Sponsored by:

Fuel Vent Valve Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 02:55 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Vent Valve Question

My '04 GT3 sometimes pukes fuel onto my fender when I'm filling it trackside using jerry cans. After some research I decided it was likely the fuel vent valve not opening. I went and bought one but haven't yet installed. I just tested it by opening the fuel filler flap with my finger, and I can hear the valve open and close (yes I should have tested first). Problem is I can hear that the valve isn't opening until the flap is nearly all the way open. Is this normal? This must be why I'm having the filling problems, because the jerry can filler tube doesn't open the flap completely. Is there any way to adjust this? Will replacing the vent valve make any difference?

Thx
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2015, 08:05 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

You could use a funnel, but thats a PITA if alone...

Assuming you are using a plastic tube from the top of the Jerry can like Apex or OG sells (etc), what I did was buy a plastic connector that would be used to join two pieces of the same size tubing (any plumbing supply store would have same). Its a piece with two ribbed ends and a detent (collar or stop) in the middle. One ribbed end fits (tightly) into the hose from the can and the other ribbed end would be for the other hose (if you can picture that) - i use that open end to fit into the the fuel filler hole which opens the flap wide enough to avoid the issue you are having. Acts like a nozzle. If its an Apex/OG Can the tubing is sized correctly for the fuel filler hole so the adapter for joining the same size hose works.

Works, but (1) you still have to be careful as if you just 'dump it in' it will come back at you (ie overfill/fill too fast) and (2) be careful removing same from vent opening (dont want to pull the connector off the hose for obvious reasons).

Just a thought (and I hope the above is somewhat clear, lol). Might be something to try rather than replacing the valve. GL
Old 03-03-2015, 02:39 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx Cello. I'm surprised no one else has experience with this. Would appreciate if someone else could try pushing in their fuel flap door and let me know how far it needs to be depressed before they hear the vent open.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:55 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...flowing-2.html

had 2 time repair under cpo ...torture but now works...llooks like your piece is #12...i think the #23 was many hours of labor to get to....im no mechanic though...good luck

mk
Old 03-04-2015, 12:16 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I had the same problem, and had to have the valve replaced. $$labor. But, now, no problem. I tried using a long hose, funnel, etc. none of that worked consistently for me.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:32 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Me too chuck. Long hose no workie.

Mk

Quick Reply: Fuel Vent Valve Question