Sponsored by:

Opinions on Suspension - Ohlins, PSS10 or Bilstein Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by PV996
What about the KW's? More but worth it? My TT is basically a daily driver. Bought it with Tech Art Springs. Looking for a better ride but with excellent handling.

I talked to bbi autosport about getting these:
KW Clubsport 2-Way Coilover Kit - Porsche 911 (996)
Part #: 35271803
Front Lowering: 0.6" to 1.4"
Your Price: $4,895.99

http://www.kwsuspensions.com/product...-35271803.html

They also suggested - "To properly set up the car, you will need adjustable sway bar end links at the very least: Tarrett Front and Rear Adjustable Sway Bar End Links"

Saw the same set up in a SpeedHunter's article.
For that $ you're getting into JRZ territory.
There are a couple used sets I've seen lately that could be refreshed if needed too for less.
I figure there are pretty much 3 price/involvement levels:
1-stock > new springs and bilsteins
2 stock > coil overs w/bars and end links and maybe some LCAs
3 stock > 2/3/4 way reservoir, bars, uprights, monoB everything, etc.

If you're not planning to track the car and want to set and forget, stay closer to stock. Very slippery slope as they say...
Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

What about the KW's? More but worth it? My TT is basically a daily driver. Bought it with Tech Art Springs. Looking for a better ride but with excellent handling.

They also suggested - "To properly set up the car, you will need adjustable sway bar end links at the very least: Tarrett Front and Rear Adjustable Sway Bar End Links"

Ive got a set of 2 way adjustable, remote reservoir, Moton Club Sports that I will let go for way less than that cost. 0 miles since rebuild also.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:42 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

996 Clubsports are valved and sprung for a huge (and bizarre) front to rear spring split, 400lb front and 1084lb rear springs. That's absolute madness. I would never put that on one of these cars personally. Caveat emptor..
Old 10-18-2017, 08:14 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
996 Clubsports are valved and sprung for a huge (and bizarre) front to rear spring split, 400lb front and 1084lb rear springs. That's absolute madness. I would never put that on one of these cars personally. Caveat emptor..
There will be a crapload of understeer with that spring combo. Weird.

To original question, get the Ohlin R&Ts. You will not regret it.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:29 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
There will be a crapload of understeer with that spring combo. Weird.
No, crapload of oversteer...
Old 10-18-2017, 10:25 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, crapload of oversteer...
Not in my experience an AWD 996TT. With all else being equal, a soft spring up front makes the front push.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:04 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Not in my experience an AWD 996TT. With all else being equal, a soft spring up front makes the front push.
Not trying to argue, but stiffening the rear springs or stiffening the rear sway bar will increase oversteer. Conversely softening front springs or the front sway will do the same. Suspension tuning 101.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:31 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not trying to argue, but stiffening the rear springs or stiffening the rear sway bar will increase oversteer and vice versa. Suspension tuning 101.
I am not arguing either, just curious and always interested in information.

I have done stiffening the rear sway bar to dial out understeer and that worked on my 996TT.

I have had different results with the spring rates though. The stock springs on my car were 188/342 f/r and it understeered like a pig. I swapped just the springs over ROW spec, which has front springs stiffer than the NA springs, and a closer ratio f/r than NA spec, and the car became much more neutral.

Maybe the difference in the variable rate of the springs is dialing out the understeer?

I have also noticed that aftermarket coilover kits also use closer ratio spring rates and folks I know with those kits also report less understeer.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:15 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

I am not arguing either, just curious and always interested in information.

I have done stiffening the rear sway bar to dial out understeer and that worked on my 996TT.

I have had different results with the spring rates though. The stock springs on my car were 188/342 f/r and it understeered like a pig. I swapped just the springs over ROW spec, which has front springs stiffer than the NA springs, and a closer ratio f/r than NA spec, and the car became much more neutral.

Maybe the difference in the variable rate of the springs is dialing out the understeer?

