996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Watt's Gt3 Was Slow

Old 09-14-2003, 07:53 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. The US is a different market than the rest of the world. The majority of us prefer straight line speed as opposed to performance on the track. This is why F1 (road course racing) is not as popular here as it is everywhere else.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Tom 77
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would use it as a daily car but I've seen the new buyers. Power this and automatic that... Thats the way it is. Those people will never understand a GT3. I couldn't use it as daily driver, but thats because I couldn't do that to such a fine, precise machine ( I do about 30K a year - plus the mileage on the P car). It is truly a Porsche,IMHO
Old 09-14-2003, 09:02 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Tom I understand, really I do! Still waiting though, hope to have it by x mas.

Best,

Don A.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:44 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't use the GT3 as a daily driver, nor do I, not because the suspension is too stiff - it isn't - but because the front spoiler is too low to cross most driveways, plus I'd be worried about where I parked it; and as someone said, using the GT3 as a daily driver is a shame and waste.

The American market, in general, isn't ready for cars like the GT3, sports cars, especially expensive ones, are seen as something in which to pose and for going really really fast in a straight line. Sadly, (also a good thing) forums like this don't reflect the American market on a whole.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:51 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got to remember, though, that the average porsche driver is not a track or race enthusiast-they, for one reason or another, just want to drive a porsche. to the average porsche buyer, a gt3 would not be a good daily drive. to those of you who want gt3 type performance and ride at all costs, then it can work.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:57 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by ZAMIRZ
turn your caps lock off.
Originally posted by mmm208
SAYING PLEASE WOULD BE NICE.
I DONT LIKE TO BE ORDERED AROUND.
Originally posted by ZAMIRZ
b!tch please
<OT>

I hate to seem like an instigator but I gotta say that was like the one of the funniest exchanges I have seen here in a while.

Thanks for the good laugh...
Old 09-14-2003, 11:08 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by MetalSolid
I wouldn't use the GT3 as a daily driver, nor do I, not because the suspension is too stiff - it isn't - but because the front spoiler is too low to cross most driveways, plus I'd be worried about where I parked it; and as someone said, using the GT3 as a daily driver is a shame and waste.
So why excatly would Porsche make a car like this... so it can be packed away in the garage and driven ONLY on the track? Tracking a car like this and trading paint with out of control midgit Miata's, loose rubber flecked at the front bumper, will certainly serve it up more abuse than any street parked, speed bump curbed bumper.

If I purchased one... YEP you better damn well beleive it...I am driving that baby every day the weather permits on and off the track! I live to enjoy my passions not look at them caged away in a box or garage.

Per Ferry Porsche- the car you drive daily should be a car you can drive for sport.

Old 09-15-2003, 07:24 AM
Tom 77
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, Lets see. No speed limits when Ferry was around, no dim-wits in SUV's, no 55/65 Mph speed limit on perfectly straight highways. One in ten family's (if that many) owned a car, now its 4 cars per family. The cops were supposed to be protectors not tax collectors. DE events is the only place where I can find the true potential of the car. I would gladly drive it every single day but it is no longer practical. Yet- I can still drive it on the street, It is the perfect car for an enthusiast.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:40 AM
Fast_Bubba
AutoX

I agree that GT3 and GT2 are not everyone's cup of tea as a daily driver but I spend the vast amount of my time at work and I need something to unwind myself on the way home. I have a medium distance commute with twisties and some long open stretches with no easy access to patrol. This is my stress reliever and I get nearly as much enjoyment as I do on the track. If I had wanted a track only car, I would have bought one. The problems I have are pulling out of my driveway (I have to do it at <10mph with the slightest scrape) and the last 2.5 miles which is stop and go. Otherwise the ride to and from is pure joy and always exciting. Is that a waste, maybe, but not to me. Also when I just need a mind numbing commute, I take my wife's car or the minivan.

Regards,
Robert

Old 09-15-2003, 10:58 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

This month's Pano has a side by side comparison of the new GT3 and the factory GT3 Cup car. The latter of course is designed exclusively for track use (no carpet, no A/C, roll cage, etc.). If you want a pure track car, the GT3 Cup is the factory product for this purpose.

Porsche is intending the GT3 to be a street car that's also perfect for the track - not as exclusively a track car. If I had a GT3 I'd be driving it on a daily basis.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:08 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Sean M.
If I had a GT3 I'd be driving it on a daily basis.
Yep, you better beleive, I'd be pull'n up next to ya at the stop light ...not to race of course but imagine the visual to a guy in a Z06 sitting behind two GT3's setting side by side at the traffic light

Old 09-15-2003, 05:43 PM
mmm208
Banned

what mag is " Pano " and where can i get a copy?
Old 09-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by mmm208
what mag is " Pano " and where can i get a copy?
Panorama magazine... it is included with your paid membership to the Porsche Club of America.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:14 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Hey Double nutzs...was thinking the same...funny
Old 09-16-2003, 01:15 AM
ADOGNY
Racer

I chose the GT3 over the GT2 for 2 Big reasons:

1) $80K less for GT3
2) with my beginner level of skill, I would not be any faster in the GT2 over the GT3 for quite some time. I might even be slower!!

I love the GT3 and am glad I chose it over a 996TT even with the X50 option. Maybe in time as I get better, a used GT2 will be an option since the prices will be down a bit. We shall see...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why Watt's Gt3 Was Slow