Sponsored by:

ABS Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 07:26 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default ABS Failure

Well, I was just driving my car home from the shop after I did an alignment and put on a new set of Hoosiers. This was the last major thing I needed to do before the DE season and a few miles in the trip ABS Failure display.

The car drove fine. I was on the street do was not driving where I would engage the ABS. When I got home I restarted the car and did not see the warning driving around my block. If I went on the highway that would have been a better test.

However, when I plugged in my Durametric I got a fault code for the ABS.

Could the installers disturbed the ABS module or these are most likely unrelated.

Any thoughts to further troubleshot and find out what I am in for?
Attached Images    
Old 04-01-2016, 07:37 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you lift a wheel somewhere (steep drive...or not so steep with our cars) while on the brake pedal?

It'll stop one wheel when that happens and freak out the system. Happens to me every once in awhile on the street.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:37 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

EDIT: Audi beat me to it ^^^

This happened to me once when I was on my way to a hill climb. It was triggered when I pulled out of a steep car park entrance on an incline, which resulted in one of the front wheels lifting off the ground (a usual occurrence due to the stiffness of the chassis). I must have tapped the brakes slightly whilst one of the front wheels was off the ground and the ABS light came on. I proceeded to drive 60 miles to to the event with the light on with no ill symptoms and once I got there, disconnected the battery and reconnected it and the light was gone never to show its face again.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:55 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

I like both of those answers. I don't recall anything specific when driving. However, the car does have a stiff suspension & 315 Hoosiers R7's and any change on the road is noticeable/jarring. This was the first time I drove the car on the street more than 1 mile in several years-- go figure. That does make sense in when I turned the car on the light was not on, but the fault code was still registered.

I will reset the fault code and take the car for a test drive either tonight or tomorrow morning. Of course, if I don't do this tonight I will be thinking about it all night. Need to get my baby ready for the track season.

Hopefully, this is just a phantom issue because of the street.

I will report back after reset and test drive. At least I feel a little better seeing your replies
Old 04-02-2016, 01:28 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Had this happen when I got mine corner balanced last...cleared the codes via Durametric and I don't believe I ever saw the ABS light again
Old 04-02-2016, 02:01 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

No worries, it happens occasionally. Happened to me the other day leaving the gas station, lifted a wheel at an odd angle and triggered. Reset as you did. All good.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

When this happens does the abs stop working? Or does it still work, only the computer thinks otherwise.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

simple speed sensor my guess- Wouldn't that come up on Durametric ?
Old 04-02-2016, 12:41 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

It's happened to me a handful of times and the ABS continues to work. I've had it under heavy braking on track after a trigger event and I could feel it working.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:18 AM
balbri
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and PSM failure

Hi all. I have a 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo. After having the turbos etc serviced i did a test drive. After about half an hour both the ABS and PSM failure alarms lid up on the dashboard. Had the local Porsche workshop check the alarms and they said it was most probably an air hose that had jumped off. Is there a compressed air system on this car (bypass valves on the turbo's use compressed air to operate as far as i understand) ? After the alarm came up, the engine stopped several times when running in idle and almost stopping when starting to drive.

Anyone in the forum that have experienced something like this :-) ?
Old 06-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

sounds like a vacuum leak perhaps.Need to pull codes
Old 09-14-2018, 04:00 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Just had some weird ABS issues,

A couple of weeks ago I got ABS light on dash. Code was brake light sensor, ordered a new one and installed and cleared the code.
On the way to the track last week ABS light came back on. Stopped for gas and when I turned the car over again the light ABS light was gone.
Drove three warm up laps and the light came back on and ABS didn’t work.
”warning” dont drive your cars wihtout working ABS. The car wont brake at all in the rear. So literallly undrivable.

Came in to the pits and obviously very disappointed. Removed all the wheels and checked the connectors and wires. Wiggled them back and forth just for the sake of things.
Magically I could finish the track day with working ABS. Have anyone experienced anything similar? Does this happen when one of the ABS sensors are about to go out?
Old 09-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Just had some weird ABS issues,

A couple of weeks ago I got ABS light on dash. Code was brake light sensor, ordered a new one and installed and cleared the code.
On the way to the track last week ABS light came back on. Stopped for gas and when I turned the car over again the light ABS light was gone.
Drove three warm up laps and the light came back on and ABS didn’t work.
”warning” dont drive your cars wihtout working ABS. The car wont brake at all in the rear. So literallly undrivable.

Came in to the pits and obviously very disappointed. Removed all the wheels and checked the connectors and wires. Wiggled them back and forth just for the sake of things.
Magically I could finish the track day with working ABS. Have anyone experienced anything similar? Does this happen when one of the ABS sensors are about to go out?
If you go over on the 996 (non-GT3 forum) and the turbo forum here on Rennlist and over on the 6Speed forum you will find many posts about this issue. Unfortunately it's not easy to nail down the cause. I had it on my 2003 996 C2 a few times on the track. At the time I was running Hoosier R7s and I concluded it was due to the tire circumference differences that would occur when the tires would be almost worn out, fronts worn down more than rears. Beyond that read the various threads. Fortunately for us with 6-GT3's the problem seems to be most common on cars with PSM (which my C2 did have).
Old 09-15-2018, 09:48 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

see below-
Old 09-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

It may be the speed sensor . It happened to me. Needed computer to determine which one- I think RR but I would have expected it to be the front due to the extra heat.

Quick Reply: ABS Failure