Default Re: Cancelled orders for 2 GT3s

Originally posted by Johninrsf
Overall I give it a 7 on a 1-10 scale of overall drivability as a street car
I would give my M3 a 8.5 and I would give my M5 a 9.5
And I bet he will give the Lexus SC430 a perfect "10"

Soft lively brake feeling
Luxurious interior
Dead quiet when idle
Soft suspension (bump? what bump? The road was smooth like butter)
Soft clutch pedal... oh wait, NO clutch pedal... my bad
Soft numb steering feel

A perfect "10" indeed.

Hehehe just kidding, it must be getting late... don't take this seriously okay
Old 10-03-2003, 08:45 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that SOME members are very harsh here and do criticize people for asking questions or posting opinions. It can be very discouraging for new drivers who want to learn things or are maybe just curious.

In this case though, John came across like an MMM208 (or whatever his name was) with a slightly better education. For a man so intelligent, how can you base your decision solely on test drives?? The GT3 is different than any other 996 available by far - maybe it will take time to learn the car rather than a test drive.. ever think of that? Of course the 996 TT X50 will have more power low end - look at the TQ #'s. You dont have to even drive the car to see that - as will the GT2. If you have $$ to throw away which you certainly make it sound as if you do (GT2 as a backup car), go ahead and buy the GT2. I think a few pics were posted on here of what the car will look like in the hands of a driver who doesnt respect nor appreciate its power. Just doesnt seem like ANY Porsche will ever give you what you seem to enjoy on the street/track. And that is OK too... I have plenty of friends who say "I would have bought the new VIPER for $90K with 500HP before I bought a GT3 for $110!" That car has characteristics they deem important and gives them the driving pleasure they desire - even though the GT3 will beat a stock NEW viper around the track.

I would say you and your son should get Identical Z06's and mod them for track. They will be very fast, give you the power you so desire, and cost you less then ONE new Turbo X50, let alone GT2. Sounds like both a better investment and a better match for what you guys want.

I know plenty of Doctors/Lawyers here in NY who have owned more than 3 Porsches for 20 years.. They drive them every day cause they think they are cool and as a status symbol. That certainly doesnt suggest they know what the car really can do nor appreciate it. Tell us you have owned several 911's over the years and have driven them on the track with 100's of hours logged - that will certainly hold more weight than just "owning" them. Although that seems to be a good enough reason for Seinfeld..

At least John new the Engine was in the rear though - I gotta give him credit for that..
Old 10-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

"I posted Jr.'s thoughts about the GT3 in good faith (and at Watts suggestion, you rascal!!) for everyone's information. Jr. is entitled to his opinion, just as you're entitled to yours. And you should assume that his is as valid as yours"

JOhn, you PM'd me on this subject and i believe i predicted the reaction!! i have come to your aid and even provided a crit of gt2's since you are considering one!!! if that's not fair what is??

other than that you gotta stand on your own 2 feet, and these boys know their stuff and as you now know won't hesitate to respond!!!

just let it roll, and learn from these guys: if you step back and re-read this thread without defending your honour, you'll see that there is a lot to be learned on many subjects!!!!. e.g., EJ knows more about porsches and driving fast than 99.9% of posters here. metal has 1000's of miles on his gt3, greg fishman has deep track experience, etc, etc, etc

and since you are thinking of a gt2, why not buy the fastest colour Speed Yellow, as proven on the gt2 board via real folk science [search for this!!].
My car is for sale:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=91357

and not for the reasons i posted, i just need a change as specified above. but i have posted opinions on gt3's and wanted to complete my view on gt2 especially since you were considering one. i believe it's the finest stock porsche for those who need torque and pure power.

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:26 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by watt
and since you are thinking of a gt2, why not buy the fastest colour Speed Yellow, as proven on the gt2 board via real folk scence [search for this!!].
Damn watt, you make it so hard hard for me to criticize. SY - Yet another thing we agree on. And it looks spectacular on your GT2. Care to trade for an A6? :O

Oh and as for me knowing more about Porsches and driving fast than 99% here, thank you, but I hope that's not true. You have to remember there are lots of people here who remain quiet and unassuming. I am obviously not one of them, but if one looks hard enough, they can find information posted by the truly best in the Porsche biz. Its just usually hard to spot since they dont pound on their chests or attract attention. There are people here with inside connections at the factory and PCNA as well as guys that know more about hustling a Porsche (or any car for that matter) around a track in their sleep than I can ever hope to know when I'm awake. The trick is wading through the crap to find that nugget of priceless information.

Anyway, good luck selling the car, and why doesn't John buy yours and thank you for taking the initial depreciation hit?

Edit: Damn watt, you're selling that thing for $139? Let me call my mortgage broker and mortgage the house.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:19 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by Johninrsf
I posted Jr.'s thoughts about the GT3 in good faith (and at Watts suggestion, you rascal!!) for everyone's information. Jr. is entitled to his opinion, just as you're entitled to yours. And you should assume that his is as valid as yours. Especially at the point where you are now, where you don’t have a clue what his experience is in Porsches or at the track! In fact, it is considerable, in both cases, and for you to suggest that he’s never even driven a Porsche is frankly a characteristic that is going to get you into a lot of trouble some day if it hasn't already ---making assumptions, without a firm basis for doing so.
I think I made it clear that you should take no offence at my posting and that you should look hard at your decision of buying a GT2. I wanted to point these things out to you to save you money not insult you, however judging from your response which is childish to say the least I presently highly doubt that you are who you say you are.

