Porsche the new "Ferrari"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:06 PM
ColoradoGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche the new "Ferrari"?

So here is the question.....

Porsche announces a new model or limited edition model. I'll use the GT4 and the new 911R as an example. You read about it and think, "maybe the time is right for a new Porsche?"

So you call your dealer with your credit card in hand. He laughs a bit, and explains that you may as well be in line for this week's Powerball numbers.

I would imagine that these cars are only going to their best customers, who buy and sell on a more regular basis than the rest of us. And these lucky folks are getting these cars and turning them for some tidy profits. Lotto indeed! Will Porsche soon enter into contracts with these customers, disallowing quick re-sales for profit?

And will any of these cars ever see proper road and track use? Or will they wind up sitting in collectors' garages like the Enzos and F40s of the world?

Tell me it ain't so!
Old 03-31-2016, 05:16 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think the vast majority of potential Porsche owners worry about the niche markets that the GT4 and 911R create. Porsche would (if they were smart) never turn their back on the sale of a regular 991 Carrera or Cayman or Boxster.

I think, as enthusiasts, we see these incredibly low volume and production number vehicles and think Porsche is going to transition to the Ferrari mentality...but if anything, it is the opposite. Porsche wants to sell vehicles and they aren't the super-lux brand that Ferrari is.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGT3

I would imagine that these cars are only going to their best customers, who buy and sell on a more regular basis than the rest of us. And these lucky folks are getting these cars and turning them for some tidy profits. Lotto indeed! Will Porsche soon enter into contracts with these customers, disallowing quick re-sales for profit?
basically...if you got a 918 you were given first right of refusal on both GT4's, GT3 RS's and 911R's. After that the number of cars actually available to the "regular joe" is pretty minimal.

My GOOD GOOD friend sells Porsche's for a dealer and said there was no way in hell he could get me a 911R...none...don't even think about it.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:16 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Worldwide production of the 918 was/is 918 units. What is production numbers of Gt4, etc?

Just curious.

Still, Porsche figured out a production level to keep demand high. Porsche may not be a mass car producer like parent VW, but they still make and sell a rather large quantity of cars compared to Ferrari or sister Lamborghini.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:25 PM
ColoradoGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
Worldwide production of the 918 was/is 918 units. What is production numbers of Gt4, etc?

Just curious.

Still, Porsche figured out a production level to keep demand high. Porsche may not be a mass car producer like parent VW, but they still make and sell a rather large quantity of cars compared to Ferrari or sister Lamborghini.
Make no doubt about it. Porsche is now a mass producer of cars.....
Old 03-31-2016, 06:47 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Porsche has always made gt cars production in demand -1. GT cars a relatively new on the US market.

991gt3 was possibly to get. Just takes a while.
Gt4 is the same way, allocations still trickling in.

If demand is not satisfied with 2016 991rs they will keep making them as 2017s.

Porsche is trying to get an idea on actual demand for 991rs. Current situation with cars sitting unsold at huge markups doesn't help to determine demand.

We got two markets at the moment.

Market for MSRP +++++ cars.

Market for MSRP cars.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:56 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

In the ballpark of 200,000 cars per year. Their strategy to offer limited edition specials is a sound way of keeping some exclusivity to the brand. As long as the exclusive product is something truely unique.

Not the GM idea of just branding a car, limited, or collector edition.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:35 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Well, any new Porsche is not in the price range for the average Joe. I was recently in Greenwich Porsche the other day and there was a new 991 GT3 RS available for only around +125K over sticker. That eliminates about 99% of the population. I believe it was Purple so maybe one of the 918 owners changed his mind.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

not every specialty car is going to "ferrari" buyers.
but i do see a new type of buyers for limited edition porsches.
my plan is to buy a handful of new and old p cars and just add the miles on and not worry about what is coming up from the dealers. evnetually, they have no customers.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:48 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by mooty
not every specialty car is going to "ferrari" buyers. but i do see a new type of buyers for limited edition porsches. my plan is to buy a handful of new and old p cars and just add the miles on and not worry about what is coming up from the dealers. evnetually, they have no customers.
Don't worry, as soon as interest rates goes up those that bought to make quick cash will disappear faster than we can say over MSRP.
Porsche will be back to normal again.

