Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Available

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 04:26 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

The GT3 is a great track car no doubt, didn't mean to sound like I was browbeating the GT3. It's just unless you plan to primarily drive the GT3 on the track, the turbo/GT2 would be the practical choice. You can easily drive the GT3 on the street, no doubt. But coming from the turbo/GT2 it's much more practical for both street and track.

Most of the guys where I usually run besides the track is in the canyons with major elevation changes, very steep inclines and very twisty. The GT3 torque band is not near the turbo/GT2 where you need the torque down low and through the mid range. And if your turbo is modified it is even more evident how the torque has the advantage in these conditions.

Now if your driving on a relatively flat track course the GT3 is at home, and the power band is in the upper range and transition are flat, it's a great car. But you can easily make the turbo/GT2 handle as good, and enjoy the turbo/GT2 for both track and canyons.

As a side note, used turbos/GT2 are relatively inexpensive in comparison to the GT3. You can find a used turbo with very. very, low mileage and modify it and still be less in cost to the GT3. The GT2's are also at a very good price for not much more than the GT3's.

But of course they still aren't GT3's.

I guess it depends.....
Old 08-24-2003, 06:42 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Oak
It's just unless you plan to primarily drive the GT3 on the track, the turbo/GT2 would be the practical choice.

Most of the guys where I usually run besides the track is in the canyons with major elevation changes, very steep inclines and very twisty. The GT3 torque band is not near the turbo/GT2 where you need the torque down low and through the mid range. And if your turbo is modified it is even more evident how the torque has the advantage in these conditions.

Now if your driving on a relatively flat track course the GT3 is at home, and the power band is in the upper range and transition are flat, it's a great car. But you can easily make the turbo/GT2 handle as good, and enjoy the turbo/GT2 for both track and canyons.
I can see the Turbo being the more practical car, seeing it's more of a GT with friendlier ride height and back seats, but the GT2 has to be less practical than a GT3.

I've never driven a GT2 and no doubt it has God's own torque, but having just come back from running the canyons with huge elevation changes, the GT3 has zero problems. As you know, the GT3 generates all that power thru higher RPMs, so you've gotta keep it singing above 5000rpm in second or even first gears for more twistier roads.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:53 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think that lynn and steve are making my point. they are obviously people who bought the gt3 for the right reason-they enjoy having the skill to push it to the limit on a track. other people who bought the car as a daily commuter are finding that they purchased the wrong car-they would have been better served with a turbo. depending on how many unhappy buyers there are that try and sell their gt3, the price of the new gt3 will vary-the more resales out there, the softer the new market will be. let's see what happens.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:18 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by MetalSolid
I've never driven a GT2 and no doubt it has God's own torque, but having just come back from running the canyons with huge elevation changes, the GT3 has zero problems. As you know, the GT3 generates all that power thru higher RPMs, so you've gotta keep it singing above 5000rpm in second or even first gears for more twistier roads.
It's not a question of having problems, sure the GT3 will run fine, but if you have driven the turbo/GT2 through the areas I usually run through the consensus has been the turbos will be faster, this is from GT3 and GT2 owners.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:19 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Steve,
I am with you! Just my opinion, I think you are on the money. The GT-3 may not be for everybody. The GT-3 is for the hard core 911 owner not the Bling-Blingers. Most people do not get what this car is - a street legal race car. I do not have my GT-3 as of yet but when it comes I plan on REMOVING the cup holder! Is there a European part to take its place or will I have to leave the hole in the dash?

Best,

Don
Old 08-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Don, I can relate, why bother worrying about a part to replace the cup holder if your that hardcore. If I owned one I would remove the door panel, carpet, center console, etc etc. Why stop at the cup holder? Get real core.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:39 PM
9caregiver
Racer

That was good.... A cup holder in a GT-3. That just ain't right!
Old 08-25-2003, 12:53 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by RENNMAN
I do not have my GT-3 as of yet but when it comes I plan on REMOVING the cup holder! Is there a European part to take its place or will I have to leave the hole in the dash?
Don,

It looks like when Porsche revised the dash so the cupholder wasn't one of the items inserted in the console spots normally occupied by the radio or climate control they made it a permament fixture. Short of retrofiting parts from the pre-2002 996 dash I'm not sure you can get rid of it. Luckily it's not _that_ obnoxious, at least compared to the design Porsche was using before. Here's a picture (this car was ordered w/o A/C):

Old 08-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Ralphk
Intermediate

Greetings. "Newbie" here.

