Sponsored by:

Yokohama A052 - Any Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 AM
hybridporky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Wheels look great. Just be sure you make some room for them by bending back the brackets on the rear fender liners and use a heat gun to form the plastic back and out of the way if you haven't done so already.
Uhhh. I knew they would be tight, but could fit potentially without rolling the fenders.

Was just planning on getting the fenders rolled. Do you have a similar setup?
Old 08-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by hybridporky
Uhhh. I knew they would be tight, but could fit potentially without rolling the fenders.

You might not need to roll the fenders. But the tires may rub on the inside edge by the rear fender liners.

It's an easy correction. There are brackets under there you can bend back and then use a heat gun to form the black plastic fenders liners back to create a little more space. You only need about half an inch.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:47 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 991 Posts

Get the GT2 rear brackets Joel, about $75 per side if I recall. That'll give you a bit more room on the inside and save you some headaches. Again, I highly recommend rolling the rear fenders. Very easy to do especially if it's a mild roll like on a GT2. Wheels are gonna look sharp. With a 245 you can expect a little rubbing on the front TT fender liner depending on your caster but plenty of easy fixes out there for that. Looking forward to the finished product. Buzz me if you have any questions.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Even more E88s to tempt me! Powdrhound slingin some more crack rock haha! Great looking wheels. Really looking forward to what you think about the new wheels with the tires. That ceramic coating is magical stuff. My Dad has his vette grand sport wheels done with it, and they are so easy to clean its criminal.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:21 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
Even more E88s to tempt me! Powdrhound slingin some more crack rock haha! Great looking wheels. Really looking forward to what you think about the new wheels with the tires. That ceramic coating is magical stuff. My Dad has his vette grand sport wheels done with it, and they are so easy to clean its criminal.
Got Hybridporky set up with a sweet suspension to really make the E88s and yokos shine. Looking forward to seeing it all come together for him.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:26 PM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lowered on Ohlins here. concerned with going wider than stock.

think GT2 brackets would suffice?
Old 08-12-2017, 12:42 AM
hybridporky
Instructor

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Get the GT2 rear brackets Joel, about $75 per side if I recall. That'll give you a bit more room on the inside and save you some headaches. Again, I highly recommend rolling the rear fenders. Very easy to do especially if it's a mild roll like on a GT2. Wheels are gonna look sharp. With a 245 you can expect a little rubbing on the front TT fender liner depending on your caster but plenty of easy fixes out there for that. Looking forward to the finished product. Buzz me if you have any questions.

Got Hybridporky set up with a sweet suspension to really make the E88s and yokos shine. Looking forward to seeing it all come together for him.
Thanks John! Will look in to the brackets.

I found this company called "Always Dry" that had a product very similar to Ceramic Pro. They recently released a new product called 9H extreme, and it apparently self heals with heat. What i found great about the product, was how much longer it took to flash, so it was a lot easier to apply. The shine on the bare metal barrels was night and day as well.

BTW, Powdrhound set me up with the a set of JRZ RS1s and i have to say, that was the most bang for buck mod i have ever done to the car. Before, the car drove a lot more "Audi Like". It had H&R lowering springs, on the stock shocks, and rolled on exit ramps.

The 997.2 GT3 has always been my benchmark car. With the JRZ's + Monoball Mounts + LCA Bushings, the car is so so SO much more precise. I have yet to take it on the track, but modern tech on the 996 TT makes is such a joy to drive, with tremendous power.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:54 AM
brendonj
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the GT2 rear brackets Joel, about $75 per side if I recall. That'll give you a bit more room on the inside and save you some headaches
Hi, what are the GT2 rear brackets please, and who sells these?

PS Powdrhound did you get my PM re the GT3 9" front E88's?

Many thanks

Last edited by brendonj; 08-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Thanks John! Will look in to the brackets.

I found this company called "Always Dry" that had a product very similar to Ceramic Pro. They recently released a new product called 9H extreme, and it apparently self heals with heat. What i found great about the product, was how much longer it took to flash, so it was a lot easier to apply. The shine on the bare metal barrels was night and day as well.

BTW, Powdrhound set me up with the a set of JRZ RS1s and i have to say, that was the most bang for buck mod i have ever done to the car. Before, the car drove a lot more "Audi Like". It had H&R lowering springs, on the stock shocks, and rolled on exit ramps.

The 997.2 GT3 has always been my benchmark car. With the JRZ's + Monoball Mounts + LCA Bushings, the car is so so SO much more precise. I have yet to take it on the track, but modern tech on the 996 TT makes is such a joy to drive, with tremendous power.
Is it still somewhat reasonable on the street? I saw the post about you getting your suspension from him and inquired about it. Its between JRZ and the Ohlins for me.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:06 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brendonj
Hi, what are the GT2 rear brackets please, and who sells these?

PS Powdrhound did you get my PM re the GT3 9" front E88's?

