Sponsored by:

Selling Car with/without Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 AM
Shuskan3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selling Car with/without Modifications

What are your thoughts on selling a 996TT with and without mods? Are there certain mods worth more to sell outright rather than to sell with the car?

I'm specifically thinking of the following items which I still have all OEM items for:
-OEM Euro GT3 Seats with Carbon Fiber Upper Pieces
-21 Carbon Fiber interior pieces from DB Carbon
-Misha GT2 Deck Lid
-T96 Steering Wheel
-Custom Built Exhaust

I've got well over $10k invested in just these four modifications and could likely get around $7k for them if I sell them outright. Do they add that much in value to the car if the OEM items are included in the sale of the car?

Have been toying with the idea of selling my '02 996TT but I keep talking myself out of it since the car is so near perfect (scored the highest overall score of 53 cars entered in February PCA concours event). 61k miles and has brand new (within last 1k miles) GT2 clutch and flywheel, new pads and rotors, new Bilstein shocks and springs, 2k miles on pilot sport tires, etc.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Shuskan3; 02-19-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:03 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuskan3
What are your thoughts on selling a 996TT with and without mods? Are there certain mods worth more to sell outright rather than to sell with the car?

I'm specifically thinking of the following items which I still have all OEM items for:
-OEM Euro GT3 Seats with Carbon Fiber Upper Pieces
-21 Carbon Fiber interior pieces from DB Carbon
-Misha GT2 Deck Lid
-T96 Steering Wheel

I've got well over $10k invested in just these four modifications and could likely get around $7k for them if I sell them outright. Do they add that much in value to the car if the OEM items are included in the sale of the car?

Beautiful car. In the majority of scenarios, I think you would be able to realize more dollars if you return your car to stock and sell the mods separately. Finding a buyer who wants/loves all your mods and is *willing* to pay for them is not an easy task. Sure, there are guys out there that like to buy modded cars, but most won't pay extra for the mods.

Wheels, exhaust, decklid, seats etc are easily returned to stock if you still have the parts. I have saved all the stock parts from my light modding: wheels, exhaust, shifter, and sway bars and if I decide to sell I'll return my car to stock and sell off the parts separately.

As you stated, if you can get 70 cents on the dollar for the parts, you'd end up ahead. Although I think in the end parts may be work 50-60 cents on the dollar, we're not that far apart.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:06 PM
ANJ-911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car!

I agree with road king, the mods you have are worth approximately $0 to the majority of potential buyers and it's likely that you'd have an easier time selling the car stock as well. But you could get lucky with someone that likes the mods you have and it helps move the car, hard to say. Assuming the stock & aftermarket parts are in good condition, I'd suggest you assume that you could sell the used parts for about 50-60% of the new cost, then subtract the labor cost for swapping the parts if any, and decide whether swapping them is worth the time and effort.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

You have some nice and tasteful mods. I think you would be better off putting the stock parts back on and selling it all as factory. Everything you have done is easily reversed which is a plus. I think you will make some more $ this way too by parting out the aftermarket stuff.

Today factory original seems to be the most desirable way people want to buy these cars, so modifications of any kind can turn off some buyers.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:44 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 502 Posts

Asking here will tell you a diff tale.

IMO sell the car as is with the stock parts giving the next owner the option rather than having to deal w/ parting it.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Shuskan3
Rennlist Member

One thought is to provide two options: price as is and price without certain mods. I'm not sure that this yields the best results thought.

I've tried to design/mod this car to the way I'd wanted a 996TT delivered from the factory in 2002. Outside of the wheels, nothing screams 'that isn't the way it came from the factory'. Most folks are just amazed at the era of the interior, it truly looks like a new car interior and doesn't have that early 2000 vibe/look.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:50 PM
Nzo
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I cant imagine you would recoup even close to what it cost on those DB interior pieces and the seats go for a lot and are fairly easy to remove. Why are you considering selling it?
Old 08-15-2017, 03:53 PM
Shuskan3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nzo
I cant imagine you would recoup even close to what it cost on those DB interior pieces and the seats go for a lot and are fairly easy to remove. Why are you considering selling it?
I never get a chance to drive the car. It sits in my garage under a cover and on the battery tender and gets started every 10 days or so and maybe driven (more than just around the block) once every 4-6 weeks.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:08 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

If its worth it to you to go through the trouble to part out the car and sell the aftermarket parts, you will get more ROI compared to selling the car as is. As has been said previously, people like to mod their cars but they don't see the value of the mods when considering the value of the car before purchasing. They see it as included, aka you losing money. If you have the stock parts, I'd return it as close to stock and sell. Especially if its in good shape as you indicate, you should be competitive on the 996TT market within your mileage bracket.

That being said... you also just did the cluch/flywheel, suspension, brakes, tires, etc. It might be worth it to keep it since you just put that money into the car. Any particular reason for selling?

Old 08-15-2017, 05:11 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Let me know if you decide to part it out, I'd be interested in the decklid and potentially some other stuff.

That's very tastefully done car. I wouldn't be turned off by that in any way.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Let me know if you decide to part it out, I'd be interested in the decklid and potentially some other stuff.

That's very tastefully done car. I wouldn't be turned off by that in any way.
tasteful indeed. I failed to include my compliments before!
Old 08-15-2017, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

I would also be interested in the decklid if T10 passed
Old 08-15-2017, 06:36 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Part out the mods... they really don't add much value to the majority of people who would be looking at purchasing your car... even though they are very expensive and tasteful mods.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:41 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

I usually am a "Return it to stock when selling it" kind of guy, but it might be worth giving it a go as-is. Some nice high end mods, and seemingly an influx of new 996TT buyers with fairly deep pockets looking for the best 6TT's, realizing a $60-70K 996TT is a better car for a fraction of the cost for a 993TT. The GT3 seats would be a plus for even a Porsche traditionalist.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Shuskan3
Rennlist Member

Ok, I've driven the car less than 300 miles since August and I live in Texas so no winter excuse here.

I am planning to prepare it for sale this week- I think I will start with the car for sale as-is with all original parts included. If I don't get any traction I will begin parting out the modifications.

Quick Reply: Selling Car with/without Modifications