Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche - a 996 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:25 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I want to know if the OP ever got his car!? I'mg guessing not or there would have been an update. Then again, perhaps he's too busy driving it..... I hope it's the latter.

Originally Posted by Zeus993
In looking for info on traction control I ran into this old thread. It's interesting if you read the whole thread, all the advice to the 30 year old OP not buy a GT3 or any other Porsche, save money for retirement etc... I know some of you are in the financial investment business and will have altering viewpoints etc... but with respect, now at the young age of 62, I'm super happy with the financial risks I've taken to drive great cars, travel the world, and with the somewhat reckless financial moves I've taken all in the vein of "have fun today as you may be totally screwed later". And back up my choice, just this last month had a 55-year-old client of mine drop stone cold DEAD in his kitchen with his wife and another 62 years old discover now a failing mitral value. Both have good retirement bank accounts. For me, I do recognize that I will at some time have to exit this life BUT I will exit with a lifetime of memories and not a large bank account. With the common "live for retirement" advice, I question whether or not we are creating a generation of people that are missing out on life in the "here and now" and putting some misplaced faith in the uncertain fact of whether they'll live to see it?

Now wishing to open up a furnace of flames, just some good discussion in between the time I have to go and drive. Thanks for reading...
Everyone has to find the financial balance between fun and future that suits them I guess. I bought my 911 when I was 23. It was at the time my only car, and I bought it against the advice of similar style comments from forum members to "buy something sensible". But the 911 was my dream, and you only live once. So I bought it on a loan, but one I was comfortable paying off within 3 years (and ended up being less time) while still putting money aside for the future (less than I was putting towards the car mind you!). The risk was very low imo - worst case scenario, sell the car. Best decision I ever made. The people I've met, contacts I've made, and memories I have thanks to this car far surpass the monetary amount spent.... the bonus is that it's now worth 3x as much as when I bought it.

Next up: 996 GT3!
Old 11-13-2018, 04:34 PM
ad93
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 996 GT3 four years ago when I was 21. It was "totaled" when I acquired it but after some very minor body repair and a complete respray it was all fixed up. I paid cash for my car because loans aren't an option on salvaged vehicles. I had been buying and selling cars for years until I had earned enough for the GT3. I don't regret the purchase one bit. These cars have increased in value over the years which was one reason why I felt I had to buy the car asap. Sure, I could've invested the money in the stock market in 2014 and earned a nice return but I would've missed out on four years of unforgettable memories.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:03 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
I want to know if the OP ever got his car!? I'mg guessing not or there would have been an update. Then again, perhaps he's too busy driving it..... I hope it's the latter.

Everyone has to find the financial balance between fun and future that suits them I guess. I bought my 911 when I was 23. It was at the time my only car, and I bought it against the advice of similar style comments from forum members to "buy something sensible". But the 911 was my dream, and you only live once. So I bought it on a loan, but one I was comfortable paying off within 3 years (and ended up being less time) while still putting money aside for the future (less than I was putting towards the car mind you!). The risk was very low imo - worst case scenario, sell the car. Best decision I ever made. The people I've met, contacts I've made, and memories I have thanks to this car far surpass the monetary amount spent.... the bonus is that it's now worth 3x as much as when I bought it.

Next up: 996 GT3!
Originally Posted by ad93
I bought my 996 GT3 four years ago when I was 21. It was "totaled" when I acquired it but after some very minor body repair and a complete respray it was all fixed up. I paid cash for my car because loans aren't an option on salvaged vehicles. I had been buying and selling cars for years until I had earned enough for the GT3. I don't regret the purchase one bit. These cars have increased in value over the years which was one reason why I felt I had to buy the car asap. Sure, I could've invested the money in the stock market in 2014 and earned a nice return but I would've missed out on four years of unforgettable memories.
Amen guys - there we go. Value of memories? Priceless. And the value of Porsches? Most times rising. What a brand.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:53 PM
PRXD
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahah ! I wish i could tell you i did and i was indeed too busy driving it.

Let's say in my country (Belgium), a lot of monetary elements stacks up against that kind of purchase (insurance, registration tax, yearly tax) and then you can add the unforeseen events that leads you to the Porsche garage to empty your wallet.

I'm sorry that all i'm referring to is money but that is the main blocking point right now. And even if i said **** it let's go, i'm still not any good with mechanical stuff so i wouldn't even know if i'm buying a *good car* or an abused one.

But i still dream about it , and since it's a bit over the top for me, i'm now looking at Z4M coupe.. (not the same kind of car i know ).
Old 11-17-2018, 11:33 AM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Getting to a GT3

Originally Posted by PRXD
.... it's a bit over the top for me, i'm now looking at Z4M coupe.. (not the same kind of car i know ).
Nothing else is the same. You'll get there in time. We all take a different path to get to where we want to. Here's mine.

I first craved a 911 at age 18,
but at age 27 I got an RX-7,
at age 32 I got a 928,
at 44 a Lotus S4 Esprit
at 45 a 928 S4
at 53 the 911 GT3

PS I started saving for retirement at age 37 and retired at age 52. Another path that varies for all of us. Up to about age 59, customs and border patrol agents would say, "you're too young to retire", I'd respond, "no wife, no kids" . FYI, all that freedom allowed me to take the car on periodic month-long trips, driving 6 mountain ranges along the way. Glad I did it all before age 65.

Last edited by black04; 11-17-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-17-2018, 03:12 PM
PRXD
Intermediate

Heh, that's inspiring really

And i totally understand what you are saying,also very much agree on the "let's enjoy it while it lasts" thing.

Well i'd go for a yellow speed 996 GT3 if i could. Maybe one day who knows. I'll keep you guys posted if that ever happens
Old 11-17-2018, 11:12 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Heh, that's inspiring really

And i totally understand what you are saying,also very much agree on the "let's enjoy it while it lasts" thing.

Well i'd go for a yellow speed 996 GT3 if i could. Maybe one day who knows. I'll keep you guys posted if that ever happens
If I can do it, you can too!

Old 11-21-2018, 03:42 PM
PRXD
Intermediate

Good looking mate ! Almost perfect (i prefer the tacos wing ^^)

What do you think about that one?

https://www.2ememain.be/autos/porsch...461384641.html
Old 11-21-2018, 11:15 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

That's cool too. We never received the 996.1 GT3 in the US.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:05 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 506 Likes on 323 Posts

A 996 GT3 of the first generation is a collector car now, so you should evaluate it a such:
- Collect the VIN
- Check with Porsche that this is a real GT3 close to its original configuration.
- Stick to the original configuration or ,at least, be sure to have everything to go back quickly to the original configuration.

Quick Reply: First Porsche - a 996 GT3?