Sponsored by:

Sprint boost and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:50 AM
siddhartha
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprint boost and check engine light

I just bought a 2001 996 Turbo. I did not realize but it comes with a sprintboost installed.

All along the little led was green and everything was fine. Turns out moving the telescopic steering wheel flicks the LED to red or off. The three positions.

So i turned it off. And a few miles later the Check engine light comes on with fault - P0132 (O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1))
Mysterious green button.

That freaks me out. So I turn it back to green. Check engine light goes off. I'm befuddled.

Anyone have experience with sprintboost? My thought is to get it removed when the time comes. It sprints allright. Does it really need a boost?
Old 09-21-2017, 03:47 AM
ghostofpain
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats weird. If i were you, i would deinstall the sprint booster. Its unecessary anyway.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

This is completely unrelated. When you changed the color of the button did you follow the manufacturers directions to turn the car off and change the setting then turn the car on? The gas pedal is not related to emissions. Although super super weird
Old 09-21-2017, 03:51 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i tried one for a cpl months. it's basically just "gimmicky" although the throttle response does "feel" a bit "quicker" but that is entirely a function of how it is essentially "tricking" the e-gas system.

i'll save john a cpl paragraphs here ( lol ) and agree with his take on them, and say its not really a long term useful device for the car. plus it can definitely play with/confuse your ecu. since that controls throttle adaptations etc.

if i were you, i'd ( and did ) get rid of it, though it made for some fun and laughable discourse in here, awhile back haha. that alone was worth the price of the gizmo

all of the forgoing notwithstanding, the 02 sensors go bad all the time. they're a cheap replaceable wear item ( over time! ) and the connectors fray and crack at the wires, so you could have a "co-incidental" issue there. i would begin by removing the sprint thingamabob, and see if the 02 code is no longer present. proceed from there.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:52 PM
siddhartha
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. Stopped by my independent mechanic. He did see the same fault code. And it is unrelated to the gizmo (sprint boost). Becasue the CIL went off!

so the plan is -

put the original exhaust back, remove sprint boost and while in there put in a new o2 sensor. He said that would be the easy to swap the o2 sensor while all is exposed.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:22 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,462 Posts

I used SprintBoosters on my 2004 C2 and 2008 Cayman S, really helped the throttle feel for my driving style, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for those vehicles.. IMHO the e-throttle is pretty lazy on those models.

Never felt the need for it on the 2001 Turbo...

Quick Reply: Sprint boost and check engine light