The facts speak for them selves. If you have driven 911's you would NOT have posted the feelings that you get driving a GT3 as they are all CLASSIC 911 characteristics. I mean com'on... the car is so low its scraping??? My race car who I drive on the street is set at RSR height and I do not scrape!!!!!So what do you expect me or any other 911 driver to think???? Yes Jr is entitled to his opinion but the only think I disputed is his experience with 911's. When you post these things on a Porsche board what do you expect? Not being called for it when you describe how a proper 911 feels like??? Yeah when i moved from my front engined Porsches of the past I could not believe how a 911 handles and how people actually like driving them fast! As a matter of fact one of my very first posts on the 993 board was if the feelings I was getting were normal or my car was bad!!! These feelings were pretty much along the lines of how JR described them... So you can clearly see how I made the association. I never said that JR does not have the right to express his opinion.

You rate an .... M5 as a 9.5 and then you expect for me to think that you actually like "harsh" cars? I mentioned that I do OWN an M3 for 4 years now,which by comparison to my 993's is a luxo barge for MY taste. Nothing wrong with that, I do enjoy my race car RSR stiff suspension even on the street and i would for sure enjoy a nice stiff GT3. I did point out the fact that North Americans do enjoy luxo barges...again nothing wrong with that either!!!
It is just a sad fact that for people like me who we are on the minority and prefer stiff like a board cars do not get to taste them here simply because the market who can afford them does not want to buy them. I really cannot see why would anyone get offended by having a preference!!! Its like I like Italian food and you don't! What's wrong with that???

This is my last post on this thread, I will not come down to your level of insults and immature thinking , if you want to talk like adults feel free to PM me. If you really sit back and read what everyone here has said you will see that we actually wanted to save you money.
Coming here and posting these things expecting everyone to agree with you ,then you are very much mistaken.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:57 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Adogny wrote:
I know plenty of Doctors/Lawyers here in NY who have owned more than 3 Porsches for 20 years.. They drive them every day cause they think they are cool and as a status symbol
Please don't make such generalizations about other Porsche owners. A lot of Docs, including myself, enjoy "driving" our Porsches on the street and track.
P.S. It IS a pretty cool car too!
Old 10-03-2003, 03:05 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone read the October '03 edition of the UK's Car magazine? It has a great write-up comparison of the new (unavailable in US) M3CSL and the C2 996. I think it would have been a better comparison if it had compared it to the GT3, but I believe the reason was that the CSL and 996 are similar in price. Yet the CSL is a bare bones 360hp M3 ala 996 GT3. Yet, they prefered the bare 996 over the CSL because the CSL "is a saloon made into a sports car" unlike the 996, which is a true sports car. The 996 "is colossally more practical.....more engaging to drive than the CSL because you have to learn the Porsche's particular ways and when you do it's more sensuous." That is why I like it. A true sports car. Sometimes the europeans like practicality and plushness too. Just thought I share
Old 10-03-2003, 09:35 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

to adogny-you are taking the position that you have unique knowledge and talent that allows you to drive a porsche in the proper way. all of these docs and lawyers are unable to drive the car to its limits, so they are posers and don't deserve to drive the car. is that why everyone buys a car? do you think that people like yourself should decide who really is capable of driving the car to its limits. i guess you have to be a real man, like you, to drive a 911. you obviously are an experienced and well known race car driver. to everyone out there, if you have a car, and buy it because you enjoy it, but are unable to explore its full potential, adogny says you shouldn't have it. right.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:21 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

That is exactly what I was saying.. You are very clever man.

I expect you to sell yours immediately. I dont know how you got that out of my post, but whatever. The mistake I did make was saying Doctors and Lawyers and I apologize to DJ 996. I should have used to word "professionals" or something. I was merely making the point that JOHN said he has owned 3 Porsches, as if that means he understands what the car is all about. I was suggesting that there are many people who just buy the cars to look cool or as a status symbol, so merely owning them doesnt mean you really know the cars potential. There are plenty of professionals who can certainly drive their cars to the limit and probably much better than me, while there are others who use it to get from point A to Point B like a Saturn except it says "I have money...".

Regardless, your response is totally off base as to what I was saying and I decided you do not have the right to drive a 911. Please post it for sale immediately and I will forgive you. Thanks Doc.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:35 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

hey adogny, i am just wondering, what special training and extensive race experience do you have that has tought you to use the 911 to it's full potential?
Old 10-03-2003, 11:39 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

No special training. I am a self proclaimed expert according to your translation of my thread. Once again brings me to my point that you cannot make a comment without getting criticized on here. Since you have the time, please re-read it again and then my second response. If you still cannot understand what I am saying, I will arrange a tutor to visit you at home and work with you on your reading and comprehension skills.

How much do you want for your 911 by the way?
Old 10-03-2003, 11:40 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

and 1 more point-the average porsche buyer is not the track or canyon racer, but the person who likes the way the car looks, and wants to have one. most racers are buying used cars and modifying them. in fact if the company had to wait for people to buy the car who could completely explore it's potential, there would be no porsche n.a.-and that's a fact.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:46 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

agogny-you are not the victim. remember, it was YOUR comment that criticized the doctors and lawyers who where buying the car because they think they are a status symbol. you can criticize others, but if you get it back, you squeel.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:48 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

Maybe so, and I part of my love for Porsche is the way the look. But I still think you misinterpreted and got way off the topic here and still do not see the point I was making. Let's just drop it and move on to something more productive.

I changed my mind - you can keep your 911. It will help Porsche NA stay in business.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:51 PM
ADOGNY
Racer

No squeeling - I apologized for the Doctor/Lawyer comment. You take it as if I was knocking them all.. That was just a fraction of what the post was about and you keep harping on it. Move past that ... Try this - subsitute DOCTORS/LAWYER with the word "PEOPLE". Maybe that will help.

Quick Reply: Cancelled orders for 2 GT3s