Sponsored by:

Annoying Rattle in GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 01:45 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Rattle in GT3

I have posted this before, but the rattle is not what I had initially thought. It is most audible at low speed in first gear while going over a rough surface. However, it can be heard at all speeds depending on whether the road is smooth or not.

Let me first apologize for any "technical" description terms that are incorrect because I do not have the technical vocabulary when it comes to cars.

At first I thought it originated in the back right wheel area, but with a friend in the back seat I think we have pinpointed the sound. I wanted to see what you all thought before taking it to the dealer.

It seems to be coming from the area between the passenger side door and the back right speaker area. The sound is like a stack of plates are rattling. When I removed the speaker and look into that area, there is a pipe or support of some type that is about an inch or so in diameter that connects into the back of the door area (B pillar?). It is not welded. When I hold that pipe, I can feel the rattle but I am not sure that is exactly it or if there is something beyond where the pipe goes into that "wall".

Any suggestions on what this might be? I do not want to take it to the dealer and have them perform exploratory surgery. Could it have anything to do with how the end of the seatbelt is connected to the car? Help!

Thanks
Old 10-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I think I have the same rattle in my car. I also have a rattle from where the rear passenger side seat bottom would be. My driver seat also makes a creaking sound when I shift around in it. All things to let the dealer chase after, but not worth a special trip at this point. Hopefully somebody has some advice on these rattles.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a GT3 it's supposed to rattle.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:03 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Does it seem to be worse when in first gear going slowly around tight turns, such as in a parking lot? Has it become worse compared to when the car was new?
If/when it goes to the dealer, have them confirm the proper function and torque on the limited slip differential.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:06 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Originally posted by Oak
It's a GT3 it's supposed to rattle.
The brakes squeak, there are squeaks in the dash and a couple of other places. Every 911 I have owned (6 and counting) has been this way and not once have I taken it to the dealer for a squeak. Squeaks do not bother me. I have no problem with "normal" noises, especially from a GT3. This sound is abnormal. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:16 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Originally posted by ldw
Does it seem to be worse when in first gear going slowly around tight turns, such as in a parking lot? Has it become worse compared to when the car was new?
If/when it goes to the dealer, have them confirm the proper function and torque on the limited slip differential.
Hi Lynn, the sound has somewhat worsened. When new it only happened occassionally. Now it is fairly regular as if something is loosening. It also rattles when the car is out of gear and rolling over rough surfaces. And, it does rattle in turns. I do not think it is the diffy, but will ask if/when I take it in.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:24 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

jack up one side of the car. Have car in neutral and take ebrake off. Grab the rear tire that is in the air and rotate it. It it spins freely with very little or no effort, there is a problem. If it requires some effort, it is fine.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:01 PM
yongster
Racer

My GT3 had/has all the same rattles. I had the mechanic sit in the passenger seat while I drove and he sprayed silicone spray at all the areas (window seals, etc.) that he thought made the rattle/noises. It is better, but now the driver's side makes the same noises.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Keep the revs up over 4500 and you won't hear a thing

Karl
Old 10-22-2003, 04:26 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Originally posted by Karl S
Keep the revs up over 4500 and you won't hear a thing

Karl
I know, but it's the slowing down part that stinks.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

Had the same problem, it is the clutch plates rattling in the LSD at low speed.

The cure is to add a cup air filter and a Techart exhaust...

Who said that? Pardon?

P.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:30 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Mr. RS
Had the same problem, it is the clutch plates rattling in the LSD at low speed.

The cure is to add a cup air filter and a Techart exhaust...

Who said that? Pardon?

P.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:14 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

My car makes some interesting noises at slow speeds especially backing up and turning. Assume it's the LSD- my E46 M3 also made lots of strange noises discussed ad naseum on the bimmer forums, also normal...
Old 10-23-2003, 10:43 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

I had an E46 M3 w/smg II as well. Same thing...started hearing loud squeaks from the rear (not tires) when downshifting. It was gone after 2K miles.

Quick Reply: Annoying Rattle in GT3