Sponsored by:

AIM EVO4 Installation Photos Available?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 02:22 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default AIM EVO4 Installation Photos Available?

In Feb 2011 SH II NC posted about his AIM installation. Unfortunately the links to the photos don't work anymore.

I've seen installations of the AIM SoloDL, but I'm interested in the EVO4.

Does anyone have files of the pics from 2011 or something similar with the AIM EVO4 and G Dash display?

TIA
Old 02-28-2016, 06:34 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Back in the day we just fabricated a simple L bracket to mount it on top of the steering column. Sorry don't have pics handy.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:37 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ken,

Based on the write up I think SH's shop did a very tidy installation and I was hoping to glean any tips before I do mine. As you suggested I had planned on a simple L bracket.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:20 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Hi Dave,

Couple of questions:

Does your car have a removable steering wheel? If so a bracket for the display can be fabbed that will bolt to the assembly.

I would recommend that the accelerometers be mounted low and close to the yaw center of the car.

Ray
Old 03-03-2016, 11:20 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Ray,

Still have the stock wheel. Haven't worked out where to put the G dash yet, that's one of the things I was hoping to see from other installations.

Thanks for the tip, I plan to place the EVO 4 under the passenger seat near the tunnel.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:39 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Dave,

You may be better from a yaw center perspective to put the box in the center console. It is a nit, but you do introduce a small error by not doing this. I used the cup holder assembly to mount my display...

Ray
Old 03-03-2016, 11:56 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Ray
Thanks, good advice.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:28 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

In a GT3 on the rear center tunnel is a great place to mount the main unit.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:27 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Ken.
I think that's where SH II NC had his mounted.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:17 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 991 Posts

This is how I mounted my Motec. I used a CF 90º bracket along with a CF plate. I epoxied the 90º CF angle between two CF plates and then cut and sanded everything for a perfect fit. I installed 2 T-nuts in the upper half of the column cover and secured the Motec bracket with two bolts. It's super sturdy and looks very OEM.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/y8FKhp]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ynT9MG]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wzsKUX]
Old 03-05-2016, 04:03 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting the pics of your professional looking installation, Powdr.

I think Motec makes 5 and 7 inch displays. Did you choose the C125 (5 inch) display so you could see it better inside the wheel? Any issues with seeing the shift lights?

I can't tell from the photos, did you route the Motec cable inside of the column cover and then under the lower dash cover?
Old 03-05-2016, 10:20 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-C2
Thanks for posting the pics of your professional looking installation, Powdr.

I think Motec makes 5 and 7 inch displays. Did you choose the C125 (5 inch) display so you could see it better inside the wheel? Any issues with seeing the shift lights?

I can't tell from the photos, did you route the Motec cable inside of the column cover and then under the lower dash cover?
I went with the 5" as I wanted to be able to see the shift lights and also the fuel gauge on the cluster. With the 5" display, the full Motec display including the shift lights is visible though the steering wheel. I have the RUF 365mm wheel which is a little smaller than the stock Porsche wheel which is 380mm. In retrospect I could have gone with the 7" display as I'm planning on displaying fuel on the Motec anyway. I am also adding the Motec shift light / alert module which will be placed ahead of the gauge cluster by the windshield so the built in shift light on the display will not be necessary. The main reason I'm adding the remote shift module (besides having it in a direct field of vision) is that I am switching to a 997Cup steering wheel / QD which will block the Motec shift lights due to the fact that the steering wheel is rather small at 330mm. You can see in the Youtube clip (link is at the bottom) how visible the shift lights are. You can't miss them. I just installed the Aim Smarty Cam but had a bad out of the box Aim ECU bridge and as such it would not overlay any ECU data, only GPS data.

We run the 7" Motec displays (127/187) in our Spec Boxsters but we have the column cover partially cut away and we use a narrow hub so the display can be positioned lower closer to the column. With a 350mm steering wheel, the whole 7" display is visible. I can always swap to the 7" display as the wiring is the same for both.

The Motec stuff is really nice. My race shop uses it pretty much exclusively in all their race cars. My understanding is that Motec is pretty much what all the pro teams use. It's pretty much infinitely expandable. I think the Aim displays are super nice also, more than enough for us weekend warriors and they are a good bit cheaper. I use the Aim SmartyCam2 with the Aim ECU bridge to tie in with the Motec. It works well. I am currently using the Motec display to show all the data from CAN bus and obviously the basics like speed and rpm. I am also using external sensors to display oil pressure, gearbox temp, and I'm in the process of adding brake pressure and fuel pressure. The possibilities are pretty much endless with all the available external Motec sensors. When my shop installed it they fabricated and installed a custom harness which makes it easy to add a bunch of external sensors.

Here is a close up of the Motec bracket and how it's attached to the column cover. The cable is routed though a slot in the over. The slot is about 3" deep so that the cable does not get pinched as you adjust the column in and out.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/DXDMMV]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EsUHu9]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/EJygq1]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbecaVvRc2s

Last edited by powdrhound; 03-06-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:27 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing all the details, that installation is very well done

I'm familiar with Motec from my modded 964; it's great equipment, but agree that AIM is sufficient for what I'm doing now.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:46 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Very nice installation...

Ray

Quick Reply: AIM EVO4 Installation Photos Available?