Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 05:30 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts

I replaced my OEM RS mounts (964 part) with the RSS last November. Initial thoughts were noticeable increased NVH but this may be due to already having LWF and already loud exhaust. After a few weeks you don't notice anymore as it becomes the norm. Connection to the car is definetly improved and I'd say it's a worth while change.

Name:  09A54FDC-EDED-46C3-8F5B-2C19FAF6C091.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  355.6 KB
Old 03-27-2016, 09:34 AM
tom03
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller

Tom: Can you comment on the NVH of the RSS mount? Their website says no increase in NVH but I find that hard to believe. It's a pretty looking part.
Hard to say if there is really an increase as the car is loud. I have renewed also the transmission mount at the same time. I think this is important as an old transmission mount causes a lot of movement. My stuff was moving so much in the transmission mount that it was "clicking/knocking" against the mount during hard shifting on the track.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:40 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I had my shop order Wevo's but they have yellow pillows. What does yellow mean vs black or blue? I had no idea I had a choice.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:07 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

Hi Spiller, I am using the black pillows, softer of the 2 choices. I was not aware of yellow... The black did not add any noise that I was aware of. The blue I'm told will introduce more nvh, but not sure how dramatic that might be. I actually have a pair of the blue that I think I will try just to see if there is any difference. This exercise will also allow me the chance to inspect the existing pillows for wear and to confirm torque settings on the assembly. Cool, another chance to play with the car.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:10 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

^^^ let us know how it goes!
Old 03-29-2016, 04:11 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tom03
Hard to say if there is really an increase as the car is loud. I have renewed also the transmission mount at the same time. I think this is important as an old transmission mount causes a lot of movement. My stuff was moving so much in the transmission mount that it was "clicking/knocking" against the mount during hard shifting on the track.
I agree, I like the idea of doing engine and transmission mounts at the same time. I would probably go with one of the aftermarket inserts for the transmission.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:20 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Hi All,

I run the RSS solid mounts. no apparent problems withy knock sensors. In addition, they are modeled after the Porsche RSR mounts, so they drop the rear of the motor assembly ~ 1/4 in.

WRT NVH - it's a track car, already way to loud :-)

Ray
Old 03-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
Hi Jake,
The RSS look nice. Good to know at least I am looking at the right part and application. No solid mounts for me for the reason you pointed out, and more stress on the car. Now, I have 3 option. 1) New Pillows, 2) Wevo's 3) RSS

Any tips on the install?
I was thinking put the car on jack stands and use a floor jack under the case to support the motor. The question is how much would I have to play with the floor jack to make sure everything is in the right place. Also, I saw a video to make sure old and we mounts are the same length. Would you recommend using any blue loctite on any side? I am guessing if I am only replacing the pillows I probably don't have to worry about length.
Sorry for the slow response. You are correct with supporting the engine with a jack and doing one at a time. Everything is keyed so they can really only be installed 1 way. No need for any loctite as the nuts should be lock nuts. If you choose to replace just the pillow's of the Wevo mounts you should also replace the lock nuts.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:05 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree, I like the idea of doing engine and transmission mounts at the same time. I would probably go with one of the aftermarket inserts for the transmission.
+1. I got the Rennline solid mounts, OEM transmission mount and F1 inserts (black). Got tranny fluid, oil, filters and gaskets ready as well. Going to do a little weekend car work

http://www.function-first.com/produc...s-mount-insert

-td

Name:  IMG_8397.JPG
Views: 672
Size:  124.0 KB
Old 03-29-2016, 07:40 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Motor Mounts - Update

Weill, I spoke with Wevo directly and found out a few interesting items. First, I did confirm I purchased/installed the mounts in 3/2008.

Wevo said the mounts were really designed for the 993. They said they are fine in your car - 6GT3, but most likely at the time of purchase they did not make a specific 996 version.

Black vs. Blue Pillows - The Blue are harder than the Black ones. Even though my car is mainly a track car they recommended the Black replacement pillows.

I will inspect the old mounts and if they are fine I will just replace the pillows. Otherwise, if I find any issues I will replace the mounts.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:04 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by himself
+1. I got the Rennline solid mounts, OEM transmission mount and F1 inserts (black). Got tranny fluid, oil, filters and gaskets ready as well. Going to do a little weekend car work

http://www.function-first.com/produc...s-mount-insert

-td

Attachment 1035633
The rennline parts look cool. Keep us updated with how you find them and the F1 insert
Old 03-30-2016, 12:10 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I also have the Rennline solid mounts that I put on the car in about an hour. Used jack to support engine and take load off the bolts. Installed in my garage on flat floor, car was on ground.
I noticed some new noises that I can hear through the car with the solid mounts. Car already was loud so a few more nvh sounds is not a big deal. Think most of us are always listening for new noises in our cars, but once you realize the sounds you are hearing are from the new mounts installed you just deal with it.
Stock motor mounts are huge compared to the Rennline mounts.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:14 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Motor Mount Install - Update

I took off the drivers side mount to replace the Black Pillows and found out a few interesting items.
1) The stud on the mount did not have the OEM style nut to lock the mount into the channel. So, the removal required someone on the top to hold the top 22mm nut otherwise the stud would just spin.
2) The Pillow was not in too bad shape except around the edges.
3) the OEM style bottom nut/washer was not OEM and was to separate parts. Looks like the function was the same.
4) Also, there was a washer under the mount.
5) I need a 9inch extension on the socket to reach the bolt from the bottom of the car. You are able to reach with your hand to start to thread. Not sure of this is the case on the right side since there is not as much room.
6) The replacement Black Pillow was slightly smaller than the one installed.

My guess is some of the differences are because as I found out before the mounts were for a 993. I will speak to Wevo on Monday and see what they say. I had my shop install the mounts in 2008.

So, I only installed the drivers side for now. Not sure if the slightly smaller surface area of the pillow will make a difference and will wait for input from Wevo.

The picture is the Wevo mount with the old Pillow next to an OEM mount.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2016, 10:12 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The rennline parts look cool. Keep us updated with how you find them and the F1 insert
Solid engine mounts worked fine. Just as expected and reported by many people. With the new transmission mounts, the car shifted the best it's ever shifted. Heel toe skipping 3rd was a breeze. I can now 4-2 smoothly. I swear it's almost as fast as a PDK taking 2 gears... ha!

No knock sensor issues. No vibration issues. No noise issues. No other issues. Just better.

-td
Old 04-12-2016, 05:12 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

^^^^^^^^
Which Trans mount inserts did you choose? Never mind, I see you used The FF units. Did you find that your OEM bushings needed to be replaced as well? Also did you go with the blacks, full track? Thanks

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts