Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should a good detail/ceramic coating cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:36 PM
mark.jorgensen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you wanted to remove the ceramic coating what does that entail whether it is to redo it or just remove for paint work?
Old 09-21-2017, 01:05 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by mark.jorgensen
If you wanted to remove the ceramic coating what does that entail whether it is to redo it or just remove for paint work?
It depends on the nano coating....can be as easy as a hand polish, all the way to sanding it off.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:55 PM
Q's911
Advanced

I did a full 7yr ceramic coating for $1300.00 in OR. This also included the wheels. I'm thrilled with the results!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Like everything else in the world, there are different caliber products, different skill levels and different drives for excellence. Coatings and the pro's that use them are similar.

Really, the same can be said for how much dentists, surgeons, professional musician's/athletes, CEO's and even what a run of the mill employee get for their time. There is no single aspect that makes someone necessarily worth $xx. If there was, it would likely be what end results those individuals get someone for that money. It's the same with detailing/coatings.

Happy professional detailer hunting folks!
Old 09-28-2017, 06:40 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

In Mexico city its about 8,000 Pesos or around $400 Dollars for a complete paint correction and ceramic coating. Wish it was equaly as cheap in California.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:07 AM
derv88
Rennlist Member

So I just have a C2 (sorry to crash the turbo forum) but I was just quoted about $350 for paint correction and ceramic wax here in Chicago. Talked to the guy for 30 minutes, and yes, he washes my car so he's familiar with it. Something seems fishy if you guys are paying $$$$ range for this service.

He explained that there might be some "haze" visible in the paint after the procedure, that it was due to the buffer being spinning vs. oscillating or something similar which is what was needed to clean up the swirl marks. I asked if the hazing was permanent and he said no but I wasn't convinced by his explanation.

What am I missing or what isn't this guy telling me? I'm nervous as hell to do this, but the swirl marks are screaming for help. The paint is otherwise in fantastic condition for for 16 years old. He owns a hand car wash/detailing business, and seems to know what he is talking about - but I am so goddammed nervous about this....
Old 09-29-2017, 02:40 AM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by derv88
So I just have a C2 (sorry to crash the turbo forum) but I was just quoted about $350 for paint correction and ceramic wax here in Chicago. Talked to the guy for 30 minutes, and yes, he washes my car so he's familiar with it. Something seems fishy if you guys are paying $$$$ range for this service.

He explained that there might be some "haze" visible in the paint after the procedure, that it was due to the buffer being spinning vs. oscillating or something similar which is what was needed to clean up the swirl marks. I asked if the hazing was permanent and he said no but I wasn't convinced by his explanation.

What am I missing or what isn't this guy telling me? I'm nervous as hell to do this, but the swirl marks are screaming for help. The paint is otherwise in fantastic condition for for 16 years old. He owns a hand car wash/detailing business, and seems to know what he is talking about - but I am so goddammed nervous about this....
There should not be a haze! Before and after, no haze. Also you said WAX it's not a wax. You want ceramic coating not wax. And that is a cheap quote, you get what u pay for.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:18 AM
derv88
Rennlist Member

Here's the before shot as of a couple weeks ago
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2017, 12:54 PM
RClurg84
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

derv88 best thing to do is find some people local to you that have had paint correction/ceramic coating done. Get their opinions, your market in Chicago is a lot bigger than Salt Lake City. Shop around, see who is the best in your area, the best places aren't cheap. But it's so worth it when done correct.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:48 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We've been working on Porsches since 1995...we know our way around them because it's our specialty...we touch at least one daily. That's a lot of Porsches

From looking at your paint, it gives me a clear idea of what's involved...I assure you, $300 isn't even addressing 10% of the issues I see.

Unfortunately, everyone in our industry has a different definition of "paint correction"...hence why prices are all over the map. Gentleman, true paint correction takes days on a vehicle like this one. It's a methodical process of taking paint measurements prior to polishing, and then taking them after your test sections to see what route to go. You shouldn't mindlessly just grab a machine and start buffing without examining and taking in data first. What process needs to be done on your hood, may be different from your bumpers, or your doors, but the end result needs to be one cohesive appearance, void of swirls and scratches and haze.

