997.1 GT3 Header on 996 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3 Header on 996 GT3

Hi,
I'm planning to do some modifications to my exhaust system on my 996 GT3 MK1. I have been told that the 997.1 GT3 header will fit, and after this you custom built mufflers and tips.

Anyone here at Rennlist who has done this? Anything to think about

All tips are welcome
Old 09-28-2014, 09:34 PM
BuckeyeDrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this (well, kinda). I just installed a complete 997 gt3 system on my 6gt3. While I did not use any oem exhaust parts, the process was pretty much the same. I had an issue getting the 7gt3 headers to seat properly. I had to remove the bracket that bolts to the block and holds the stock 6gt3 muffler. Once that was out the headers went on very easily. Also had an issue with getting the o2 sensor wires to reach sensors now that they were in different spots. I had to just run the existing wires in a new route (would be nice to get longer wires). Although you can probably re-use gaskets and bolts, I purchased new ones as the costs were very minimal. It was a very fun process and surprisingly easy.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:23 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcus S.
Hi,
I'm planning to do some modifications to my exhaust system on my 996 GT3 MK1. I have been told that the 997.1 GT3 header will fit, and after this you custom built mufflers and tips.

Anyone here at Rennlist who has done this? Anything to think about

All tips are welcome
Sharkwerks built a custom exhaust for there 996 GT3, albeit it was for the .2 GT3 as well as a center exit. I would assume the two cars would be similar. I think it is documented on their website.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:09 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I would love to hear this set up if there are any video,s ................
Old 09-29-2014, 11:13 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I would highly recommend a 997 system (complete) on a 996. Once you see how the two a designed, you will see there is is hp to be had. I had changed my car to a set of 7GT3RS headers and 7GT3RS center box with Supersprint side mufflers delete pipes. Saved around 70lbs of weight and made 18hp+ at the rear wheels. Somewhat louder than stock 6GT3 but not terrible and was still able to run Lime Rock with turn downs only (88db limit).

If just changed this to a set of 7GT3 SCarGo Catless headers and a 7GT3 rear center box (titanium vs metal. Didn't want to burn a hole in the Ti box) and it's now making more like 30hp at the rear wheels. It's almost cup car loud now, but not quite

The only downside of doing a 7GT3 exhaust is that you either need to cut center exit holes in your current rear bar, or switch to a 6Cup rear bar with the center exit already in it. The 6Cup rear bumper does also improve the air exiting the rear of the car due to it being cut a little higher the a street car. They are cheap enough as a replica that it's worth it.

I don't have any roadside sound clip, but if you can hear the exhaust from the in car in my YouTube videos. Search user "mrmmuller".

Last edited by mmuller; 10-04-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
brontosaurus (06-08-2022)
Old 09-29-2014, 11:17 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Will your catless headers + stock center box setup pass Lime Rock w/ the turn down?! LRP has such a strict sound level limit.. !
Old 09-29-2014, 01:36 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

I doubt it will pass. I could swap the headers back if I choose to run there again, it's not that hard to do and I can do both sides in about 45 minutes. I generally only do LRP twice a year, one DE and one race in the SPB, so it's a choice I have been avoiding the last year.

I think I would run it with the Catless headers and wait to get meat balled and then come in and switch the headers.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDrew
I just did this (well, kinda). I just installed a complete 997 gt3 system on my 6gt3. While I did not use any oem exhaust parts, the process was pretty much the same. I had an issue getting the 7gt3 headers to seat properly. I had to remove the bracket that bolts to the block and holds the stock 6gt3 muffler. Once that was out the headers went on very easily. Also had an issue with getting the o2 sensor wires to reach sensors now that they were in different spots. I had to just run the existing wires in a new route (would be nice to get longer wires). Although you can probably re-use gaskets and bolts, I purchased new ones as the costs were very minimal. It was a very fun process and surprisingly easy.
Great! Seams pretty much straight forward I will start the search immediately...anyone know if the headers are the same for 997.1 GT3 and 997.2 GT3 ?
Old 09-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Originally Posted by Rovman
Sharkwerks built a custom exhaust for there 996 GT3, albeit it was for the .2 GT3 as well as a center exit. I would assume the two cars would be similar. I think it is documented on their website.
Yepp, found it This will help a lot

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/996-ca...40-wheels.html
Old 09-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Originally Posted by mmuller
I would highly recommend a 997 system (complete) on a 996. Once you see how the two a designed, you will see there is isnt hp to be had. I had changed my car to a set of 7GT3RS headers and 7GT3RS center box with Supersprint side mufflers delete pipes. Saved around 70lbs of weight and made 18hp+ at the rear wheels. Somewhat louder than stock 6GT3 but not terrible and was still able to run Lime Rock with turn downs only (88db limit).

If just changed this to a set of 7GT3 SCarGo Catless headers and a 7GT3 rear center box (titanium vs metal. Didn't want to burn a hole in the Ti box) and it's now making more like 30hp at the rear wheels. It's almost cup car loud now, but not quite

The only downside of doing a 7GT3 exhaust is that you either need to cut center exit holes in your current rear bar, or switch to a 6Cup rear bar with the center exit already in it. The 6Cup rear bumper does also improve the air exiting the rear of the car due to it being cut a little higher the a street car. They are cheap enough as a replica that it's worth it.

I don't have any roadside sound clip, but if you can hear the exhaust from the in car in my YouTube videos. Search user "mrmmuller".
I'm on the same side Much HP to find in the 997 exhaust design. My idea is not to make a center exit, I will try to do a x-pipe solution with some small mufflers and then do some nice tips at the existing holes in the bumper, prefer original look.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:17 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marcus S.
I'm on the same side Much HP to find in the 997 exhaust design. My idea is not to make a center exit, I will try to do a x-pipe solution with some small mufflers and then do some nice tips at the existing holes in the bumper, prefer original look.
I had originally planned to do the same. When I started to ask around about the custom work required to achieve it, the cost was high enough that it made the bumper cost (painted) only $400 less than the full 7GT3 solution. Decided I wanted to be OEM like and went that route. Either way, the magic is the better header design so you will be making gains either way.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:10 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
I had originally planned to do the same. When I started to ask around about the custom work required to achieve it, the cost was high enough that it made the bumper cost (painted) only $400 less than the full 7GT3 solution. Decided I wanted to be OEM like and went that route. Either way, the magic is the better header design so you will be making gains either way.
plus it's much easier to find oem parts if something needs replacement.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:20 PM
GreatWhiteNorth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Option A and B

Here is another visual. Bumper is from Getty
Attached Images   
Old 10-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Marcus S.
Racer

Anyone know if it's any difference between 997.1 headers to 997.2 headers? Had found a pair of 997.2 headers here in Sweden but don't know if they will fit.

Please reply
Old 10-26-2014, 01:12 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Both will fit. 997.2 are better because of the newer cat age.

Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 Header on 996 GT3