Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full cage

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 04:56 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Fall-line does many version of cages for their customers. A friend who's on their full program, while expensive you get what you pay for!
Old 04-22-2017, 08:57 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DFWCanuck
I had a safety devices cage in my 996gt3. Definitely had plenty of clearance relative to the interior with no cutting including the dashboard. Made getting in and out of a fixed race seat with a halo quite difficult. Decided to upgrade to a clubsport as egress was demonstrably easier when tested out in another GT3 with similar set up. Feel "better" now. But know that i will eventually go to a weld-in with NASCAR style safety.
Thanks, any pictures?
Old 04-26-2017, 02:56 PM
DFWCanuck
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

here's a couple with safety devices installed. they're not the greatest but you can see that the cage and door bars fit without modifying the dash and door cards. If your seat is on a slider, or not a halo seat then you won't have any entrance/exit issue like I did. in one of shots you can see how much gap there is to the A-pillar. JFerrante has posted one or two pics of safety devices cage inside his 996 turbo.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:09 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

What is the best option for a full cage in 996gt3?
If this is really your question, then a full custom, gut the car including doors, pull the glass, etc.

If your question is really
What is the best option for a full cage in 996gt3, and let me continue driving the car on the street
then save your money and stay with a half cage.

Full cages give you very hard surfaces that you can bounce off of in a street collision, unless you wear a 6 point all the time - but then these are NOT DOT legal and you can get ticketed for no seatbelt use...

OTOH - If this is a track only car, then it becomes a value proposition: 'Do I really want to make my expensive GT3 into a race car when I can buy a used 996 Cup car?'

I have had both bolt in and full custom cages in various cars and there is a huge difference...

Ray
Old 04-28-2017, 09:40 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by rbahr
If this is really your question, then a full custom, gut the car including doors, pull the glass, etc.

If your question is really then save your money and stay with a half cage.

Full cages give you very hard surfaces that you can bounce off of in a street collision, unless you wear a 6 point all the time - but then these are NOT DOT legal and you can get ticketed for no seatbelt use...

OTOH - If this is a track only car, then it becomes a value proposition: 'Do I really want to make my expensive GT3 into a race car when I can buy a used 996 Cup car?'

I have had both bolt in and full custom cages in various cars and there is a huge difference...

Ray
Thanks for your input. Car is heading over to Europe for the summer.
First of all, I like the car. It's well set up. I don't drive it a lot on the street.

It really simplifies a lot if the car is street legal.
Ring touristfahren, car needs a street tag. Scuderia Hanset, need street tag.
A lot of track day organizers stop you at the gate if your car is not street legal.

No problem to pass inspection with full cage in Sweden.
We have a lot of clubsport cars with front section mounted. More trouble with wing and other stuff. Like quick release steering wheel.

Will try to get a full cage done without stripping the interior. Keep doors and such.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:33 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 121 Posts

Euro Series 1 car sold at Sotheby's Paris auction this year:
http://www.rmsothebys.com/pa17/paris...bsport/1701777

The car below is set up as a Euro GT3 Clubsport. Cage is factory. A lot of work went into fit/finish like a factory installation.
http://www.porsport.com/2004_gt3
Attached Images   
Old 05-01-2017, 04:29 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by sithot
Euro Series 1 car sold at Sotheby's Paris auction this year:
http://www.rmsothebys.com/pa17/paris...bsport/1701777

The car below is set up as a Euro GT3 Clubsport. Cage is factory. A lot of work went into fit/finish like a factory installation.
http://www.porsport.com/2004_gt3
Thanks for posting those pics. I'll send those to the guy that will help me fabricate and install.

Quick Reply: Full cage