Sponsored by:

Cancelled orders for 2 GT3s

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cancelled orders for 2 GT3s

My son and I cancelled our orders for 2 GT3s (March delivery) a few days ago, after he had a chance to drive one for 50 miles through some mountain roads near Boulder. The car had approx. 300 miles on the odometer. Our expectation of the GT3 was that it would be a good combination street/track car. As further context for his remarks, Jr. is an experienced driver on the track, mostly with his M3, but also with my Shelby Cobra, which he loves.
The following are some of his abbreviated comments on the GT3 that he sent me by e-mail. These are just being put out for everyone's interest and not meant to re-ignite any further discussion on the GT3's merits.
As for me, I've decided to buy a GT2.

Very basic interior
lumpy idle...Car actually jiggles
lacks low end power
Rock hard suspension on normal streets....Totally unforgiving even compared to my BMW's that sport Dinan suspensions
Front end scraps the ground even on small bumps
Turning into corners is unsettling to say the least...like having two steering ratios that have a mind of their own
Stiff clutch pedal
Brakes a little dead feeling
Heavy steering feel
Tram-lines a lot during normal driving

Overall I give it a 7 on a 1-10 scale of overall drivability as a street car
I would give my M3 a 8.5 and I would give my M5 a 9.5
Old 10-01-2003, 01:42 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very basic interior
lumpy idle...Car actually jiggles
Rock hard suspension on normal streets....Totally unforgiving even compared to my BMW's that sport Dinan suspensions
Front end scraps the ground even on small bumps
Turning into corners is unsettling to say the least...like having two steering ratios that have a mind of their own
Stiff clutch pedal
Heavy steering feel

Reasons why I bought the GT3...

...and you're gonna get a GT2??
Old 10-01-2003, 01:58 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

My point exactly Metal Solid.

I bought the GT3 for all those reasons.
I never craped my front lip though.
And I don;t understand the complaint of no low end.

Basically if you grew up with Iroc Z's and Vette's and American Power the GT3 is clearly not for you.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:03 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Hmmmmmmmm. My thoughts of getting a GT3 sometime spring 2004 from a used car lot for a lot less money is looking pretty promising.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Defenders of the GT3 Faith!!!!!

Do not bomb the infidels every time they criticise. Show religious tolerance and grace under fire.

it's a good car; it has certain obvious attributes that make some porschephiles prefer turbo power... especially for hillclimbs as one gt3 owner recently discovered.

Here, for fairness i'll criticise gt2's:

-my front brake ducts are almost ground off from grinding on the ground [exagerating, i just hear them scrape alot]
-car should've been 200 lbs lighter [to quote walter]
- car couldve done 7.39:

Walter Rohrl in "Excellence Was Expected" by Karl Ludvigsen on his record setting 7:47 lap at the Ring in the GT2...

"It wasn't set up properly and I wasn't even trying"

Last edited by Sun Ra; 10-03-2003 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:19 PM
noony
Racer

I don't think people should judge these cars until everything is broken in and working properly.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:24 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Default cut myself off

sorry i cut myself off.

-Gt2's have very poor high speed stability relative to TT's above 150. car is not optimal for Open road racing above 165

-factory wheels are ridiculously heavy at 28/33 F/R

-PCCB brakes have suspect longevity and poor trackability by some, although myself and many i know have had nothing but great stopping power

-car should come with IRC built in

- car was overpriced at retail, as is gt3 [[bombs away!!!]]

- i only get 5000 from a set of pilot rears which are hard compound

every car has imperfections. TT's stock suspension sux relative to gt3/gt2, stock boxsters underpowered, etc

do you guys remember this coupon you sent me when i did my first drive gt3 write up???

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

RR,
You pegged me correctly. I grew up with American muscle, and I love low-end torque. The GT3 may have plenty of low end for you, and that's great. But, I've been spoiled by my Shelby Cobra which weighs in at 2480 lbs. and sports a 565 HP Ford small block (that's 4.3 lbs/HP). It puts out over 500 ft/lbs of T starting at 2500 rpm and going up to 5500 rpm. With 335 Hoosiers on the back, it's a wild beast, but great fun at the track, and I'm still looking for a street legal Porsche to pass me on the track (not meant to be a challenge).
The unfortunate downside is that I've blown the motor twice in the last 12 months.
Having owned 3 Porshes over the years, I know their reliability, so my interest in the GT2 is to have a completely reliable and competitive back-up track car, as well as a fun occasional street driver. The GT3 was really my son's idea for us to have 2 identical cars on the track at the same time instead of his M3 and my Shelby Cobra. But, the power of the GT2 (with a few tweaks) will suit my style and background better than the GT3. After all, when my driving ability fails to keep me out front in the turns, there's nothing like some outrageous power applied in the straights to solve the problem.
Jr. drove a TT with the X50 option in the last few days, and came away saying the power was incredible, and the turbo lag didn't phase him a bit. He liked the whole experinece much better than the GT3. I don't know what he's going to do since he bailed on the GT3, but I'm gettin' enthusiastic about the GT2 for myself.
POWER CORRUPTS!
Old 10-01-2003, 03:11 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by watt
Defenders of the GT3 Faith!!!!!

Do not bomb the infidels every time they criticise. Show religious tolerance and grace under fire.

it's a good car; it has certain obvious attributes that make some porschephiles prefer turbo power... especially for hillclimbs as one gt3 owner recently discovered.
No bodies being bomb, yet, so your preemptive strike is premature...

One owner did discover in unfamiliar country the attributes of a 500bhp Turbo running on semi slicks, suspended by H&R PSS9s, and from this did extrapolate a stock Turbo would have trouble keeping up with a stock GT3.

Re-fuel your bombers.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

metal

did you get your 2 replacement tyres yet? i hope you appreciate the help.

i do agree a stock gt3 and TT are about the same: 7.54 to 7.56 around the Ring. and $5K of mod.s does make a TT much faster than gt3....
Old 10-01-2003, 03:34 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Johninrsf
when my driving ability fails to keep me out front in the turns, there's nothing like some outrageous power applied in the straights to solve the problem.
Dont improve the driver, just throw more money at the car.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

E.J.

I'm tryin'. I'm tryin'.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:46 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Watt,

I owe you and Oak a beer, thanks!. The dealer where I bought the car have excellent service, they were on it before I even woke. I got two tires, keeping one as a spare. To my surprise the rear tires are super light.

Keeping the faith.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Originally posted by E. J. - 993 Alumni
Dont improve the driver, just throw more money at the car.
a very good point.... which applies to everyone more -- or less.

EJ!!!

how are you?? hey you can help me out on the "gt2 sux" theme, please!!!

how about:

if watt knew how to drive he wouldnt buy a gt2 anyway 'cause he wouldn't need the power.

more seriously,

what do you think of the Ruf RGT with 2700 lbs and 400 HP NA? i hear car is 140K US legal, i'm thinking about it seriously. Alois says A/C [which i have to have] is a 15-20 kg penalty. think RS in looks, especially the wing....
Old 10-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Johninrsf,

All your negative feedback on the GT3 will be at least twice as negative in the GT2 and that is a fact, but hey, good luck but souds like even more wasted money to me.

Sounds to me like you should wait for the new supercharged Mustang.

Ciao,

Johannes E.

Quick Reply: Cancelled orders for 2 GT3s