Sponsored by:

996 GT3 RS/Cup Front Bumper Radiator Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 11:03 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

There are templates out there to cut the holes, A rennlister generated them pete95zhn. Pretty sure I have a copy. An over-the-top install is here: http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...n-ankles-oh-my!

Ray
Old 11-12-2016, 01:43 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

pjjjames512 - is your bumper cover factory or aftermarket? What was the cost? I have a factory RS version still on the shipping frame that I'm trying to decide whether to paint and use (they come in white only) or sell. Last time I looked list was over $5k.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:00 AM
LAH
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rebrewer
pjjjames512 - is your bumper cover factory or aftermarket? What was the cost? I have a factory RS version still on the shipping frame that I'm trying to decide whether to paint and use (they come in white only) or sell. Last time I looked list was over $5k.
Mine is a factory one too. It was about $4k. I think it comes in Carrera White and my car is White...will most likely have to paint and re-clear bra mine too.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:46 AM
hgo
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to say
but i ordered a new RS bumper, received it and discovered the vent was made wrongly.
send it back.
at Porsche they discovered that all bumpers from stock had this error
so all send back to supplier
no news when they will get good new ones in (at least 1 month no news)
regards

Hans
Old 11-15-2016, 06:21 AM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
There are templates out there to cut the holes, A rennlister generated them pete95zhn. Pretty sure I have a copy. An over-the-top install is here: http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...n-ankles-oh-my!

Ray
As much as I'd like to take the credit about those templates, they're originally made by OZ951 (IIRC).
Old 11-15-2016, 11:47 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hans, what exactly was wrong with the vent? Is there a particular production date or part number that is affected? Mine is new but was purchased several years ago and I can't find anything wrong with it.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2016, 03:10 PM
LAH
Premium Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rebrewer
Check your PM...
Old 11-17-2016, 05:23 AM
hgo
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the vent slot is on one side about 22mm from the edge of the hood (bonnet)
on the other side only 13mm
so somebody when milling the slots (as they also use a normal GT3 bumper) did not pay attention when setting the bumper in the jig

problem is that they do not know when a new good batch of bumper will be in stock again

Hans
Old 02-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Pip
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the bits to complete this modification on my 996 GT3 for a while now and have it in my mind to do it in March before the track season kicks off properly. The only thing bugging me at the moment is do I need to buy a modified shroud if the radiator is tilted??

I am aware that the fit between the front PU and the radiator is tight so presumably tilting it forwards will make it increasingly difficult to get the black plastic trim/shroud in. Maybe cutting it down/trimming will fix it - ??

Any help/advice appreciated.

Pip
Old 02-17-2019, 02:39 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Hey guys I am planning to tackle this project soon. I have read all the threads here on the process. I have a few questions:

1.) For those that used center radiator hose extensions, what was the internal diameter of the hoses...meaning what size extensions did you buy? I see various generic aluminum extensions available online.

2.) Did you retain the stock front center radiator shroud and just trim it? Meaning the one that goes from the bumper into the radiator? It looks like the GT2/GT3RS shroud is just from the backside of the radiator up to the new front bumper top exit holes.

3.) Is the GT2/GT3RS shroud even necessary? In the stock 6-GT3 configuration with the airflow exiting under the car there is no shroud from the back of the radiator to the bottom bumper cover exit. I am thinking if you just block off the bottom holes the airflow will find it's way upwards out the top bumper holes?

4.) For those that made their own mesh for the bumper holes...what type/size did you use, where did you source it, and how did you attach it to the bumper?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:20 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately I don't have answers to your questions but I am interesting in following your project :-) Please post pictures as you go.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:11 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

PPjames
I'm still bummed that i wasn't in the right place at the right time to buy your super sweet, highly modified 6 GT3.

Good luck with the project Nick!
Old 02-18-2019, 02:32 AM
Danteswe
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Hey guys I am planning to tackle this project soon. I have read all the threads here on the process. I have a few questions:

1.) For those that used center radiator hose extensions, what was the internal diameter of the hoses...meaning what size extensions did you buy? I see various generic aluminum extensions available online.

2.) Did you retain the stock front center radiator shroud and just trim it? Meaning the one that goes from the bumper into the radiator? It looks like the GT2/GT3RS shroud is just from the backside of the radiator up to the new front bumper top exit holes.

3.) Is the GT2/GT3RS shroud even necessary? In the stock 6-GT3 configuration with the airflow exiting under the car there is no shroud from the back of the radiator to the bottom bumper cover exit. I am thinking if you just block off the bottom holes the airflow will find it's way upwards out the top bumper holes?

4.) For those that made their own mesh for the bumper holes...what type/size did you use, where did you source it, and how did you attach it to the bumper?

Thanks in advance.
1) I used a 25 mm copper tube to extend the hoses. A tight fit but it works.
2) I used the stock center shroud but I think I had to modify it.
3) I used a GT2-shroud and blocked the airvent on the bottom side of the bumper to be sure that the airflow would be as I wanted, but I'm not sure if it's needed. The shroud neded to be modified a bit with a Dremmel.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:13 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Hi Nick,

I actually used a bit of 3/4" EMT cuz that is what I had laying around. I also used the stock shroud, but this became a huge PITA... Kinda like wrestling a big wet noodle!

WRT shroud. Yes the air will make its way out if all other holes are blocked, cleaner with the shroud though!

I used some stainless mesh - smaller mesh size in all the openings. The 'real' value here is if you track your car!

Good luck

Ray

Originally Posted by Nickshu

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 RS/Cup Front Bumper Radiator Conversion