Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Tech Equip Roll Bar Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 12:45 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roll Bar and GT3 seats installation, 10 hours...
Happiness, priceless!!!

Last edited by rockitman; 09-19-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:00 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

"A tip from my dealer. You should remove the carpet and cut a slot in the plastic panel wide enough for the bar and the carpet. Then when the bar is installed the carpet will press inward into the slot behind the bar. This will avoid the crushing.'"

SO RIGHT mike, i told my dear friend rockit but he forged ahead non-plussed and came out negatively cambered in the the head
Old 11-15-2003, 01:09 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by watt
"A tip from my dealer. You should remove the carpet and cut a slot in the plastic panel wide enough for the bar and the carpet. Then when the bar is installed the carpet will press inward into the slot behind the bar. This will avoid the crushing.'"

SO RIGHT mike, i told my dear friend rockit but he forged ahead non-plussed and came out negatively cambered in the the head
Old 11-15-2003, 02:08 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by bob_dallas
Clubsport bar looks a little more like the Das-sport bar than the tequipment, at least in the rear section. Karl - I believe you have this bar, how long does it take to install? Their website says 3 1/2 hours but I'm assuming that's a very conservative timeframe. I think you said it's significantly easier than the tequipment bar. I'm wondering if it's feasible to put it in for track events and then take it back out. I can't get the instructions link on their website to work.
The DAS-Sport bar is a simple install. It comes in 3 pieces. The rear piece is bolted to the 3 bolts on top of each of the shock towers. Each of the front legs is then bolted to the rear piece and to the front seat belt mounts in the side rails. Total install time is less than two hours, if I remember correctly. It will probably take more time to install the harnesses than the bar.

Given there is no rear seat and if you are using GT3 seats there is virtually no rear space access, it is probably easier to just leave the bar in once it is installed. You can still get soft luggage in between the cross bars if it doesn't fit in the trunk.

Karl
Old 11-15-2003, 07:13 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great news, thanks Karl. I am actually putting a rear seat belt in on the passenger side for trips with my four year old in back. I can easily get a car seat back there and I only have a GT3 seat on the drivers side for easier access. Not sure how much I'll use this in practice but he and mom want to ride together sometimes.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:41 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you going to install 6pts as well?

Guess the only thing left after that will be to be drive the car and complete the break in process
Old 11-15-2003, 12:22 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by MJones
Are you going to install 6pts as well?

Guess the only thing left after that will be to be drive the car and complete the break in process
Break in should be complete in a week or two if the weather holds...6points??? Maybe down the road. More interested in getting more air to the motor and improving the throttle response. Either GruppeM ram airbox/cone filter or Fabspeed Motorsport 996 Performance Cold Air Airbox Upgrade/Enhancement Kit: (Fabspeed Carbon fiber style muffler block off plate eliminates internal muffler in stock Porsche airbox, Fabspeed MAF Ring Replaces MAF Screen.)
-.42 seconds faster acceleration 3000-6000 RPM
-4 ply silicone tube - better flow from airbox to throttle body
-25% better airflow = more power coupled with the BMC filter
Old 11-15-2003, 12:53 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Consider the RS air box and deck lid for proven performance gains at 125+mph.
Consider the amount of R&D Porsche invests vs the claims for the aftermarket add ons.
Get some performance seat time in your vehicle and I think you will find that what you have will fulfill and exceed your needs quite well.
Remember: the gas pedal is a no brainer, and the brake pedal is the hardest to master
Old 11-16-2003, 07:32 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by MJones
Consider the RS air box and deck lid for proven performance gains at 125+mph.
Hopefully Gert will come through with it. I would prefer to go with that route...
Old 11-18-2003, 12:12 PM
03GT2-Jonathan
Instructor

I love the rollbar from Porsche. But is it more, or do the welds look very sloppy. I've seen a few in person and wasn't impressed with Porsche's skills. What do you think?
Old 11-18-2003, 05:46 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

The stainless welds are a nice scalloped consistancy, nothing sloppy about them , at least on my bar. It would be interesting to know if other competitive bars are hardened steel or stainless...Stainless is much more difficult to lay a smooth weld bead compared to regular steel. I love it and would never dream of covering up it's beauty with paint, like some of the other bars out there....
Old 11-24-2003, 10:52 PM
yongster
Racer

Rockitman,

Where did you order the roll bar from? Carnewal? Do you have enough rearward seat movement with the roll bar in place?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:07 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Hey Rockit - I recall you saying you are 6'8". Looking at that unpadded rollbar makes me nervous thinking where my head hits the seat and I'm 6'7". If you move around in a wreck and your head goes back it looks to me like you'll hit that rollbar - have you thought through this scenario?

I don't remember the specific statistic but it's not pretty and a lot of the "safety experts" recommend not using a rollbar without a helmet or at least some heavy duty padding. I think there was a thread about this on the racing forum not too long ago. If you are interested you can probably search around on there.

BTW, I agree - that stainless is beautiful all polished up, might not look so good in red though. It's your melon, just food for thought.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:13 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Here's the thread about rollbars in street cars from the racing forum. Some interesting information in Radical Racer's post about halfway down...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=rollbar
Old 11-25-2003, 12:07 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by yongster
Rockitman,

Where did you order the roll bar from? Carnewal? Do you have enough rearward seat movement with the roll bar in place?
The bar came from carnewal, but I bought it from a private party, unused...

Quick Reply: Porsche Tech Equip Roll Bar Install