider to be an art form. The man-machine interface, and pulling it off well, is what is fun for me. The higher the horsepower/torque, the more fun it is. Not another car has to be around for me to enjoy the experience.
Since you've never driven canyon roads with friends you can't possibly know what it is about. It is not racing. And you wouldn't be left behind because of acceleration, that's your words. You'd be left behind because you'd be shifting a lot slower. Probably also because, well, you just don't seem like a whole lot of fun to be around.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:14 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
Since you've never driven canyon roads with friends you can't possibly know what it is about.
You're kidding, right?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by KM1959
Since you've never driven canyon roads with friends you can't possibly know what it is about. It is not racing. And you wouldn't be left behind because of acceleration, that's your words. You'd be left behind because you'd be shifting a lot slower. Probably also because, well, you just don't seem like a whole lot of fun to be around.
Don't feed the troll. And yes, is definitely no fun to be around.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Carlo -

Preferring a manual to a PDK is none of what you stated in post #9.

I posted about my personal subjective opinions, while you're post is a personal attack (against the forum rules I believe).
Old 11-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dock is entitled to his opinion, hell Porsche obviously had several complaints about losing the manual and created the R.

I for for one am an average manual driver, and the fact that these newer 911’s have ridiculous power bands is enough to want me to make the most of that power with a trans that is smart enough to deliver it aka not me but the pdk.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, some manage to express their view more politely than others.
I enjoy driving a manual car on the road. On track, PDK is magic although I prefer to shift it manually.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:12 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I recently drove a 991.2 Turbo S.

It's a brilliant car. It's a big car. It hides it's size much better in motion than it does in parking lot speeds or sitting in traffic. It doesn't feel heavy, it just feels like a large car. It's a heavyweight boxer I suppose, large but nimble/quick on it's feet with a lot of power.

Massively powerful. The PDK is great, I especially appreciated how quickly it drops down to the correct gear based on your throttle position nearly instantly. It's almost like it is taking data directly from your brain.

It's a ton of fun, but it is less of a driver's car than the 996 IMO.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Everyone is entitled to an opinion...
Without having a broad brush attack for having it?
Old 11-06-2017, 04:38 PM
hybridporky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Drove a 991.1 TTS, and the car is just stupid fast. As many have said here, it climbs through its gears SO fast that you would be hard pressed to catch up in a manual.

Its a technical marvel in its own right, just the ability to pick up off the line, and track so straight... ANYONE can get in and drive it hard.

Definitely a car that i would love to own some day for ****s and giggles, but in terms of pure driving pleasure and involvement, our 996s are still something else altogether. I can always own a 991 type car as the years go by, but our 996 and older cars, are just something that will be left for memory as cars become more and more technically advanced within the next 10 years.

A simple way to put it, driving the 991 hard, i am still able to observe the speedo, boost readout, and even the RPM i am at. With the 996, it involves, listening to engine revvs, perfectly timed shifts, and watching the road. It is such a different experience.

The 991TT is ALOT like a tuned RS7.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Carlo -

Accusing someone of narrow mindedness and exhibiting naivete for preferring a manual over a PDK is like accusing someone of the same things for preferring Porsche over Corvette, or silver over red, or brunettes over redheads, or tall women over short women.

Obviously, there are a large number of people who prefer a manual transmission over an automatic transmission (read "PDK" in this thread), especially in terms of street use. That opinion exhibits neither narrow mindedness or naivete.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:38 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

We're all driving 996TT's, yes? Presumably, manual ones. I think the general preference of a RL'er and 996TT owner speaks for itself.

I'm not sure if I would ever personally buy a PDK, but if you can't see the appeal (especially on a car like the 991TT, which is an entirely different nature of a beast than the 996TT), that seems a bit closed-minded to me. One obvious example is avoiding the risk of money shifting your $200k car in the heat of the moment on the track, and whatever extra driving confidence that translates to.

The guys I see at the PCA AutoX with PDK's are driving their cars HARD. They definitely don't get any derision from me, as much as I enjoy rowing my gears.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:38 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Carlo -

Preferring a manual to a PDK is none of what you stated in post #9.

I posted about my personal subjective opinions, while you're post is a personal attack (against the forum rules I believe).
Have you driven a 991TTS?
Old 11-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hybridporky
Drove a 991.1 TTS, and the car is just stupid fast. As many have said here, it climbs through its gears SO fast that you would be hard pressed to catch up in a manual.....
Exactly, an H-pattern manual box in a 991TTS would be wasting the potential of the engine. A sequential manual on the other hand would probably work well. If someone wants to row gears buy a GT3 or one of the Carrera models.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atrox
Dock is entitled to his opinion, hell Porsche obviously had several complaints about losing the manual and created the R.

I for for one am an average manual driver, and the fact that these newer 911’s have ridiculous power bands is enough to want me to make the most of that power with a trans that is smart enough to deliver it aka not me but the pdk.
My issue with Doc is that he has not even driven a 991TTS and has made no input on the subject of the thread. He has instead used it as a way to make thinly veiled disparaging remarks toward others who have provided valid first hand opinions on the subject. He is a troll, and boring, predictable and uncreative one at that.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manimal
I'm not sure if I would ever personally buy a PDK, but if you can't see the appeal (especially on a car like the 991TT, which is an entirely different nature of a beast than the 996TT), that seems a bit closed-minded to me.
Where did I opine negatively about the appeal that PDK may have with other people? As a matter of fact, I posted "different strokes for different folks" regarding the issue of PDK vs. a manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who here has driven the 991 Turbo?