Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making custom brake ducts - backing plate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:05 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Making custom brake ducts - backing plate?

So after taking my car for some track events this fall, I have decided that I need to do some brake upgrades. Since I got the car a few months ago, I did the following for setup: factory calipers w/ spacers, 350mm rotors, pagid yellow pads, GT3 ducts, GT2 fender liners, and Motul 600 fluid. I ran factory turbo twists on 245/645/18 and 305/645/18 Pirelli DH slicks. My local track (PittRace) is kinda hard on brakes and with the slicks it made it even worse. During the last 5-10 minutes of a 30 minute session I was getting a lot of brake fade and pedal mushiness. Brake fluid was boiling as a very small amount would make its way out of the reservoir cap and pool around the top edge of the reservoir. I was driving with PSM on most of the time and I feel that this was a mistake and lead to increased brake usage by the car and quicker overheating of the braking system. I was just getting used to the car as it is relatively new to me...so somewhat rookie move there and also a bit of a safety net.

That all being said, my plans for upgrades while the car is garaged for winter are:
-rebuild stock calipers (they look pretty worn from years of use. Car is new to me so I don't know their history)
-keep using pagid yellow pads
-SS braided lines
-Castrol SRF or Endless RF650 fluid
-custom brake ducts

So...on the topic of cooling. I have the basic things - vented fender liners and GT3 ducts. I'm not interested in the GT2 ducts and I don't they'd provide a significant improvement. I have thought about the 997 GT3 air guides, but thought - why not take it all the way and custom make fully functional air ducts that shoot air directly onto the rotors? This should be the most effective cooling mod possible.

The only two commercial products I have been able to find are http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...BRKPRF_pg1.htm and https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/aft...c-bd5900t_8224

But why not make my own? Seems easy enough. I'd like to model it off of this: https://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery..._shroud?full=1 But continue it all the way to the rotor instead of having the ducts feed into the fender wells.

Now does anyone have any leads or sources for a backing plate that I could use as a base for this project? The Cantrell and Cargraphic ones look like pretty crappy quality and are very expensive. The rest of the project is relatively easy routing of hose. Should I just secure the end of the hose to the wheel carrier/hub, aimed at the rotor? Any other ideas or feedback regarding this idea??
Old 10-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Flewis763
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you that your psm cooked your brakes. Your current setup should be fine for 30 min track seasion but with the psm on, the traction control is constantly braking on track. Well even with it off it still does a little. Only true way to turn it off is unplug it at the abs pump.

not to say that more brake cooling wouldn't help but 95% of your issue was having the psm on

Last edited by Flewis763; 10-30-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:48 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Flewis763
I can tell you that your psm cooked your brakes. Your current setup should be fine for 30 min track seasion but with the psm on, the traction control is constantly braking on track. Well even with it off it still does a little. Only true way to turn it off is unplug it at the abs pump.

not to say that more brake cooling wouldn't help but 95% of your issue was having the psm on
You're pretty confident that I wouldn't have any problems with overheating if I completely unplug PSM next season? I really hope it makes that big of a difference.

Even if you're right (which I hope you are!), I'm still going to take the opportunity this winter and get as much cooling in there as possible. Nobody has made custom brake ducts? Is there a reason besides that it's unnecessary? Am I pursuing this for no good reason?

Old 11-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Flewis763
Instructor

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
You're pretty confident that I wouldn't have any problems with overheating if I completely unplug PSM next season? I really hope it makes that big of a difference.

Even if you're right (which I hope you are!), I'm still going to take the opportunity this winter and get as much cooling in there as possible. Nobody has made custom brake ducts? Is there a reason besides that it's unnecessary? Am I pursuing this for no good reason?

well even with just the psm button pressed to off you'll see a huge difference but to be truly off you have to unplug the sensor from the abs pump like said before. Ya with the psm on, on track, especially with slicks, it's basically braking 90% of the time.

as for ducts, if you have gt2 front liners, they push more air to the front already as well. You could add a custom duct for a little more but most likely not needed.
for the rear though you can add the 997 gt3 stuff.
message pwdrhound, he can get you part numbers for everything you need. John is put these cars through more bell on track than basically anyone else and has also tried about ever combo of stuff made. He knows his ****.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:01 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

This is what you can use for brake cooling. You won't do any better trying to reinvent the wheel. Most is direct bolt on and some required a little modding. About $1200 or so in parts. In the rear you can use the 996GT2 brake ducts which work well but not quite as effective as the 997 stuff.. Use SRF or Endless 650 and PFC pads. I don't like Pagid. Don't waste your money on SS brake lines, useless upgrade, nothing to be gained there.

Front:
996GT2 front liners with enlarged cooling duct opening
996GT2/Cup brake ducts
997GT3 upper air guides modified to fit 996 coolant pipes

Rear:
997.2GT3 rear brake ducts
997GT3 caliper air ducts
997GT3 caliper air guides

Old 11-06-2017, 09:43 AM
Flewis763
Instructor

John do you have part numbers for the rear caliper ducts and guides? I can't find those. The big rear ducts I already had numbers and in the list fitvthr winter
Old 11-06-2017, 01:38 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Flewis763
John do you have part numbers for the rear caliper ducts and guides? I can't find those. The big rear ducts I already had numbers and in the list fitvthr winter

rear under tray: 997.504.629.92
rear brake ducts: 997.575.183.00 and 997.575.184.00
rear brake spoilers: 997.331.487.02 and 997.331.488.02

Quick Reply: Making custom brake ducts - backing plate?