Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering rack / pump known issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:00 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts
Default steering rack / pump known issues?

I thought i saw on this forum that 996 variants have known issues with either the rack or the pump.

I just did a search under "steering rack" and "steering pump" for 996 / 996 GT3 forums and saw nothing of interest.
My car's system makes a bit of a "screeching" noise when turning wheels while stopped. (i know, don't do that).

Pentosin is topped off and there are no obvious leaks.

Maybe I read about this on the 997 board as an upgrade or?

I'm willing to DIY to repair, just don't know which path to take.

Thanks

Craig
Old 05-14-2017, 10:33 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-on-my-tt.html

a search of power steering squeal in the 996tt forum yields many results
Old 05-15-2017, 02:09 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

thanks
I'll expand search to the 996 Turbo forum.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
I thought i saw on this forum that 996 variants have known issues with either the rack or the pump.

I just did a search under "steering rack" and "steering pump" for 996 / 996 GT3 forums and saw nothing of interest.
My car's system makes a bit of a "screeching" noise when turning wheels while stopped. (i know, don't do that).

Thanks

Craig
Both of my cars make a bit of power steering noise when turning the wheel full lock. The pump is working plenty hard at full lock and I avoid using full lock unless I absolutely need to and the car is moving and I never leave the wheel at full lock with engine idling.

The Turbo power steering system has a valve that can go bad and cause a high pitched whistle under some conditions. I have never come upon a report of this being a problem with the 996 GT2/GT3 models.

Some models a high pressure relief valve can fail and supply the rack with fluid at too high a pressure. This overwhelms the seals and fluid seeps out. The fluid is caught by the dust boots.

The only clue there's a problem is the power steering pump gets noisy because the fluid level is low. If this happens this can ruin the pump. The rack is already "ruined" and the line with the bad valve needs to be replaced too.

Whenever you check the power steering fluid and it is low be sure you arrange to check the rack dust boots. Give 'em a grope. If they feel like they are full of fluid...
Old 05-16-2017, 10:25 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen

Thanks

Craig
Check the bottom of your engine. If you can see a little baked junk it's probably fluid from the power steering pump leaking. Just replaced mine.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:33 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
The pump is working plenty hard at full lock and I avoid using full lock unless I absolutely need to and the car is moving and I never leave the wheel at full lock with engine idling.

The Turbo power steering system has a valve that can go bad and cause a high pitched whistle under some conditions. I have never come upon a report of this being a problem with the 996 GT2/GT3 models.

Thanks Macster, that's good advice for nearly every PS equipped car.
No fluid loss over the past 14 months.

Cheers

Craig
Old 05-17-2017, 02:28 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Check the bottom of your engine. If you can see a little baked junk it's probably fluid from the power steering pump leaking. Just replaced mine.
+1 Me too.

Quick Reply: steering rack / pump known issues?