Sponsored by:

TRW PCCB Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:06 AM
chawch
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matthew_brady
As a follow up to my post above, I received confirmation from ECS as well as two other suppliers of the Akebono pads linked above, and all three said these Akebono pads ARE compatible with PCCB brakes, including ceramic rotors. I'll try to remember to update the thread once I put them in and try them out.
So what do you think of the Akebonos? I'm tempted to swap my rear pads out and try out a pair of these.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:56 AM
matthew_brady
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chawch
So what do you think of the Akebonos? I'm tempted to swap my rear pads out and try out a pair of these.
Well, my rear pads actually had more life left than I originally thought, so I haven't put the Akebonos in yet...
Old 06-29-2017, 02:03 PM
chawch
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my rear pads actually had more life left than I originally thought, so I haven't put the Akebonos in yet...
I'll probably pick up a set and check them out. They happen to be on sale right now at ECS, and they confirmed to me as well they are fine with PCCB rotors. They were unable to give me a akebono part number so I could do some more research online, do you happen to have it? The akebono fit guide is pretty bare bones and mentions nothing about ceramic rotors, but like you said a couple of other sites mention they are pccb friendly.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:12 PM
matthew_brady
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chawch
I'll probably pick up a set and check them out. They happen to be on sale right now at ECS, and they confirmed to me as well they are fine with PCCB rotors. They were unable to give me a akebono part number so I could do some more research online, do you happen to have it? The akebono fit guide is pretty bare bones and mentions nothing about ceramic rotors, but like you said a couple of other sites mention they are pccb friendly.
So my box has the following numbers on it:

2 581 234 (This is ECS's part number, I believe)
99735294800 AKE (This is presumably the equivalent Porsche part no.)
EUR 776 (presumably the Akebono pad type/style)

Barcode is 8 2172610359 8

Note that I drive an 06 Cayman S with PCCBs (which are the same as the 997 GT3/Turbo S, IIRC), so this might be a different part number/part info than a 996 GT2/3, but hopefully some of that is helpful to you.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:52 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
I just bought/installed the OEM TRW pads for street use, tired of PFC scream...still have good bite but zero noise and smooth when aggressive braking on cool brakes...because OEM
#'s
TPC0091 front
TPC0994 rears
As a follow up to my post above, I received confirmation from ECS as well as two other suppliers of the Akebono pads linked above, and all three said these Akebono pads ARE compatible with PCCB brakes, including ceramic rotors. I'll try to remember to update the thread once I put them in and try them out.
Can you confirm that you are using or did use TRW brand pads with 996 PCCB rotors?

I need a definitive yes form someone before I risk rotor damage.

Thank you

Craig

Quick Reply: TRW PCCB Brake Pads