But, I don't blame Porsche for taking advantage of the situation. Ferrari is doing the same thing. My buddy just received a cigar box with a key in it. Outside of the box has a picture of La Ferrari without roof. (Spider)
If you get asked to buy. you buy. Can't say no to that.
Then they make 458 speciale/ speciale abierto etc, etc. 612 special so and so. List goes on. Further down the latter you are, you get regular depreciating 458/488. Ferrari cashes in.

Porsche is making more money then ever. Is their strategy when it comes to gt cars sound? I'm with one foot in each camp. Think the 991gt3 and cayman gt4 is spot on.
RS and R could have been better. Ditch the panamera interior in those. Make them true lightweight. Normally less people would buy them. Today's market, we have buyers that love the cars and we have buyers trying to make quick money.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Well, any new Porsche is not in the price range for the average Joe. I was recently in Greenwich Porsche the other day and there was a new 991 GT3 RS available for only around +125K over sticker. That eliminates about 99% of the population. I believe it was Purple so maybe one of the 918 owners changed his mind.
When a dealer marks a car up over sticker, I do not think they share that extra profit with Porsche, rather it all goes to the dealership. Which is fine with me. if the market is +125k then so be it. Personally, that seems somewhat optimistic on their part.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:29 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Honkity Hank
When a dealer marks a car up over sticker, I do not think they share that extra profit with Porsche, rather it all goes to the dealership. Which is fine with me. if the market is +125k then so be it. Personally, that seems somewhat optimistic on their part.
It won't sell for $125k over sticker these days.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:36 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

The problem for Porsche is how to determine real demand. Normally towards end of production they can try to round up how many people they have still interested and try to meet that number.

As we all know there is plenty of demand. Just not at dealer mark up prices.

My guess is they will try to send as many RS as they can stateside. That will hopefully get more cars on the roads and that way make more money for Stuttgart. Cars that don't get driven don't make money.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:49 AM
ColoradoGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
not every specialty car is going to "ferrari" buyers.
but i do see a new type of buyers for limited edition porsches.
When Ferrari announces a new model, that model is only available for purchase by very few of Ferrari's best customers. And essentially Porsche is now playing the same game. Not that I blame them. Yes, if you purchased a 918, you now have first choice of the low production Porsches that follow. Understood.

But it is a bit misleading on Porsche's part to send out a mass email/marketing campaign to the world announcing their new model. When in reality that model is likely 98% sold out. And that car is not actually available for sale.

Again, not that I blame them for this great strategy. I'm thrilled when they come out with a 918 or a 911R. The SUV was a savior for Porsche. And Porsche needs to sell a lot of four door cars..... If they didn't, we would not likely see the development of the 918, 911GTRS, 911R etc..... In fact, without the four door Porsches, it could be argued that we wouldn't have any Porsches to consider. But understand that the development of Porsche's "special" models is crucial to Porsche's overall marketing strategy. I would imagine that less than 1% of all Porsches produced ever see a really spirited drive or any track time.
But I would imagine that this "feeling of connection" to Porsche's sporting cars is a factor in the decision making process of many Cayenne/Panamera buyers.

Perhaps we could hope that the media present the whole story during that initial press release. Asking the important questions.... Is this model actually available for purchase? Or are 98% already spoken for?
Old 04-01-2016, 03:14 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Porsche's strategy seems to be working. They seem to have found a way to be both a volume producer and a niche producer. Being a part of VW (and previous partnerships) has allowed them to spread development costs over a wider range of autos, but still maintain a difference in the eye of the consumer. I imagine that many SUV buyers do not know that the Cayenne has sisters, nor the Macan. To keep the sportscar market profitable, build a few limited production models, and keep the brand loyalty high. Good job Porsche.

As long as their management does not get the idea that they can save a bunch of money by making the sisters more or less the same except for the badge like GM did with their 5 brands; so that Audi, VW, Porsche, Lambo, etc are not selling against each other, I think it is a good strategy.

Frustrating for a guy like me, who wanted to order a GT4 but was told they were all sold out. Only to find any number of dealer ordered models listed for 10% to 20% over MSRP. So to the used car market I go, but somehow I don't think Porsche is missing me.

Quick Reply: Porsche the new "Ferrari"?