Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some cars delivered with wrong front wheel offset?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 11:02 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts
Default Some cars delivered with wrong front wheel offset?

My dealer just called me this PM to say his rep said some GT3's were delivered with the wrong front wheel offset- and the wheel may hit the strut tower because of too little clearance. Tells me to check the front wheel and clearance to strut tower. Any one else heard of this? Haven't noticed any funny noises in my first 600 miles...
Old 10-18-2003, 11:44 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It doesn't sound likely to me. The GT3 front wheels are cast in one size and offset only. Even if there were variations in the production, they would be easily identified during the car's assembly.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:03 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

Didn't make much sense to me either but I did check my wheels, and they have the correct offset, 40 with width of 8.5. With as few of those cars as there are I'd wonder how the supplier could make some wheels with the wrong offset! The more I drive this car the more I like it and it doesn't seem to ride any worse (better) than my '95 993 with the factory 030 suspension. And it actually seems better than my earlier '90 964 C4 which I never really grew to like.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

skl, you dont' think the GT3 rides worse than your 993 with mo30? hum, iowa must got nice roads. here in beautiful SF, i have been bounced off my seat and smacked my head on the roof, happily, of course
Old 10-19-2003, 12:46 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by mooty
skl, you dont' think the GT3 rides worse than your 993 with mo30? hum, iowa must got nice roads. here in beautiful SF, i have been bounced off my seat and smacked my head on the roof, happily, of course
John,

What cold tire pressures are you running? My car was delivered with 43 front and 46 rear. The ride home was pretty firm on mostly smooth freeways. Saturday morning, I reduced the pressures to 32 and 35 and the ride improved a lot. I am now going to wait for the tires to grip before I experiment with even lower pressures.

There is no question that the GT3 is much more firmly sprung that either a 993 M030 or a 996 M030. However, it is not impossible to have the perception that the GT3 rides better than those two. The main factor here is body rigidity which is at an optimum on the GT3. Compared with a 993, it would seem that the older car is harsh because the suspension pieces are working harder with the body flexing more. Driving over bumpy roads, the GT3 would follow the surface more than a softer sprung car which might attempt to absorb bumps and give a slight bit of harshness perception. I hope this makes a little sense.

Quick Reply: Some cars delivered with wrong front wheel offset?