Sponsored by:

too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:34 PM
siddhartha
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
It's good that you're looking for a Tip as they trade lower than manuals, but 40k is still a pretty tight budget, and I echo other people's comments on maintenance. $1k is nothing.

Your best bet is a high mileage car with a thorough maintenance history. Summer's pretty much over which is also good. Also, nothing crazy with daily driving a 996tt in the MN winter. In Germany people drive them year round all the time. With good tires in the right size you'll be 100% fine.

But there you see - even just getting a spare set of rims and Blizzaks or similar, you're way beyond $1k already.
I even put blizzak's on my audi for the winter. So agreed. Maybe 5k is a better budget.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:39 PM
siddhartha
Intermediate

Originally Posted by digit3
I'm in MN also. I see a 996TT once in a while around MSP.
Have you lived here long? I cannot imagine taking mine out in the winter on our salt and chemical filled pot hole strewn roads.
I'm glad people are making connections!

i plan to buy the unlimited car wash plan for monthly payments and use it often. and garage it.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:41 PM
siddhartha
Intermediate

Thanks all for the advice. I agree so it could be 1 or 5 k. be prepared.

thanks for the feedback about the triptronic and dings and minor scrapes being the way to reach my budget.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:07 AM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

yearly expense does depend on if you can do your work or not and how well it's been maintained. Outside of mods, it's mostly been oil changes/filters/brakes.
I daily all season 15-20k miles a year in PA...heavily salted roads. The bolts do get rusty but oh well. I do spray the underbody once a week or so. I am lowered quite a bit and clearance does become an issues if there's more than 4-5 inches of snow if is not cleared. I assume MN gets more snow? I do have small dings here and there and lots of small rock chips on the front bumper and edge of hood. Unless you have the front end wrapped, there's not much you can do. You really need a dedicated set of snow tires also.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:11 AM
Thomas42
Instructor

Originally Posted by geetee
You really need a dedicated set of snow tires also.
Yep, and to do it right, some 10 inch rear wheels, and that probably means matching front wheels as well (unless you're lucky and find some 10's to match the front).

Quick Reply: too good to be true?