Sponsored by:

She's here! First Impressions - '03 X50

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all!

Rick - if you can find that TSB that would be great. In the receipts I have from a previous owner, it looks like this issue has been looked at previously and the headliner was taken out and they replaced some sort of clip.

I think the fuel smell might have been my own fault but will continue to monitor - I reved the car up a bit when I pulled into the garage - nothing crazy, but I wanted to hear it . I took the car out for another drive after this post and just shut it off when I pulled in and I don't think there's a fuel smell now.

Based on what I read, I think you all might be right that the accumulator could be going - however, shouldn't that only be a symptom at startup?

I'm definitely going to get an oil change - a sampled test is a good idea too.

I'm also going to oil the crap out of the seats sometime soon as they feel a bit stiff.

Super happy to be part of the club!

pfbz - PM sent.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by DarenB68
Congrats, lovely looking car. Just had mine for about 4 weeks. Mines the non X-50 but has the pocket power tuner to give it a little extra somethin' somethin'. Same here with a few rock chips. aside from that, totally stock. The sunroof had apparently never been opened before I got it.
What is a pocket power tuner?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtpeper
Thanks all!

Rick - if you can find that TSB that would be great. In the receipts I have from a previous owner, it looks like this issue has been looked at previously and the headliner was taken out and they replaced some sort of clip.

I think the fuel smell might have been my own fault but will continue to monitor - I reved the car up a bit when I pulled into the garage - nothing crazy, but I wanted to hear it . I took the car out for another drive after this post and just shut it off when I pulled in and I don't think there's a fuel smell now.

Based on what I read, I think you all might be right that the accumulator could be going - however, shouldn't that only be a symptom at startup?

I'm definitely going to get an oil change - a sampled test is a good idea too.

I'm also going to oil the crap out of the seats sometime soon as they feel a bit stiff.

Super happy to be part of the club!

pfbz - PM sent.
It is best to let the car idle for a few seconds before shutting it down. That helps the oil pumps to get everything settled in the right places.

Sorry I did not pick up on the clutch/accumulator issue. It all felt fine to me.

Glad you like the radar detector. And yes, she is a rocket once those turbos spool up.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 07-25-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats on the ride...glad to see some new cars joining the group!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

check to make sure Pentosin (the clutch fluid) is not migrating from the power steering side of the slave cylinder to the clutch side of the slave cylinder. You do this by checking your clutch fluid in the frunk. If it is over flowing or really high the fluid is bleeding over and the slave cylinder is shot. The hard clutch pedal when the car is off is from a failed accumulator. These two items are known fail points and damn near wear items. I got 60k out of mine before i replaced them. Parts are about 600 bux from sonnen.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 PM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find! welcome to the club.

Couple of things, .9 is normal for an x50 car. they run not only larger turbos, but more boost than the K16 cars- from the factory.

id replace your accumulator for sure, its good peace of mind and could resolve your clutch worries.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have an 03 X50, lowered, Tuned and more. Love the car, can race it then go out to dinner in it. I bought mine with 27K miles on it years ago.

Good luck and enjoy it. I use my car, yes it has chips on the nose.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Did not read the whole thread, but replace the expansion tank and cap if it has not been done yet.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:26 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I am! Are you as well? I'm looking for a good shop to bring the car to for some routine service as well.
Take it to Black Canyon Performance. Good friends of mine. Tell them John sent you. Prestige is great. If you go to Stevinson, ask for Chance. He's their top tech and knows these cars well. Stay AWAY from 3zero3.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:39 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Made an appointment at Storz for next week. I'll see what they think and what I think of them!

Thanks,
Old 07-25-2017, 04:57 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Made an appointment at Storz for next week. I'll see what they think and what I think of them!

Thanks,
Storz are good guys. They specialize in old air cooled stuff much more so than the newer cars.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I second Stevinson and Chance. He is the only one that works on my cars.

As to the "stiffness" of the sport seats that is normal in all the Porsches I have had with Sport Seats. I even put tons of conditioner on them (which is smart in Colorado anyway).

Congrats
Old 07-25-2017, 06:49 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Perfect. Thanks for the info!

Tim - would love to meet up with you sometime too - your Arena Red X50 looks gorgeous.

Regards,
Old 07-25-2017, 06:57 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks Dude! I actually am in SE Aurora. I have some projects I need to do. Need to get her up on the lift and replace my drop links and back brake pads etc. etc. Always something to do.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your clutch may need a new accumulator and the slave maybe on its way out. Look under the front hood and see if there is any signs of clutch fluid under or around the master cylinder reservoir. If so you need a new slave cylinder. These cars have power assist clutches that utilize the power steering pump to assist. If the check valve goes bad in the slave it pushes clutch fluid or pentosin to the master cylinder overflowing it.In this condition not only does the cltuch get funky but you can run out of power steering fluid. Secondly these cars have AC disconnect. When you get on them with the AC on, the AC shuts off.

Quick Reply: She's here! First Impressions - '03 X50