Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie-Advice needed asap on 2004 996TT

Old 08-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,260 Posts
Default Newbie-Advice needed asap on 996TT's- buying soon

Good afternoon folks. New member here. (David - 45 - police officer - Life long "Car and Motorcycle Guy" )
I should have started this sooner but I just learned about this Forum after my recent interest in and soon to be purchased 996 Turbo. I know most folks hate noobs with questions but I'm on a time crunch, as I've found a car and REALLY want to make the right call on it. Going to look at it Wednesday.

I started out looking at a 2003 C4S with only 23K miles on it and in perfect condition, but started researching and found out about all the IMS/RMS, bore scoring, etc. issues.

I'm a power junky and always have been. I've wanted a 911 Turbo since I can remember. I found out the 996 Turbos have a better engine with less issues.

I've found a 2004 996 Turbo, 34K miles, Looks absolutely perfect in pics. Has a GIAC tune, Exhaust, and different wheels (nice looking). I'm going to look at it tomorrow and look for advice on what to look at and for, PRIOR to paying the $185 for the local Porsche dealer to do a PPI.

Asking price (and they same it's firm) is almost $62K. Car is Silver, has grey interior, 6 Spd. manual, Nav., B&M shift, TUBI Exhaust, GIAC tune....Like said, the claim is that the car is almost perfect inside / out.

I know about 2nd gear pop out. They claim it's good. I do NOT however know about what it'll cost to fix if it ever does. Any info shared would be appreciated.

I know about wing hydraulics failures...They say this one works. If it ever doesn't, what are the options to fix?? Cost??

WHAT OTHER THINGS DO THESE CARS HAVE AS KNOWN PROBLEMS?? Please share any knowledge here if you can please. I need to learn on a FAST curve here.

Thank you for your time and advice in advance. I got on this Porsche kick kinda fast when I actually considering buying one. My luck, I found Exactly what I wanted very quickly, prior to doing research and learning, so I'm looking to you fine folks for help.

David

EDIT: Might as well post the link. Hope I don't lose it to anyone, but so be it if I do. Sounds like I should keep looking anyway. Or make Lower offer on this one for sure.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911

Last edited by Big Swole; 08-11-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Jferrante
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

overpriced if they are firm - I know of 2 cars with sub 30k miles that sold within the past month that sold for 53 and 58k and passed PPI's with no issues

to your questions - proper fix is a rebuild of the second gear and can cost 2k+ and even more for while you are in there items.

2 good options to fix the wing - many threads on this and many threads on what else to look for.
If you are ready to spend 60k on a car I would advise to not rush and do your own research. This car will not sell in the next day or so at that price so you have time.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
...Asking price (and they same it's firm) is almost $62K. Car is Silver, has grey interior, 6 Spd. manual, Nav., B&M shift, TUBI Exhaust, GIAC tune....Like said, the claim is that the car is almost perfect inside / out.

WHAT OTHER THINGS DO THESE CARS HAVE AS KNOWN PROBLEMS?? Please share any knowledge here if you can please. I need to learn on a FAST curve here.
Agree with the above, that sounds overpriced to me.

You should still be able to find 40-50K mile cars for around $50K. Make sure you can live with the color scheme, particularly the gray interior, it's not for everyone and I couldn't do it, had to get black with the perforated leather (vs. the supple which doesn't seem to look sporty or age well).

I'm a bit over 2.5 years into ownership, I bought a bone stock 43K mile car in December 2014 for mid 40s that was a 3 owner car, all service records since new. No transmission or wing issues. I did have to do the 30K service again to replace a bad plug/coil that was exposed by my 1 bar tune. Also had to change out the coolant overflow bottle, it was yellowed and starting to leak, even with a new cap. Now at 52K miles with no major issues and with a Kline exhaust and custom Cobb tune, the car runs very well, esp. on 100 octane - I only drive the car about once a week, but I am trying to get it out more.

Good luck with your search...my parting advice is not to rush, you should reject a few cars after close scrutiny. You will learn from each interaction and ultimately will end up with a better car. Also, try to meet with a few local guys who own 996 Turbos, they will be a wealth of knowledge.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Excellent advice so far folks. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have found several 2001s for less money but I'm just wondering how much more per year newer these cars are worth? I figured since this one is a 2004 that it would be worth closer to high 50s compared to the lower 50s or higher 40s.

i'm on the fence about the interior as well. I think it looks very classy but a black interior would probably be less maintenance and show less wear.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

I need to learn on a FAST curve here.

