Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Main Seal

Old 02-11-2016, 03:24 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal

There really aren't too many recent discussions on RMS (rear main seals). Hoping to get some up to date data on the best decision for rear main seal replacement.

Many have stated they have switched to the turbo seal and it's bone dry but makes a chirping / squealing sound. Anyone have the part number for this seal and does it continue to squeal after you get some miles on it?

Anyone else gone another direction on the seal (OEM GT3 seal) and still had good success...or regrets after the fact?

I thought my car was immune to the rear main seal leak. Mine has been through 2 front mains in 4.5 years but those are easy and can be replaced in a couple of hours. Rear main is obviously a bit more involved and I'd like to have it done once and not worry about it for some time to come.

Appreciate any feedback,
Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Andy, first data point:

On purchase and pre-delivery, I asked my shop to preemptively change out the RMS as we were in there for clutch/LWFW/etc.

We discussed options and I ended up using the updated GT3 design based upon 'now-lost' internet research ;-).

The P p/n for what i used is 997.102.264.91.
The records also reference a 'RMS spacer' but no p/n given...

No issues since and dry. Just had it gone over for a nut & bolt, suspension work, and some other stuff with a general check up, and all is well. About 2 years, mainly track days, sitting in between mostly.

HTH.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:16 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Not sure about noises related to the seal (not sure why it would, noise=wear..) but the Turbo seal works very well, none of the 996tt/GT2 I see/work-on leak....
while not GT3 8k+ revs, I still spin mine to 7200rpm...
Old 02-12-2016, 09:08 AM
loworbitsi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

A squaking Turbo RMS owner here. The car has had several rear seals. One replacement was done before I got the car. It continued to drip. I replaced it myself and it dripped less, but it was still wet. I took it to a shop and they put in another GT3 spec rear seal, and for whatever reason that thing leaked like a broken faucet. The last seal was from a 997 Turbo and it's bone dry. It does however chirp / burp / squeak when the car is running. It sounds like a bad serpentine belt.

The noise has not changed in pitch / tone / volume in about 6,000 miles of use. It also continues to be bone dry. I'm doing a clutch and would like to replace the seal, but then I'm taking the risk of having it leak again.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:01 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I have the turbo seal, with no problems. No chirp. I understand, however, that there is a special tool for replacing this seal, and it is easy to do damage to the mating surfaces without it.
I changed it "while I was there".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal