Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 year forecast for 996 gt3'S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:32 PM
jpw2b
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would agree with much of the sentiment above.

My experience:

I went from a 997 turbo that over the span of a few years got modified for track use, particularly suspension work. It was a rocket and a blast to drive. I also drove it religiously on the street, putting close to 50,000 miles on it over a period of three years.

However, as I became a more experienced driver, especially on the track, I began to yearn for a car with more analog feel. I therefore sold the 997, and got into a fully track prepped 1978 911 SC. It was very barely street legal, and so I drove it only sparingly on the street. My time with it on the track however taught me much about driving. It also taught me much about the feel of an analog 911. It was obviously much, much slower. However the enjoyment of driving was immense!

As time went on I wanted a car that I could actually drive a bit more on the street than the 1978 SC. The opportunity presented itself to buy a Low mileage 996 GT3 with most of the basic track prep already done: euro seats, rollbar, suspension work with proper alignment, LWFW and cup car clutch. I have subsequently done coolant line pinning, and the diff will be changed out in the near future.

I feel like driving this car sits in between the modified 997 turbo and the track prepped 1978 SC. Clearly I am back in a world of significant horsepower and straight line speed, although certainly not within the realm of the modified 997 turbo. Still, it has more benefits speed to make me respect it, and at times scare the crap out of me, while still providing year-to-year grins anytime I have the opportunity to get near redline. It also makes use of all of the skill that I gained driving the 1978SC on the track and more. I certainly do not get as much track time as I would like, but I certainly have a long, long way to go before being able to drive this car to its fullest capability.

On the street, it is a comfortable dream in comparison to the 1978 SC track car. It has a radio, air conditioner, heat that works. Sure, it is not as comfortable as the 997 turbo, however I had modified that as well. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I certainly do enjoy driving the 996 GT3 on the street. I do live in and uncrowded city with a 17 mile commute to work that involves only three traffic lights. I do understand that it would be no fun at all in heavy urban traffic.

In my mind, there is simply nothing like it. By it! Drive it! Enjoy it! If you happen to break even on the dollars then so much the better....
Old 01-02-2017, 08:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ right on
i like my gt4 very nice car
i don't like 996gt3 but i keep coming back to buy them. it gets under ur skin.

997gt3/rs is also really good but in different ways.

with all that, the 6 will have its place in p car
pantheon.

as to value for 105000 mile
gt3 no help as there are likely less than 10 cars with that mile world wide.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:46 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
No input on what a 105k mile 996 GT3 is worth?
Stock? Modded? Track miles? Ratty or nice?

50k? Give or take.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:39 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Stock? Modded? Track miles? Ratty or nice?

50k? Give or take.
Totally depends I'd say. For example, if it already has all the mods I'd do anyway (rs lwfw/clutch, exhaust, etc), and all the important maintenance stuff (coolant pipes, diff, etc) I would absolutely pay more than 50k. Just keep in mind 100k is a lot of miles for most people so resale might be tough, but in terms of reliability, 100k would not scare me at all (gotta love that mezger!)

Last edited by ScottArizona; 01-03-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:27 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Some great posts to summarize the beauty of 6.3!

Mine is street legal in Florida but I would be laughed at in Europe if I tried to get a license plate for my 996.3!

I bought my 996gt3rs as an investment piece after I saw what happened to the 997rs4.0! If you are looking for an investment? Try to find a low mileage 996rs! It will overtake the 4.0l in value because there are so few left in good condition.

My favorite car to drive is the 996.3 track car that I bought from a fellow rennlister. Something to be said about driving flat out without constantly thinking about consequences on track.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:52 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Had a GT4 for a few months, plan was to keep either the 996 or GT4......Gt4 went buy buy and I have no desire to sell it anytime soon.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 01-03-2017, 12:33 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

Stock motor, pretty sure the coolant lines haven't been pinned. Newer clutch/flywheel, think its had the diff rebuilt, KW clubsports.

Been heavily tracked over the years, not a cream puff but not a basket case...
Old 01-03-2017, 12:50 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pjjames512
I truly feel this car is the closest driving "experience" (possibly even better on the road) than the already legendary 911R. Having driven almost every modern day GT Porsche, even a friends R and previously owning a GT4, I am confident in that statement. My time with the 996 is pretty recent and early in its stages, but this car has stolen my heart. So much so that I sold my GT4 to fund the maniacal amount of work I am in the process of doing to mine. I haven't looked back for a second. The GT4 is a great chassis/great looking design inside and out but has an extremely underwhelming drivetrain. The gearing is terrible and the engine is basic. It is a refined GT car and those two words shouldn't be in the same sentence. The problems with the R are obvious. Too limited and expensive, can't use 500bhp on the road and it's a little wide and heavy. So why wouldn't you buy an ugly soap bar shaped 996, throw a LWFW and Guards diff in it, some Euro seats, monoball suspension bits and get a killer alignment? I have yet to find the argument for otherwise...

