Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS Hydrolic Fluid / Line

Old 04-08-2017, 11:27 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default PS Hydrolic Fluid / Line

Well, seems like the line near the coupling is leaking fluid. Not sure how long it has been leaking. So far no difference in the car. I did check the cap and the stick indicates it needs fluid.
1) Is the picture the right fluid?
2) Can the (looks like brass) coupling be replaced without the line. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to replace the whole line. If coupling replaced how difficult. I can see only the airbox and pulley are in the way. I am sure it would be a messy job with fluid to replace.
3) Anything I can do to "patch" or just a little fluid can leak.
Attached Images    
Old 04-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Well, seems like the line near the coupling is leaking fluid. Not sure how long it has been leaking. So far no difference in the car. I did check the cap and the stick indicates it needs fluid.
1) Is the picture the right fluid?
2) Can the (looks like brass) coupling be replaced without the line. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to replace the whole line. If coupling replaced how difficult. I can see only the airbox and pulley are in the way. I am sure it would be a messy job with fluid to replace.
3) Anything I can do to "patch" or just a little fluid can leak.
Certainly looks like the right fluid. I've never bought fluids, except oil, from any place other the dealer, so I don't know if there is any difference between the Pentosin sold by the dealer vs. Pentosin sold at other places.

Generally the line coupling is such a part of the line the coupling is not replaceable separately. For instance the item you have connected to "How to separate from line?" is crimped to the hose and is not replaceable.

You might be able to remove the line and along with it the leaking connector/fittings and take the hardware to a shop that specializes in hydraulic line repair and have something done. I've never had to do this and in fact I can't ever recall having any problem with a hydraulic line of any car I've owned.

Otherwise you are probably facing replacing the line. To remove for repair or remove to then install a new one could be a real job. Worst case -- just saying -- could require the engine be removed. But your best source of info on this would be a senior tech at your local Porsche dealer. He can advise you regarding repair vs. replacement and what amount of work it is to remove the old line and either reinstall it after repair or installing a new one.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:04 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I have had this line replaced 2x. It is a poorly designed coupling (imagine that). The line is cheap. The install is $$. I'm pretty sure the motor has to be dropped.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:19 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

its the right fluid. try tightening the connection before removing the line
Old 04-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I have had this line replaced 2x. It is a poorly designed coupling (imagine that). The line is cheap. The install is $$. I'm pretty sure the motor has to be dropped.
Yep. The 997 has a similar design.

It's a press fit, you slide the collar in and the line pulls out. The issue is the HOSE not the receiving end.

That line is an SOB and it might be able to be done w/o the motor drop but it's a LONG hose and well, it'll be expensive.

And, after a while, they will ALL SEEP. The vibration from the motors weakens the joint/seal.

My advice: if it's not dripping and just 'sweating' keep it clean and leave it alone until you have a reason to drop the motor.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:55 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the responses. I was afraid the coupling and line does not separate. Yes, it is more like 'sweating'. No way I am going to drop the engine $$$$ unless the car is not running right.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:10 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the same issue with my car. It's getting worse and worse. Fluid runs down the bottom of the engine and "bakes" need to do something about it soon.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:08 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

I am guessing at these cars start to get older the weaknesses are starting to show up. I will be on the track this weekend and will monitor how much fluid comes out. The last thing I want is to spin in my own fluid or cause issues for anyone else. I am guessing/hoping the amount of fluid that comes out is going to be minimal. Again, I really don't want to take the engine out (again) unless I have to. I would think someone could come up with a creative was to seal/minimize the fluid loss.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PS Hydrolic Fluid / Line