Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 07:21 PM
MK19
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upper Strut Mount Creak?? Help!

Hi all,
Looking for a little help here.
I've been chasing noises in the front area of my higher mile '02 996tt for a while.
So far I have:
1) tapped and hammered all of the front suspension looking for something loose......can not find any rubbing or looseness at all.
2)Added the windshield foam cord .......might have helped a little.
3) Added the Teflon shim between the passenger side dash mounting strut and the bulkhead mount......maybe a little help.
4) Stuffed dense foam everywhere that noise might be generated and tapped and tightened anything and everything.

Now I'm back to the suspension. The noise seems worst when cold (So. Cal. Morning cold), maybe even disappearing after 20 miles or so. It seems to occur when going over rough surfaces........but so do all rattles.

I'd really felt like it was a strut.....but of course the sliding surfaces look great, and I've never heard of a shock absorber making noise. I have cleaned and greased the front spring seats too.....which can help.

Now I'm researching and hearing about the upper strut mounts (bearings) making noise and wondering how to validate that short of replacing the parts, realigning etc? Can I squirt some grease in? Check for free paly? Visually examine them??

Should I replace all the struts on this 120k miler??

Thanks,
Mk19
Old 09-26-2014, 08:16 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Spray liberal amounts of wd-40- see if it goes away. I had creaking(drove me nuts) the rear strut top hats were cracked. mike

Quick Reply: Upper Strut Mount Creak?? Help!