Many thanks
You can get the brackets from any Porsche dealer. The part number is in PET. I can look up the bumper later or do a google search.

Sorry, I did not get any PM from you. Just checked. I sell quite a few of the E88s so feel to let me know what exactly you're looking for.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:31 AM
hybridporky
Instructor

Is it still somewhat reasonable on the street? I saw the post about you getting your suspension from him and inquired about it. Its between JRZ and the Ohlins for me.
It really depends on the type of ride you are looking at i guess. It was actually Ohlins v. JRZs for me as well. But when i found out the customization available for the JRZs, it was really a no brainer. Especially when the extra cost was not much, when you packaged in the Monoball mounts + LCA bushings + Drop links. John also shipped the entire suspension assembled, so it was pretty easy of an install.

In terms of drivability, i have it setup pretty stiff, and it does not crash over bumps or undulations. The thing i would point out though, is that the monoball mounts cause for a little noise when the road gets bumpy. Nothing annoying.

To provide a better illustration, if a single mass flywheel's chatter was 10/10 in terms of noise, the monoball mounts would cause like a 3/10 noise, and only when the road gets a little rough. So its not always present. Best way to avoid it altogether would be to just dodge the bumps, and thats actually a lot of fun with this setup. The car has zero roll, and has becomes so much more nimble on its feet, the steering has added weight, and really changed the entire dynamic of the car. I always felt that my car's handling dynamics felt like an Audi RS5. But that has since all changed, and the car does corner like its on rails, and inspires so much feedback and confidence. Definitely not a GT3, but its close enough for me.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:50 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

It really depends on the type of ride you are looking at i guess. It was actually Ohlins v. JRZs for me as well. But when i found out the customization available for the JRZs, it was really a no brainer. Especially when the extra cost was not much, when you packaged in the Monoball mounts + LCA bushings + Drop links. John also shipped the entire suspension assembled, so it was pretty easy of an install.

In terms of drivability, i have it setup pretty stiff, and it does not crash over bumps or undulations. The thing i would point out though, is that the monoball mounts cause for a little noise when the road gets bumpy. Nothing annoying.

To provide a better illustration, if a single mass flywheel's chatter was 10/10 in terms of noise, the monoball mounts would cause like a 3/10 noise, and only when the road gets a little rough. So its not always present. Best way to avoid it altogether would be to just dodge the bumps, and thats actually a lot of fun with this setup. The car has zero roll, and has becomes so much more nimble on its feet, the steering has added weight, and really changed the entire dynamic of the car. I always felt that my car's handling dynamics felt like an Audi RS5. But that has since all changed, and the car does corner like its on rails, and inspires so much feedback and confidence. Definitely not a GT3, but its close enough for me.
Perfect response for what I am looking for, sounds like we are on the same page as far as that goes. Did you do any other supporting mods like swaybars etc, or Just the extras John provided with the suspension? I agree, you do get a lot for the money for what he is offering. What settings and ride height are you running?
Old 08-13-2017, 03:49 PM
hybridporky
Instructor

Perfect response for what I am looking for, sounds like we are on the same page as far as that goes. Did you do any other supporting mods like swaybars etc, or Just the extras John provided with the suspension? I agree, you do get a lot for the money for what he is offering. What settings and ride height are you running?
Zero regrets on the JRZs, plus John is really an encyclopedia for these cars. Which is a huge help.

I took a screenshot of the suspension mods i did during my ownership. But prior to me, the previous owner did get H&R adjustable sway bars front and rear (stiffest rear, mid front) I then went ahead and added the following:

*Gonna have to get back to you on the settings. My tech helped dial it in with me, and i have exactly counted backwards to see what its on.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Zero regrets on the JRZs, plus John is really an encyclopedia for these cars. Which is a huge help.

I took a screenshot of the suspension mods i did during my ownership. But prior to me, the previous owner did get H&R adjustable sway bars front and rear (stiffest rear, mid front) I then went ahead and added the following:

*Gonna have to get back to you on the settings. My tech helped dial it in with me, and i have exactly counted backwards to see what its on.
Good deal, thanks for the info. Let me know if you ever figure out what they are set to. Its just nice to have that info from peoples setups for some reference point.

My suspension is bone stock right now. I had some funding set aside to get that taken care of this year, but did the coolant line fix and a bunch of extra stuff while we had the engine out. Then at that same time, I came across a set of Recaro seats, harnesses, and roll cage at a price from a friend in the club that was too good to pass up. Poof, bye bye suspension funds haha! Hopefully next season it will come along.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:18 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Hankook Ventus TD

Hard Compound. DOT & rain approved.

I ordered a set to try them out @ 235-40-18 & 295-30-18.

Will let everyone know how they perform & whats up with them soon.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...0&rd=18&cs=295

Pricing is good compared to the other R streets.

Order canceled, Discount tire could get the tires in the size i want. Back ordered.
Attached Images  

Last edited by RDS928S; 08-16-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Yokohama A052 - Any Feedback?