I have also noticed that aftermarket coilover kits also use closer ratio spring rates and folks I know with those kits also report less understeer.
It's anyone's guess what will happen when going with progressive rate springs as you really don't know what the "real" rate is. The initial rate may be softer on the ROW springs than the OEM springs yet the final rate end up firmer. The ROW springs are tuned together likely for a better overall balance and that is why you are likely seeing the results you reported. Reducing rideheight and changing the rake of the vehicle with ROW springs will also both affect the balance of the vehicle so it's simply not an apples to apples comparison. All race springs on the other hand are a linear rate which makes changes very predictable.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:27 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have KW Clubsports, Tarret drop links, and BBI rear toe link- set up by Joey when he was at BBI.

The linear springs are quite stiff, but I find them to be nicely balanced front to rear, handling is very neutral- stock I had much more oversteer (lift off).

I don't track the car, but on canyon roads it's sublime. For daily driving duty I would recommend softer, progressive spring rates- but our roads and freeways are in horrible shape.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's anyone's guess what will happen when going with progressive rate springs as you really don't know what the "real" rate is. The initial rate may be softer on the ROW springs than the OEM springs yet the final rate end up firmer. The ROW springs are tuned together likely for a better overall balance and that is why you are likely seeing the results you reported. Reducing rideheight and changing the rake of the vehicle with ROW springs will also both affect the balance of the vehicle so it's simply not an apples to apples comparison. All race springs on the other hand are a linear rate which makes changes very predictable.
That sounds about right.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:34 PM
ghostofpain
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
I have KW Clubsports, Tarret drop links, and BBI rear toe link- set up by Joey when he was at BBI.

The linear springs are quite stiff, but I find them to be nicely balanced front to rear, handling is very neutral- stock I had much more oversteer (lift off).

I don't track the car, but on canyon roads it's sublime. For daily driving duty I would recommend softer, progressive spring rates- but our roads and freeways are in horrible shape.
thats a great suspension abd very good for the track...you can adjust everything.
That will be my next one. Pss10 is too soft...
Old 10-20-2017, 07:24 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

That sounds about right.
Keep in mind that Porsche uses basically 1:1 spring rate ratios front to rear on all their race cars from the 996 through the 991s. They know what they're doing and have tested this ad nauseum. I've personally run a ton of different spring combinations and the closer the ratio is to 1:1 the better and more balanced the car feels at the limit. In my opinion, most of the entry level coil over suspensions are under sprung in the front but this is likely done for street use purposes and to help the average driver with turn in.

In my opinion, Porsche has spent a lot more R&D in the tuning of the ROW street suspension than they have on the 4x4 USA set up which was likely done to meet some obscure US certification requirement with performance a distant second. My guess is that the ROW suspension you have performs substantially better than the US spec suspension while providing a ride that is smoother and less harsh even at a lower ride height.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:32 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Also, while suspension tuning 101 dictates that softness == more grip, there comes a point of too much softness not controlling the weight of the car (e.g., tire pressures being significantly too low), right? It kinda sounds like the US spec springs might fall into that category? I guess you'd be hitting the bumpstops if that were truly the case, though.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:00 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Keep in mind that Porsche uses basically 1:1 spring rate ratios front to rear on all their race cars....

.....In my opinion, Porsche has spent a lot more R&D in the tuning of the ROW street suspension than they have on the 4x4 USA set up which was likely done to meet some obscure US certification requirement with performance a distant second. My guess is that the ROW suspension you have performs substantially better than the US spec suspension while providing a ride that is smoother and less harsh even at a lower ride height.
The GT2 has OEM spring rates that are almost 1:1

I have heard from more than one Porsche tech that the primary reason for the USA spec springs in the 996TT is to raise the headlights up to USA require minimum height. Pathetic isn't it?

And yes, the ROW springs are a completely different feel.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Suspension - Ohlins, PSS10 or Bilstein Shocks