Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "old" 996GT3 is still badass.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 07:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

4 hours on track is a lot in 1 day :-) Even on private days I probably do about 150 miles max, which is about 2.5-3 hours. Thats PLENTY!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:29 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

My brain is tired after 1.5 hours. The car feels tighter on the way home than it does before arriving at the track
Old 12-30-2016, 02:12 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i have crick every where after 15 min on track.
so i just keep driving. i only feel the pain when i get out the car. so i just dont stop.i

joe, you on ohlin or KW?
Old 12-30-2016, 04:18 AM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

nice driving Joe. makes me long for Cali weather when i'm stuck in all this Vancouver rain. thanks for the fix
Old 12-30-2016, 08:21 AM
9caregiver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had I not come in to work about an hour early I may have not had time to see this. Now I'm awake, thanks & Happy New Year to all even those who don't like yellow!
Old 12-30-2016, 12:55 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks guys. Mooty I'm running old Moton club sports doubles adjustables.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:18 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Look at the Profile, try and tell me again that these are not great looking Porsches, I dare you.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:49 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 524 Likes on 280 Posts

Slightly different angle on "the old 996GT3 is still badass" commment: our SY GT3 has always been a daily driver for us - no track since we've owned it (almost 6 years and 78k miles later). Two months ago, we bought a M235i 6 speed - not my first choice (prefer a M2) but timing and opportunity came to be for the M235. So we've been driving that everywhere. It's fun to drive, quick, easy...and really comfortable/quiet. Keeping in mind up to now our newest car was a 2005 GTI, the BMW is a huge advancement in every way.

Circumstances over the past month have prevented us from driving the GT3...until yesterday. It's loud, notchy, rough, harsh, raw, etc, etc, etc....almost feels antiquated compared to the BMW....and I absolutely love it! I forgot how involved you are driving that car, how much you feel, the feedback, the precision.... no, it will still not be a track car for us (we have a couple others for that, that are even MORE raw) but damn do I love driving it!!

And yes...in Speed Yellow - which was our first color choice- you do stand out a bit on the street. But the amount of "thumbs ups" I get when driving it just adds to the fun... :-)

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-06-2017, 05:04 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

My friend recently bought M2, which is a nice sporty car but he says his Mcoupe with S54 is faster on track with better feel. I guess different cars for different individual needs.
I hear you on the 996GT3 being an experience when driving. Still love it and you have to earn speed when driving her. I like the challenge and feel.

Originally Posted by naroescape
Slightly different angle on "the old 996GT3 is still badass" commment: our SY GT3 has always been a daily driver for us - no track since we've owned it (almost 6 years and 78k miles later). Two months ago, we bought a M235i 6 speed - not my first choice (prefer a M2) but timing and opportunity came to be for the M235. So we've been driving that everywhere. It's fun to drive, quick, easy...and really comfortable/quiet. Keeping in mind up to now our newest car was a 2005 GTI, the BMW is a huge advancement in every way.

Circumstances over the past month have prevented us from driving the GT3...until yesterday. It's loud, notchy, rough, harsh, raw, etc, etc, etc....almost feels antiquated compared to the BMW....and I absolutely love it! I forgot how involved you are driving that car, how much you feel, the feedback, the precision.... no, it will still not be a track car for us (we have a couple others for that, that are even MORE raw) but damn do I love driving it!!

And yes...in Speed Yellow - which was our first color choice- you do stand out a bit on the street. But the amount of "thumbs ups" I get when driving it just adds to the fun... :-)
Old 01-06-2017, 11:44 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

The 6-3 is just about perfect! You can leave it stock and enjoy it for the monster it is, or massage it to your taste and it will do as told, as long as you give the respect it deserves, just like a fine lady will do Ya, I just had a few beers and a scotch.

Joe, the Dundon exhaust is sublime, and your lines on 13CW are super clean. The car is capable of 1:55's out there on this config, properly set up. What gearing are you running? Thanks for the Vid. I'd love to be out there for a lapping day with just a few cars. I'm in LA so next time, let me know and I'll bring my 6-3 out to run with yours. I'd love that.

I just had the guards LSD done, so I'm excited to see what kind of additional time I can shave. I also run the Cup wheel which was one of my favorite mods. It really livened up the feel.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:06 AM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Will do. Not sure on gearing as LVDell had it done when he owned the car. I do like it though.
This is all I know about gearing, was on Dells for sale ad for this car. "Copans built tranny with cup gears."

Originally Posted by christallon
The 6-3 is just about perfect! You can leave it stock and enjoy it for the monster it is, or massage it to your taste and it will do as told, as long as you give the respect it deserves, just like a fine lady will do Ya, I just had a few beers and a scotch.

Joe, the Dundon exhaust is sublime, and your lines on 13CW are super clean. The car is capable of 1:55's out there on this config, properly set up. What gearing are you running? Thanks for the Vid. I'd love to be out there for a lapping day with just a few cars. I'm in LA so next time, let me know and I'll bring my 6-3 out to run with yours. I'd love that.

I just had the guards LSD done, so I'm excited to see what kind of additional time I can shave. I also run the Cup wheel which was one of my favorite mods. It really livened up the feel.

Last edited by 4porsh; 01-07-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:15 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

Great photos, OP! Thanks for sharing. The newer GT3 guys turn their noses up at our rides, clueless as to what they are missing. That amuses me.
I'm going to a "supercar" event tomorrow, where Skittles-colored, two-pedaled Lambos will be the predominant marque. That amuses me, too.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:53 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
Great photos, OP! Thanks for sharing. The newer GT3 guys turn their noses up at our rides, clueless as to what they are missing. That amuses me.
I'm going to a "supercar" event tomorrow, where Skittles-colored, two-pedaled Lambos will be the predominant marque. That amuses me, too.
That actually surprised me to hear. I guess it depends on who you run with. I get a lot of positive response on track.

That's the 996.3 is such great DE car. Not to expensive, still fast enough to run with most.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
new GT3 are also great, but some of the new GT3 owners are ...... well... u know.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:53 AM
MM-Racing
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought 6gt3 10 years ago. Owned 8 years, 50k km. Sold 2 years ago. Buying her was the best, selling was the worst moto decision in my live. Last year I had chance to change my 7gt3 for gallardo. Despite the fact that that Gallardo is my favorite lamba shape I did not do the same mistake.
I ve been missing 6 since that time and thinking often today about 6 cup for track.

Quick Reply: The "old" 996GT3 is still badass.