I just put a deposit on an April 04 build. I am in the back of
the bus. I have never owned a Porsche before. I am no
stranger to impracticle factory cars though. I am sure that
all TT's that are made today are probably more practicle than
the GT 3. But like most people here, I have a beater to give
me day to day practicality. How about a Toyota Corolla -
and with a 5 speed manual !! Watch out. I want a hi rpm
motor that is as close as a stock street racer you can purchase
from the factory. I would only want to modify the computer,
exhaust, and seats though. I would be happy to run slicks;
if I occassionally take the car to the track. I want to keep the car
basically stock. When comparing cars it is best to compare stock
to stock and modified to modified. ( GT 3 ~ A hi revving motor, suspension, and with brakes to match ) !
Old 08-25-2003, 01:05 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

FWIW

I had a GT3 on order and decided to take a TT instead. Why:

1. Dealer made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the TT.
2. I drove the TT and concluded that as stiff as it rode the GT3 would be stiffer yet. MY 993 C4S ROW M030 is fine by me.
3. The GT3 does not come with a spare or a jack. In the 6+ years I've driven the C4S I've had 3 rear tire punctures. In each case, a can of Fix A Flat would have done me no good and left me stranded.
4. Torque and lots of it. I suspect the TT has better drive-ability on the street.
5. I only do 2-3 DE's a year. I couldn't see moving farther to the extreme end of the scale in my situation.

If you looking for a GT3 at MSRP, let me know. You might still be able to spec it to your needs.

Cheers,
Old 08-25-2003, 10:32 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

it's an outstanding car, i just sold mine as i have a rule of one Porsche at a time and i am more fond of the gt2. and yes, i am an inveterate flipper. it's my only vice and a benign one.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:35 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by watt
it's an outstanding car, i just sold mine as i have a rule of one Porsche at a time and i am more fond of the gt2. and yes, i am an inveterate flipper. it's my only vice and a benign one.
watt: I wasn't picking on ya, honest. I was just saying you weren't getting out of the GT3 because you didn't understand what it was when you bought it. BTW, what's the performance like on your GT2 after its visit to Andial?
Old 08-27-2003, 12:39 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

i flip therefore i am.

metalsolid

is that you in the sy 04 gt3 in malibu? who told me "just enter the corners faster" to keep the rev.s up? how you gonna come out of the las flores uphill hairpins above 5,000 w/o driving dangerously ie using the other lane or slipping the clutch? i guess you could ring 1st gear out to 8200 before shifting!!! ouch

and since you havent driven a gt2, i will tell you it is much, much faster up canyon. in fact it's not even close, but knowledge requires experience.

Oak has summarised the situation as has ringmeister and myself: gt3 on a flat track is excellent. on most of MY PERSONAL driving needs [canyon slamming, and open road hammer runs, with repeated acceleration say 30-165mph] gt2 is far superior, and i have owned both and thus believe i am qualified to compare/

besides, it's much better looking as well. i'm not saying gt3 is not a fast car; it's just that gt2 is MUCH faster. not negotiable. a fact.

and i use the cup holders all the time running 700 miles to nevada, need caffeine, but i pulled the CD holder in my gt2 and just left the space blank and put my police scanner in there. you should see the tea spill when you hammer it 2nd!!!! nothing like redline 2,3,4,5 in a gt2....

but also face another fact dear readers: neither gt3 nor gt2 is an "extreme" car as stated above. they are both solid daily drivers with a sporting cant relative to TT or C2. i would get tired of the gt3 exhaust noise day-day but as as car it is perfect for my commute.... but not as perfect as my daily gt2.

a repeat worth repeating

Last edited by Sun Ra; 03-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:03 AM
twisted
Advanced

I flipped also .. what started this post is no more, I flipped back to the GT3, TT no more.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:28 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

bling rennman,
check in with the factory engrs., ringmeister and other track dudes: gt3 is perhaps 25% stiff enough to really approach a mild track car e.g., the gt3 cup car. " race car for the street" is an oxymoron. race cars are too stiff and brutal on the street while gt3 is quite nice.

and us gt2 fools who just dont get the gt3 also carry humidors in our cars besides using the cupholder!!! shock and dismay!!! who let us drive and sell gt3 while a purist like your self is without and waiting?

Quick Reply: GT3 Available