New owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:23 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by CordedTires
Oh yeah. This is all stuff I need to know (well, the droppings was obvious, but it never hurts to repeat the obvious). Thank you!

I have a question about finding a manual for it, and the spoiler warning light, over at the 996 forum if anybody wants to look, maybe I should have put it here. Not sure how strict you guys are about cross posting.
The regular 966 forum is not the place to post questions about a Turbo. The Turbo is almost a different car. Completely different engine, different driveline to most 996s, different brakes, different spoiler, different manual, almost different everything.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:59 PM
CordedTires
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, ok. Will do.

That’s funny though, because the guys over there said they were almost the same car except for the engine. Maybe you better go over there and straighten them out.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

get a manual from the dealer.
Congrats on the car. Make sure it is pointed straight before putting your foot down, and true of most Porsches, when going around a corner, don't lift.
What will you be using this car for and is it your first Porsche. Great choice of model.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:53 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Oh, ok. Will do.

That’s funny though, because the guys over there said they were almost the same car except for the engine. Maybe you better go over there and straighten them out.
The fact that they think their cars are almost the same as a Turbo is the reason I never go to that section. They are the petite bourgeoisie, we are the connoisseurs.

Post your questions here. You will receive answers from long time Turbo owners that know the model inside and out.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 10-30-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:01 PM
CordedTires
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbodan
get a manual from the dealer.
Congrats on the car. Make sure it is pointed straight before putting your foot down, and true of most Porsches, when going around a corner, don't lift.
What will you be using this car for and is it your first Porsche. Great choice of model.
Thanks!! It’s my first Porsche - I have five cousins of various relatedness who have them. I autocrossed for 10 years, so I always felt like if anyone if the family ought to have one, it was me (and ten years later, here I am!)

I’ll be using it for driving . May autocross it once or twice, just to get to know it properly, and maybe a DE.

Here’s my don’t lift story: I actually instructed once at a PCA autocross. My first time instructing; the SCCA guys I ran with never invited me to, because a) I’m female but mostly because b) I was only an average driver on my very best days. So anyway, since I’d never even driven a Porsche, I asked about this minor little concern ahead of time, and was told “Don’t worry, we’ll put you with a complete novice. Just tell him not to lift.” Well, they did, I did tell him forcefully, and he did lift. Of course he spun out, and I got to tell him he should have paid attention.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:19 PM
CordedTires
Intermediate

Great info, thanks!!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:19 PM
TommyT
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the club. Beautiful car.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:45 PM
Chirofirst
Advanced

Default Congrats!

Beautiful Car! Great choice!!! Enjoy it...
Old 10-31-2017, 11:10 PM
Bushrat
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Own a 2004 triple black 6 speed 996tt cab as well. Bought two years ago after the sale of my 1986 930 coupe. Also own a 2009 Road King Classic which I updated to a 106 along with a few other goodies....looks like we share common interests. Enjoy....great car! Removed engine/trans last winter. Pinned all water nipples, replaced all seals & o'rings, hoses, water pump and drive belt. This year, installing a set of PSS10 Bilstein coilovers, Torque Solutions dog bones & toe links....lowering the car 1". Important to keep all original parts should you decide to sell down the road. Originality is important. Have no intention of modifying the engine as mine is an X50....currently 55000 miles.
Cheers
Old 11-01-2017, 12:44 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushrat
Own a 2004 triple black 6 speed 996tt cab as well. Bought two years ago after the sale of my 1986 930 coupe. Also own a 2009 Road King Classic which I updated to a 106 along with a few other goodies....looks like we share common interests. Enjoy....great car!

Nice to see another 996 Turbo / Harley owner here...I have a 2010 FLHRC as well, slightly modded just like my Turbo. But not as fast!

Welcome Cordedtires, that's a nice Cab you have. Congrats, they're amazing machines. just a few light mods and the car is transformed!
Old 11-02-2017, 12:10 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fung0001
I am also a cab owner:
  • don't fold the soft top over night
  • apply soft top cleaner & conditioner to it regularly
  • let it dry thoroughly after rainy days ( i will drive another car if raining)
  • Clean any bird's dropping with water immediately
  • remember to take away all stuff stored at the pit behind the rear seats when you retreat the soft top
All good advice and I will recommend treating the top,with Aerospace 303 fabric guard. Water will bead on it and bird droppings and the like will not soak in.

I use it on my Ferrari and it has saved me more than once. Not from water, as Ferraris never go out on the rain, but from birds as those little f'ers tell all their friends that there's a black Ferrari outside in the wild and it provides a great target.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:39 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Oh, ok. Will do.

The guy over there that said they were almost the same car is an idiot.

Different seats, different interior trim, different windshields, different motor mounts, different ignition switches, different keys, different sounds systems, different gas tanks, different brakes, different suspensions, different headlights, different sunroofs, different taillights, carpet, different headliner, different door handles, different keys, different windshield wipers, different instrument panel, different frunk and engine cover releases, different ebrake handle, different option sticker location, different window regulators, etc., etc., etc.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2017, 05:35 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Congrats! I am a brown-interior fan.

Vents only blow foam at you when it's angry.

+1 radar detector.

I like the local PCA. There are other 996 people and everyone is generally in a good mood (i.e., I'm not poor, you're not poor, it's all good).
Old 11-02-2017, 07:36 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

A beauty. I am in the process of buying a twin to your car. Congrats!
Old 11-02-2017, 09:47 PM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

:roflma
Originally Posted by KM1959
All good advice and I will recommend treating the top,with Aerospace 303 fabric guard. Water will bead on it and bird droppings and the like will not soak in.

I use it on my Ferrari and it has saved me more than once. Not from water, as Ferraris never go out on the rain, but from birds as those little f'ers tell all their friends that there's a black Ferrari outside in the wild and it provides a great target.
thats why we may also need to have a cap with the top down

Quick Reply: New owner