Sponsored by:

the GT3 Market

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 10:49 PM
LSM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by brh986
Ok you were wrong (if by a hair) on handling, braking, power to weight, and lap times. Nuff said.
I guess your right, although I am curious where you learned numbers. power to weight even, what are you taking a fully loaded tiptronic car as your basis?? How are you lightening up the GT3 by subtracting weight for seats unavailable in US. If I was wrong I would admit it, I cannot believe you are carring this on when I simple I was mistaken would have solved this misguided banter between you and me. handling based on skidpad turbo, I said it was a better track car and posted the results myself. The GT3 barely does the Nurbugring faster when it is basically a dedicated track car. It is a far cry from your claim of the GT3 besting the stock turbo in everything but 0-60, it seems it bests it in every acceleration test and beats it in 0-200-0 which is curious since the GT3 (with ceramic brakes of coarse stops a whole 2.1 meters shorter)

Further, reread my posts, I myself say what the GT3 is better at that states exactly what you state above. So what was I wrong about? Do not understand anything you are writing. No point as usual and no leg to stand on. Facts are facts my friend, I could ultimately end up being wrong when more tests are done and that is fine I would then take it like a man. To come on here make blanket statements and voice opinions that have proven incorrect is ignorant. I do not need to keep going back and forth, I will not respond to your posts anymore so if you want to have the last word, go ahead, everyone reading this post can see the above posts, the hard data, your opinions and then judge for themselves. Take care.

-Lou

-Lou
Old 08-29-2003, 10:56 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by Steve in FL
LSM: I don't think anyone is denying that the Turbo can be made faster than the GT3 for a few $K in engine mods. They're still different cars and different experiences. Some of us just prefer the GT3 which I think I'd describe as more "involving" to drive. The GT2 probably provides a similiar experience with the possibility of cheap HP improvments but even on the used market they're out of my rationalization range. Besides, and call me old fashioned if you must , but I just like the sound of a high revving 911 motor. Turbo engines are just too subtle for me.
Steve,

Absolutely, I know it doesn't seem like it, but I am a huge fan of the GT3. If you look at previous posts of mine, I comment quite a bit about a test on the Nurbugring between GT3 and M3 CSL and the reasons behind the CSL posting a faster time. Anyway, my point, if I can still remember it was that an individual posted that the GT3 beats the stock turbo in every category except 0-60 and that is just not true. I wanted to get the facts out and my temper got the best of me. Take care and enjoy your car.

-Lou

PS. check out www.fabspeed.com and click on the sharky video of the fabspeed super sport exhaust. You won't call that subtle
Old 08-29-2003, 11:24 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

LSM: I didn't have a problem with any of your posts and, to return the compliment, I might well have a 996 Turbo if there wasn't a GT3. Or maybe a 360 to be sacriligious. I find that car very appealing but I don't want to buy one used and can't rationalize a new one.

I'm one of the folks that commented the GT3 was faster on all but the 0-60 but that was based on the C&D numbers which seem better than what anybody else has recorded. You pointed out the track-challenge.com numbers which gave the raw number edge to the Turbo and the track times to the GT3 but it was very close on both. I'm perfectly content to say that they're both damned nice cars and folks are lucky to have either. I'm really glad Porsche gives us the choice.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:57 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

You admit the GT3 was faster on the track yet somehow the turbo is better in EVERY test. What do you think a lap time is other than the sum of all the parts?
Old 08-30-2003, 01:38 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

boys with the numbers, you are benchracing, and it is boring and meaningless.

go drive the cars and compare. because it's all jack-off what yo jivin'

TT's are great but the beauty of gt3 And gt2 is stock off the shelf they are special high eprformance cars. TT's are born to be mod'd.

for 111 gt3 gives you pccb brakes, amazing adjustable handling and good power

for 140-150 gt2 gives you gt3 plus rad amazing turbo power AND mod-ability by ruf, etc to 550 for 20K more. an amazing bargain. and very good looking/

for 85+20+[10-15] you can have a ruf 550 TT with IRC and fuel cell and go race unlimited at 220 mph and canyon slam w/ the best. price/value beyond belief.

so $ drive part of it, distingue' another and newness a part. this WAS a gt3 thread. i celebrate all 3. how many mfr.s have 3 rad cars/
Old 08-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

This all seems so funny arguing over whether this car beats that car etc.; there is no holy grail.

Everyone is different, some like straight line performance, some like the feel of a normally aspirated engine, some like it light and simple, some like it heavy and luxurious.

It's like arguing over what is better, a night with Britney or Julia, Grappa or Cognac...it depends on the consumer it's all good.

I'm just glad we get cars like the GT2 and GT3 finally here in the USA after so many years of being neglected by Porsche!!
Old 08-30-2003, 01:30 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Cupcar
I'm just glad we get cars like the GT2 and GT3 finally here in the USA after so many years of being neglected by Porsche!!
I can't imagine why Porsche has neglected to bring cars like the GT2 & GT3 into the US for so many years...

Originally posted by donnyj
When both cars travel this fast....I want luxury and toys

Old 08-30-2003, 03:33 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with watt-talking .1 second differences in times from one car to the next is a waste of time. each of these cars has a different personality and purpose. alot of tt drivers would be unhappy in a gt3 or gt2, and vice versa. that demand/supply based on desire for the car will dictate market conditions. bottomline-if you pay full list, you better be ready to keep the car for awhile. the early sellers will do okay, but give it a month or 2, and things will change.
Old 08-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Metalsolid,

You absolutely nailed the point!
Old 08-30-2003, 06:29 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Can't imagine sums it up!

We have missed things like the Carrera RS 2.7, Carrera RS 3.0, Carrera 3, 964 Carrera RS, 993 Carrera RS, 993 GT2, first edition GT3 plus more I can't think of right now, not to mention performance variants of the 924,928,944,968....the list goes on. I know some of it was very limited and some of it was not doable in terms of our laws, etc but.......I'm just glad for their change of heart.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:38 AM
Ghost Rider
Banned

You know after reading 8 pages of messages I'm really just confused, so would someone please come by my house tomorrow (I've got the day off, something called Labor Day) and please drop off a TT, TT X50, GT3 and GT2 and I'll tool around in each of them tomorrow, laboring over which car I like best. I'll then happily come back here and post my results. Remember, donated cars remain the property of the testing facility - uh that's me...
Old 09-01-2003, 10:23 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Ghost Rider,
Check your PM. If you're passing thru Indiana, you can drive my X50, and I'll ask a friend to let you drive her GT2. AS

Quick Reply: the GT3 Market