Sponsored by:

V1 In Mirror Revisited - Now More Confused

Old 09-23-2017, 10:49 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default V1 In Mirror Revisited - Now More Confused

Hi All,

I took the side panel off on the drivers side to get a good look behind where the volume control is for my radar detector from a previous owner.

It does appear to be from this website - http://www.radar-mirror.com/V1_Example.html

I tried to trace the wires. Basically there is the small piece which is the direct power adapter. The "Main Unit" Side seems to go to the "Remote Audio Display", the "Accessory" side seems to go to something that has been cut and spliced into other wires but I can't really trace. According to the diagram though this goes to the mirror concealed display. Which seems to make sense as I lose power to the mirror when I unplug this.

On the Remote Audio Display there are 2 connections as well. One goes to the direct power adapter obviously, the other seems to go up into the abyss behind the dash. No idea where this goes or could be hiding. However, according to the diagram, this should be to the actual V1. Where would you hide a V1 in all of this though?!?!

On top of that, I found the random loose wire in the front bumper that seems to have been cut. I don't see anything like that wire in the beehive under the center console but usually that would be a laser jammer or something, no?

Also in the bundle of wires, the other random plug, is that for if I had the optional CD Changer under the hood? Not sure what would plug into this.

Anyway, any ideas would be great. I'd really like to figure out where this damn V1 is hidden and what this wire does!

Thanks,

Old 09-24-2017, 01:59 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

At least one part of your puzzle is easy! The connector looks like the unused 'phone connector' on most 996's.

Brown = Ground
Yellow/Black = telephone mute
Green/Black = switched 12V
Red/Green = un-switched 12V

Sent you a direct email as well to help figure out the rest of it.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:54 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Also.... the wiring on V1 can be confusing at first, but is actually quite simple.

Every V1 component uses a standard RJ-11 connector, but only the inner four conductors are used . Of those four, only the inner two are essential for a simple installation, power and ground. The other two are data and mute.

The wiring is

1: Unused.
2: Mute.
3. Power.
4. Ground.
5. Data.
6. Unused.

And reversed on the other side of the cable:

1: Unused.
2: Data.
3. Ground.
4. Power.
5. Mute.
6. Unused.

Likewise, the 'Main' and 'accessory' ports on the power adapter are essentially the same, but one is reversed, one is not.

This picture maybe explains it better?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V1 In Mirror Revisited - Now More Confused