I had every opportunity to buy a 997.1 and .2 but didn't because it was overrated for the cost comparison to the 996. The story of how I came in to mine is actually pretty funny to me. I bought it to help a friend who was in need of cash, hoping to flip it for maybe $4-5k profit and be in and out. I drove it home from the dealer after its PPI expecting it to be a dated hunk of crap (having never driven it) and my mind was blown. The engine in this car is a f@$king legend!!! I then begun looking in to all the toys and aftermarket options for the car to basically work out the kinks and decided to part with the GT4 as it wasn't being driven anymore.

There are definitely things you HAVE to do to get these cars modernized. The diff is horrible and the front end is pretty bad. A LWFW and 997 headers/exhaust really take the experience to another level as well. So figure you get in to one for $60-$70k, pin the coolant lines and do the above modifications for another $10k, you're in for $75-$80k. You'll have a reliable car that quite realistically no one actually knows what its projected value is for the next 5-10 years...but I can probably guarantee you it won't fall much if any at all. These cars aren't a savings account though! They aren't a piece of property...they are FUN! And if my car was tomorrow worth $20k, I'd be ok with that because it is just a f@$cking awesome experience that no other modern day Porsche provides for its value. I don't want to get in to a car and push a sport button or damper button. I don't want different levels of drivers aids. I want a raw, simple, feedback derived road car.

That being said, I can't wait for years to come when guys like Singer and Magnus Walker are doing builds based off of this car. It is a future classic. Maybe not for its looks, but for its character beneath the skin. I love what one of the guys here said about the car being kind of like your wife. You grow to love her imperfections throughout the years. She may not be as physically pretty as the latest model...but she is yours and she is internally a masterpiece.

Happy New Years guys!
This sums up my sentiments to a "T." I really liked my 997.1 gt3, and although it was freaking gorgeous, I just could never shake the feeling that my "old" 996 was more nimble, raw, visceral, and fun...and, believe it or not (with the right mods and a little bit of weight reduction) faster! This made the 996 the clear winner from a value proposition. In fact, it wasn't even close (for me at least). Best friend just sold his gt4. Fast and fun, but something lacking in the "character" department. These cars are just so much fun to drive, even on the street! Add to that the fact that with proper maintenance they will last forever and don't break (when was the last time you saw a "I blew my engine" thread on the 7-3 or 6-3 forum????), the fact that its a bit under the radar, and has that "exclusivity" factor, it is the perfect car for me. I also love that there are lots of things you can do to them with a ton of aftermarket support. With my Gallardo there are like six common mods and then you are into big UGR turbo builds!!!!
Old 01-03-2017, 01:40 PM
LAH
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
This sums up my sentiments to a "T." I really liked my 997.1 gt3, and although it was freaking gorgeous, I just could never shake the feeling that my "old" 996 was more nimble, raw, visceral, and fun...and, believe it or not (with the right mods and a little bit of weight reduction) faster! This made the 996 the clear winner from a value proposition. In fact, it wasn't even close (for me at least). Best friend just sold his gt4. Fast and fun, but something lacking in the "character" department. These cars are just so much fun to drive, even on the street! Add to that the fact that with proper maintenance they will last forever and don't break (when was the last time you saw a "I blew my engine" thread on the 7-3 or 6-3 forum????), the fact that its a bit under the radar, and has that "exclusivity" factor, it is the perfect car for me. I also love that there are lots of things you can do to them with a ton of aftermarket support. With my Gallardo there are like six common mods and then you are into big UGR turbo builds!!!!
Very good point...there are threads in the 991 RS section about the engines catching fire too.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:09 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
so true. I don't think people realize how close the 6-3 is to the 7.1-1 in performance. Very different skins but similar on the inside and a well driven 6-3 has no issue keeping up with or passing a 7.1-3 (or 991 for that matter ).