True paint correction looks amazing and spectacular just on its own, wax or nano coat on top only enhances that perfection. Please understand, despite your geographical area, a process of paint correction can take 8-30 hours on just this one example shown, based on the expectations of the owner...that's just the paint correction by a skilled polisher. Not factoring the actual pre-prep, and post correction detail work.

So, I'd be more concerned in finding out how much time is spent on your "paint correction", and the actual process....there will always be guys that will do the work for less, and they may be talented...but you should talk to several reputable shops and only then will you truly understand what the marketplace in YOUR area costs. If four shops are in the same general range, and one guy is a fraction of the cost, then you know something is up.

And make sure you actually send photos or take your car to the shop...trying to explain it in email or phone is often futile because to the skilled eye of a detailer, you're describing an apple and he/she will most likely see an orange in person.

Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
Robo_Cat (07-21-2021)
Old 09-30-2017, 12:22 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this done two weeks ago, and this is how it turned out.

It took almost two full days to get done.
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2017, 06:28 PM
ylee911
Intermediate

Joe at OCDetailing in Fremont just posted paint correction video. Looks like for the level to get to perfection, it's anywhere between 10 to 20 hour job (or more?) for an entire 911, depending on the condition I guess. I don't know what the average labor rate for these type of skills but knowing a mechanic charges 95 to 130 an hour in the bay area, you can kind of guess how much a modern paint correction job will cost you. I had my 911 and jeep done and man, it make all the difference!

Old 10-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
We've been working on Porsches since 1995...we know our way around them because it's our specialty...we touch at least one daily. That's a lot of Porsches

From looking at your paint, it gives me a clear idea of what's involved...I assure you, $300 isn't even addressing 10% of the issues I see.

Unfortunately, everyone in our industry has a different definition of "paint correction"...hence why prices are all over the map. Gentleman, true paint correction takes days on a vehicle like this one. It's a methodical process of taking paint measurements prior to polishing, and then taking them after your test sections to see what route to go. You shouldn't mindlessly just grab a machine and start buffing without examining and taking in data first. What process needs to be done on your hood, may be different from your bumpers, or your doors, but the end result needs to be one cohesive appearance, void of swirls and scratches and haze.

True paint correction looks amazing and spectacular just on its own, wax or nano coat on top only enhances that perfection. Please understand, despite your geographical area, a process of paint correction can take 8-30 hours on just this one example shown, based on the expectations of the owner...that's just the paint correction by a skilled polisher. Not factoring the actual pre-prep, and post correction detail work.

So, I'd be more concerned in finding out how much time is spent on your "paint correction", and the actual process....there will always be guys that will do the work for less, and they may be talented...but you should talk to several reputable shops and only then will you truly understand what the marketplace in YOUR area costs. If four shops are in the same general range, and one guy is a fraction of the cost, then you know something is up.

And make sure you actually send photos or take your car to the shop...trying to explain it in email or phone is often futile because to the skilled eye of a detailer, you're describing an apple and he/she will most likely see an orange in person.

Hope this helps
This soooooo very much.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:20 PM
derv88
Rennlist Member

These replies from MoeMistry, Detailed Designs, and ylee are SOOOO helpful. I was minutes from pulling the trigger on the $300 guy. What scared me off is when I said that this car is not driven every day and I suggested he could have it for a couple-three days, and he said "oh, no - drop it off in the morning and it will be ready when you get off work that day."

Now, to ask another question of you guys who do this for a living - do you have any recommendations for a shop in Chicago??
Old 10-07-2017, 09:33 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

These replies from MoeMistry, Detailed Designs, and ylee are SOOOO helpful. I was minutes from pulling the trigger on the $300 guy. What scared me off is when I said that this car is not driven every day and I suggested he could have it for a couple-three days, and he said "oh, no - drop it off in the morning and it will be ready when you get off work that day."

Now, to ask another question of you guys who do this for a living - do you have any recommendations for a shop in Chicago??
glad we could help.

I’d start here:

https://cqfinest.com/find-an-installer/

Quick Reply: What should a good detail/ceramic coating cost?