My advice is to take your time and not to rush into this.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
My advice is to take your time and not to rush into this.

I agree. Thank you.
I guess there will be plenty out there, but I was reading about how all of these are possibly going up in value and did not want to miss the window for my budget. I really do not want to spend $60,000 on one. 50 was going to be my budget, but I tend to steer towards really nice quality stuff if I'm going to spend the money, I might as well buy exactly what I want.

I am very picky on color. So her is the only color I truly want. All of my other vehicles and motorcycles or silver. It's just my thing.

I also wanted a lower mileage car so if they do go up in value, I will not lose much if I decide to resale someday, but I guess that's not the way to look at this purchase.

If there A mileage limit that most people will look for on a turbo car? I'm not a stranger to modified fast vehicles, as I've had many. I know the turbo life is not forever on any turbo. I also know that boost will eventually wear out an engine over time as well. It looks as if these cars have a pretty good history with higher mileage though.

If there are any specific threads on this forum that you could post links to that I need to be reading prior to purchase, that would also be very much appreciated. I will start searching on my own but was just asking about specific threads that may have been helpful to other members.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

I also wanted a lower mileage car so if they do go up in value, I will not lose much if I decide to resale someday, but I guess that's not the way to look at this purchase.
I agree.

if there are any specific threads on this forum that you could post links to that I need to be reading prior to purchase, that would also be very much appreciated. I will start searching on my own but was just asking about specific threads that may have been helpful to other members.
You will find MANY threads and posts here regarding purchase considerations. Take your time and do your homework.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:35 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

sounds a little pricey to me.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Excellent advice so far folks. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have found several 2001s for less money but I'm just wondering how much more per year newer these cars are worth? I figured since this one is a 2004 that it would be worth closer to high 50s compared to the lower 50s or higher 40s.

i'm on the fence about the interior as well. I think it looks very classy but a black interior would probably be less maintenance and show less wear.
Out of curiosity, I just checked out ebay to have a look at ASKING prices. They sure are on the rise compared to 2-3 years ago, but in searching completed auctions, there doesn't seem to be many sales at the higher dollars.

Interestingly enough, I saw the car you mentioned for sale, looks like it's got the supple leather plus an aftermarket steering wheel.

If you've got a $50-55K budget, you will have plenty of choices....but you'll need to take your time and wait for "the one". Probably won't come from a dealer though...look for a private seller.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Does sound pricey. I passed on a totally stock silver with grey interior because it did not move me, could have made some $ on this one. It looked "nice" is the word i would use for it. Look around on the forum and i think you will see that the grey interior takes a hit on resale value. I ended up paying almost $10K more for a modified silver with black with similar mileage. I found the car that moved me and have no regrets. These cars can "move" you easily and quite quickly. Make SURE to drive several cars before you decide on one.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:56 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Id be around 55k for that car. that is the worst color combo IMO, many fish in the sea. would not be over 60 for silver/gray.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:26 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

The good news if you like silver is that it's one of the most common colors. Agreed that a non-X50 silver car is unlikely to be worth $60k+ right now.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:27 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Might at well post the link from Autotrader. Take a look and let me know what you think folks.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
sounds a little pricey to me.
Max offer I should make?

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Does sound pricey. I passed on a totally stock silver with grey interior because it did not move me, could have made some $ on this one. It looked "nice" is the word i would use for it. Look around on the forum and i think you will see that the grey interior takes a hit on resale value. I ended up paying almost $10K more for a modified silver with black with similar mileage. I found the car that moved me and have no regrets. These cars can "move" you easily and quite quickly. Make SURE to drive several cars before you decide on one.
A shame about this color combo. But if bought right, what is " right "?? $55K??

Originally Posted by jason952
Id be around 55k for that car. that is the worst color combo IMO, many fish in the sea. would not be over 60 for silver/gray.

$55K max?
Old 08-08-2017, 03:32 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

BTW... If anyone finds a 996TT for sale at a decent deal, please post links here.

Thanks y'all. I know I'm new and asking a lot, but I do appreciate the time you guys are taking to help.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:35 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Keep an eye on the "Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds" and "Prestige" threads in this forum, and also on the RL classifieds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie-Advice needed asap on 2004 996TT