Sponsored by:

More groovy PCCB photos

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 08:51 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More groovy PCCB photos

To continue the saga, here are the latest photos of my PCCB's. Those feeling especially energetic might like to compare these photos to the photos taken a few weeks ago. Note that none of the surfaces exhibit the catastrophic failures that one or two others have experienced on their GT2's.

I'm impressed with how different all of the surfaces look and feel. The insides feel very rough indeed. If you look closely at the large version of the photos you can see that it is almost as if the surface has been chipped away (ABS damage?). It looks a little like a mosaic with hairline surface cracks everywhere. You can see that more and more pieces will fall out with time.

The outside on the right doesn't feel too bad. The outside on the left feels worse but still seems sort of ok. The pattern was exactly the same on my first set of rotors. On the outside surfaces it looks more like the fibres have been ripped out. Not so much of the mosaic look.

All P90 pads are completely shot now with the pad depth warning coming on (after one month of not very hard use). Tomorrow they will be changed. Maybe I will be able to post photos of those later. These rotors have only ever had P90 pads on them.

Stephen

Left-front outside surface:

Left-front inside surface:

Right-front outside surface:

Right-front inside surface:

The full sized versions can be seen here:

http://www.986host.com/gallery/Fixed...ide_783?full=1
http://www.986host.com/gallery/Fixed...ide_795?full=1
http://www.986host.com/gallery/Fixed...ide_799?full=1
http://www.986host.com/gallery/Fixed...ide_803?full=1

Last edited by FixedWing; 10-22-2003 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: More groovy PCCB photos

Originally posted by FixedWing

All P90 pads are completely shot now with the pad depth warning coming on (after one month of not very hard use). Tomorrow they will be changed. Maybe I will be able to post photos of those later. These rotors have only ever had P90 pads on them.

Stephen

I have to ask... what type of "not very hard use" driving do you do that kills your brake pads within one month. Not trying to say anything one way or another, just asking... but how do you do it? How many miles on these pads and rotors? Were the rotors that rough before you put the new pads on?

Old 10-22-2003, 09:55 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Re: More groovy PCCB photos

Originally posted by Sloth
I have to ask... what type of "not very hard use" driving do you do that kills your brake pads within one month. Not trying to say anything one way or another, just asking... but how do you do it? How many miles on these pads and rotors?
I just looked. I think about 6,000 km. Not too bad when you consider the condition of the rotor surfaces (which must have an effect on the pads).

I'm really not sure of "why" either. Maybe it is a lot of motorway ABS use? I tend to be going very fast on the motorways and then have to drop more than 100 km/h quickly for traffic.

Otherwise, lots of slow speed, tight and narrow roads (the northern parts of Luxembourg) requiring constant braking into slow corners. The first set of pads on these rotors were particularly harmed by the same sort of driving (a narrow Alpine pass between Italy and France). Maybe slow driving with a lack of air cooling is especially harmful???

But why me? I really don't know. All of this is speculation on my part.

The rotors have more time on them. Two sets of P90 pads.

Having said that, the PCCB brakes were originally sold as the latest gift to mankind. What exactly shouldn't they be able to do?

Stephen
Old 10-22-2003, 07:59 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

What is Porsche saying about the condition of the rotors, is this wear pattern within expected limits and does the wear exhibited have any potential impact (Porsche's view) on longevity?
Old 10-23-2003, 03:09 AM
mds
Pro

Stephen, are the rotors ventilated? In the fourth photo it looks like the rotor is solid, but the second and third photos appear to show some sort of groove along the outer edge.

About pad wear. I have read that ceramic has a low coefficient of friction. To compensate, the rotors are made rough and the pads have a relatively soft compound. This aids pad material transfer to the rotor and improves braking, but causes reduced pad life. If this is the case, short pad life should not be a suprise, but should be expected. I would think that any rotor surface flaking would make pad life even shorter. Is this consistent with your understanding of the situation?
Old 10-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

stephen it's so interesting that my driving conditions are very similar mountain driving with massive repeated braking at "slow speeds"; high speed open road with hard braking shedding 50-80 mph.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:46 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Default P90-2 pad

Here is a photo of one of the Pagid P90-2 pad that came off the car today. The others are similar. Wear rate varies from pad to pad but the pads themselves are evenly worn (some of the previous pads have not been).

Stephen

The fullsized image can be seen here:

http://www.986host.com/gallery/Fixed..._2_830a?full=1

Quick Reply: More groovy PCCB photos