Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Available

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 04:35 AM
Hamann7
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, Oak is right, I did recently acquire a Turbo, and concurrently cancelled my GT3 order.

Do I still wonder about what a GT3 would be like? Absolutely.

Do I think the GT3 is a better canyon car than the TT? Absolutely.

Do I think Watt didn't give the GT3 enough of a chance? Absolutely.

Do I regret my decision to buy the Protomotive Turbo? NO WAY!!!

It would take a hell of a lot to get the Turbo to handle like a GT3. You would basically have to do what Chad did and redo the entire setup. The Turbo has loads of grip, but an agile, well balanced handling machine, it is not really designed for that.

My car has a nicely setup suspension and it does it's job, but it is a totally different experience from a GT3.

As most of you know, the Protomotive Turbo I bought is not your run of the mill 996TT. Hell for that matter is not your typical "modded" TT either. As Chad Viso pointed out, it is one of the fastest 996TT in California, if not the country. It puts out similar figures to his car without his CO2/nitrous setup.

And yes, it is way way way faster than a GT3 (or GT2 for that matter-- ask Watt).

But still there is something very magical about the GT3, and I wish I could own both.

The Turbo is still too heavy, but I have 625hp to the wheels, so who cares?
Old 08-27-2003, 09:53 AM
LAJ_996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

:from watt:

and us gt2 fools who just dont get the gt3 also carry humidors in our cars besides using the cupholder!!! shock and dismay!!!

way too funny!:roflmao
Old 08-29-2003, 03:17 AM
Hamann7
User

and even more shocking, smoke cigars while driving such serious machinery!
Old 08-29-2003, 03:24 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey hamman, i wonder. you posted a long diatribe, complaining about guys like me, who purchased tt's with all the safety features, characterising us as people who are numb to driving, telling us that we needed the safety features in order to drive. you said that you don't need awd, psm, etc and welcomed your upcoming gt3. why the change of heart?
Old 08-29-2003, 03:31 AM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Got any 0-60 and/or 1/4 mile times for that beast?
Old 08-29-2003, 03:34 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

doc: He got a deal too good to pass up on one of the fastest 996 Turbos in the country. Watt was a bad influence on him.

I think the most interesting post in this thread is Twisted's followup that he flipped back to the GT3 from the Turbo. Here's his commentary as to why on Roadfly: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...3798579&page=2
Old 08-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Hamann7
User

Originally posted by docjackson1
hey hamman, i wonder. you posted a long diatribe, complaining about guys like me, who purchased tt's with all the safety features, characterising us as people who are numb to driving, telling us that we needed the safety features in order to drive. you said that you don't need awd, psm, etc and welcomed your upcoming gt3. why the change of heart?
I did not buy the 996TT because of PSM and AWD.

As Steve in FL pointed out, this was a chance to get one of the fastest 996TT in the country (maybe even the world?) for a very good price from one of my closest buddies.

It will be a continual work in progress, but so far I love it!

I still wonder if I am missing out by not getting a GT3, but the torque on this baby is SICK under full boost!!!

It is a totally different driving experience than a GT2/3. Even with the gobs of power, still much more numbing indeed...
Old 08-29-2003, 04:06 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Hamann, For your commute and where you primarily drive. You made the wise decision. Torque rules!

I spoke to Wilber the other day, I think he had second thoughts on letting his baby go.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:47 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

hamann, good luck with the tt. i hope that you enjoy it.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:21 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

doc

you did nail him. he is very wishy washy. at least he went for price /performance. i hope he installls the humidor soon so i can drive it more.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:11 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

you are correct, watt. he was all about the gt3, and all against the tt.we all remember him criticising those who drive cars with electronics. but, what the heck, we can all change our minds. i still wish him well with the car.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:42 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

tyson,
now you gotta da HP, we gotta show the boys your gold chains and samoan bodyguard riff Wiley developed for you as one of your stage presences. can U scan that photo wiley took?

hey and tyson's CF is real no look and functional!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Hamann7
User

Yes the CF hood is real and functional. I will try to scan those pics of me in my bling bling garb as soon as possible.

docjackson, the power in this car can easily overpower PSM. I have done this on the racetrack.

AWD help puts all the power to the ground, so I like it for that purpose. But again, there is something to be said for the GT3 and it's light and balanced setup.

But as watt pointed out, the price/performance ratio of this thing was too good to pass up!
Old 09-01-2003, 01:49 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

hamman, what kinds of mods does the car have?
Old 09-01-2003, 02:22 PM
Hamann7
User

The car was completely reworked by Protomotive.

Custom Turbo plumbing, headers, Y-pipe, ram air system, custom fabricated exhaust, twin Garrett T04E turbos, ECU tuning, blow off valves, custom wastegate, intercooler, twin GT2 race fuel pumps, etc.

Car also has custom Work Brombacher 3-piece forged racing wheels, PZero Corsas, a special H&R suspension with swaybars, Tequipment rollbar, CF hood, IMEC front lip, etc.

FYI, this system is similar to the one that EVO and Imagine have been working on for some time as their "Stage V." Hopefully it will be ready in October and they will be ready for a big shootout with my car and CJV's. This car has been ready and reliable for the last 2 years (with one revision along the way, recently switching to 2 fuel pumps and swapping the GT-25 (T3/T4) to T04E)... a strong testament to Wilber's vision and creativity and Todd Knighton's (Protomotive) software and hardware engineering skills.

Quick Reply: GT3 Available