in the US it seems the 996 is still regarded as the ugly dog and perhaps those who aren't in the know assume it's a dog of a car because of its looks. I like the looks, it has aged like a good bottle of wine. Sooner or later the wider market in the US will come to appreciate them as has already been the case with this car in just about every other major market around the world. European market jumped 2 years ago and Aus market followed suit. 50-60% increase overnight. Has softened a bit in the last 6 months but will never go back to what it was.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

there a reason why ppl turn kits off in bed room
if it feels good it s good.
if i can't see u, i won't have nightmares

996 is like
that.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:53 PM
stuttgart1
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pjjames512
I truly feel this car is the closest driving "experience" (possibly even better on the road) than the already legendary 911R. Having driven almost every modern day GT Porsche, even a friends R and previously owning a GT4, I am confident in that statement. My time with the 996 is pretty recent and early in its stages, but this car has stolen my heart. So much so that I sold my GT4 to fund the maniacal amount of work I am in the process of doing to mine. I haven't looked back for a second. The GT4 is a great chassis/great looking design inside and out but has an extremely underwhelming drivetrain. The gearing is terrible and the engine is basic. It is a refined GT car and those two words shouldn't be in the same sentence. The problems with the R are obvious. Too limited and expensive, can't use 500bhp on the road and it's a little wide and heavy. So why wouldn't you buy an ugly soap bar shaped 996, throw a LWFW and Guards diff in it, some Euro seats, monoball suspension bits and get a killer alignment? I have yet to find the argument for otherwise...

I had every opportunity to buy a 997.1 and .2 but didn't because it was overrated for the cost comparison to the 996. The story of how I came in to mine is actually pretty funny to me. I bought it to help a friend who was in need of cash, hoping to flip it for maybe $4-5k profit and be in and out. I drove it home from the dealer after its PPI expecting it to be a dated hunk of crap (having never driven it) and my mind was blown. The engine in this car is a f@$king legend!!! I then begun looking in to all the toys and aftermarket options for the car to basically work out the kinks and decided to part with the GT4 as it wasn't being driven anymore.

There are definitely things you HAVE to do to get these cars modernized. The diff is horrible and the front end is pretty bad. A LWFW and 997 headers/exhaust really take the experience to another level as well. So figure you get in to one for $60-$70k, pin the coolant lines and do the above modifications for another $10k, you're in for $75-$80k. You'll have a reliable car that quite realistically no one actually knows what its projected value is for the next 5-10 years...but I can probably guarantee you it won't fall much if any at all. These cars aren't a savings account though! They aren't a piece of property...they are FUN! And if my car was tomorrow worth $20k, I'd be ok with that because it is just a f@$cking awesome experience that no other modern day Porsche provides for its value. I don't want to get in to a car and push a sport button or damper button. I don't want different levels of drivers aids. I want a raw, simple, feedback derived road car.

That being said, I can't wait for years to come when guys like Singer and Magnus Walker are doing builds based off of this car. It is a future classic. Maybe not for its looks, but for its character beneath the skin. I love what one of the guys here said about the car being kind of like your wife. You grow to love her imperfections throughout the years. She may not be as physically pretty as the latest model...but she is yours and she is internally a masterpiece.

Happy New Years guys!
^ Well said
Driven a 997.2-3, not impressive at all with its 3.8, it rev slower, at least the one I drove. It is more refine and easier to drive tho, but not what I am looking for in a GT.

GT4 has all the GT components but not the engine, I'll have fun with it for 3mo, won't be a keeper for me.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:03 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I Know that my 6GT3 is Great Looking, Very Fast, Ultra Fun & Rewarding to Drive (anywhere), historically very Porsche-like and, worth 100k.
Oh, it's also Not For Sale.
Happy New Year! Happy Everything!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:08 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuttgart1
^ Well said
Driven a 997.2-3, not impressive at all with its 3.8, it rev slower, at least the one I drove. It is more refine and easier to drive tho, but not what I am looking for in a GT.

GT4 has all the GT components but not the engine, I'll have fun with it for 3mo, won't be a keeper for me.
Agree. The gearing on the 997.2rs is nice though...but prefer the free revving 996 (especially after you add a lwfw...my single favorite mod...just totally wakes the car up, responsiveness wise, even if it technically does not make the car any faster!). Thinking about doing the rs 3.89 ring and pinion, but my only hesitation is that I really don't want a shorter first gear (I think its just about perfect). A shorter second and third would be great for the street though, and would help add a little bit of torque, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, without messing with the overall feel or character of the car.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:22 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

With the way you guys are talking about this car, you'd better drive it now before they skyrocket in value and you'll be compelled to NOT track it.

Quick Reply: 5 year forecast for 996 gt3'S?