Guy,
Can you please confirm how it is installed ? Thanks,

Best,

Don
Old 10-29-2003, 02:48 PM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do, my car is at the dealer currently though getting a service done and a few other bits and pieces, so it will be a few days.......

Guy
Old 10-29-2003, 09:23 PM
mds
Pro

Don,
CS cars have the threaded plates welded in. To install the cage in these cars, you pop off the rear cover and the carpet closure caps, lift up the carpet flaps and then bolt the cage feet down. The cage sold aftermarket does not include the threaded plates, only washers and bolts for these attachments. I do not know if USA cars have these threaded plates installed. I will know in a couple of weeks when my car arrives.
The front part of the cage is removable, Porsche recommends you do so for street driving to avoid head injury. Looking at the parts, it looks like front part is relatively easy to remove and reinstall. Less than a half hour of work I would say.
The USA workshop manual includes installation instructions and diagrams.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:36 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Regarding the single-mass vs dual mass questions,......

I asked one of the Factory race engineers and was told by the head honcho that the only way Porsche could get the GT-3 motor through EPA certification was by using the dual-mass flywheel to pass all of the entire emission test cycles. It would not pass with the single-mass one from the RS. Even then, I was told that it was really a bitch to do.

We have several GT-3 cup cars here and at idle, you really hear the backlash (rattle) in the transmission's gears. Once above idle (1200 RPM), its nice and quiet.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:24 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mds
The front part of the cage is removable, Porsche recommends you do so for street driving to avoid head injury. Looking at the parts, it looks like front part is relatively easy to remove and reinstall. Less than a half hour of work I would say.
The USA workshop manual includes installation instructions and diagrams.
I asked Gert this question and in his opinion, you do not want to try to install and remove the front cage on a frequent basis. He indicated that it was more than 1/2 hour of work. However, you can tie-wrap roll cage padding to the cage to protect your head (and other body parts). Of course, this increases the thinkness of the cage and makes it a little harder getting in and out.

Karl
Old 10-30-2003, 10:44 AM
9caregiver
Racer

Thanks guys,

So the question is are these plates in the car (I kind of doubt it) and where to get the plates if they are needed? My car is also not in yet but I had planned to convert to full CS specs. Thanks again.

Best,

Don
Old 10-30-2003, 12:27 PM
mds
Pro

Originally posted by Karl S
I asked Gert this question and in his opinion, you do not want to try to install and remove the front cage on a frequent basis. He indicated that it was more than 1/2 hour of work. However, you can tie-wrap roll cage padding to the cage to protect your head (and other body parts). Of course, this increases the thinkness of the cage and makes it a little harder getting in and out.

Karl
Gert is probably correct. I'm looking at the parts sitting on my garage floor. The front bars attach to the behind seat roll bar via bolted on clamp-like pieces. One side is adjustable with a threaded piece and lock nut so that you can get the bars pressed properly against the car's interior at the appropriate places. I figured all of this didn't look too hard to remove and install, hence my 1/2 hour estimate.

By the way, the front bars already have roll cage padding. I don't think this padding is the new FIA approved stuff, however.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:28 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

You can get the new dense foam roll cage padding in 3' lengths from OG Racing.

Karl
Old 10-31-2003, 02:24 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve - to your point about EPA testing. Does this imply that a car with single-mass flywheel would have a hard time passing state inspection as well? Dallas is pretty strict on their testing (not as bad as CA though I'm sure).
Old 11-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Marco Polo
Instructor

In another thread I had detailed the installation of the Tequipment rollbar in my GT3. It utilizes pre-existing threaded plates: 1 pair are the outboard seatbelt mounts used by the standard 3-point lap belt, the other pair are the outboard mounts used in Carreras for the rear belts and concealed by a carpet flap in the GT3. Isn't this the same bar spec'd for the CS option in Europe?

(BTW, Brey-Krause makes a GT3 seat mount that lowers the seat about an inch and permits a few degrees of tilt. It works with the factory sliders and other B-K proucts for anti-sub straps and fire extinguisher mount.)

RE: A/C and stereo delete: I will confirm what others have posted: U.S. cars are available w/o A/C (no credit). Mine came with climate controls consisting of 3 dials and a recirc button. Stereo delete is an easy DIY option. The factory bin for the top of the front center console is DIN and a perfect fit for the head unit. No dash or rear quarter trim panels are made without speaker grills, but the speakers themselves can be removed eaily. That leaves only the wiring harnesses.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:10 AM
LG1
Track Day

Concerning the single-dual mass debate:

I have driven the mk2 Clubsport and can positively tell you that it does not have the single mass flywheel.Although since the engine of the new GT3 has more throttle response than the old one it almost seems like it does.

The GT3 RS does have a single mass flywheel, which coupled with the new engine's enhanced throttle response and free revving nature make it something out of this world as far as throttle response goes(nothing I've driven comes even close...).It will undoubtedly take some time and training to be able to pull away consistently without stalling!

Quick Reply: "Convert" US GT3 to Euro GT3 Club Sport specs