Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 GT2 a laugher

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 12:08 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Correction to my last post, Actually, not all the Carbon parts are heavier.

Jack mentioned that he had weighed the center console and it was lighter. I didn't actually weigh them, but when I picked them up they felt noticeably heavier and looked like it was just the stock plastic with carbon wrapped to the outside portion.

Robert, can you confirm? I was quite confident this was the way it was constructed.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:29 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

oak,
i believe jack said it 'twas only the console that was real carbon, not the other inerior pieces which were overlay. jack?

jack,

loved those carbon seats in the 360!!!!! i wonder if gert's are real? he won't know until he actually gets a pair...
Old 08-19-2003, 12:37 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Oak:

When you say center console, do you mean the piece containing the radio, PCM, etc. integrated into the dashboard or the piece containing the parking brake lever?
Old 08-19-2003, 12:56 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

I thought it was the center console that Jack mentioned, I assumed the larger console. Robert, Are they both constructed differently is that why there is a weight diff? Thanks!

By the way those carbon adjustable camber plates look awsome! Are you planning on making a set for the turbo?
Old 08-19-2003, 12:58 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

watt, I think the GT3 seats are overlay! I wouldn't wait around for them, I doubt there is a huge weight diff. The stock composite shells are pretty light.

Sorry for getting off topic.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:18 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

I'm still confused -- which do you consider to be the large center console?

Thank you for the compliment -- soon I will address the turbo as well as other Type 996/997 vehicles.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:51 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

I consider the large console the hand brake shifter console. is there a difference in the weight and construction between the stock plastic/vynl pieces? Is the large center console wrapped carbon on the stock plastic piece? When I looked at them closely they looked to me as if they were the stock pieces just wrapped, and seemed to weigh more.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:41 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

The front center console (with the radio, PCM, etc.), the rear center console (with the shift lever and handbrake) and the GT 3 seats are all carbon fiber applique.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:00 AM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Konstantin wrote:
"Wait till you see the new time at Nürburgring.
the same with the new Gt3. only 22 HP more but as fast as a Gt2 at Nurburgring and much fatser than the older GT3. "

Have you read the latest Sport Auto SUPERTEST that compares the new M3 CSL against the new GT3 around the Nurburgring and at Hockenheim ? The M3 is 4 seconds faster. Its the first time in years that Porsche loses on "the Ring". That is no good news to me. I used to be proud that all the cars (Carrera 2, turbo, GT2, and GT3) were the fastest in their class, and Porsche cars held the records. Not anymore...
Old 08-19-2003, 08:07 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ask you to look at the HP curve, the 381 is a narrow unuse-able peak, pure marketing. but what do i know, and i nvere drove the 00 gt3. [/B]
it looks so but it is NOT. look at the times a Nurburgring. Even the Cup cars curve look similar but believe me. they are fast and have power not only at the "peak"

It is much more work than a graph to find out if an engine works well or not. The Gt3 engine is one of the best. (especially the new one)

Konstantin
Old 08-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by stv951
Konstantin wrote:
Have you read the latest Sport Auto SUPERTEST that compares the new M3 CSL against the new GT3 around the Nurburgring and at Hockenheim ?

The M3 is 4 seconds faster. Its the first time in years that Porsche loses on "the Ring". That is no good news to me. I used to be proud that all the cars (Carrera 2, turbo, GT2, and GT3) were the fastest in their class, and Porsche cars held the records. Not anymore...
yes I have read it. do you?
then read it again and you will find the answer by your self. it is not dificult :-)
The same way the 951 cup was faster than the 959 which had 200 HP more on the same track at the same day. BTW the 959 was driven by one of the best Porsche drivers but it was still slower than a 250 HP 951.
guess why!

Konstantin
PS the GT3 is still MUCH faster than the CSL. just use the same tires and you will see. The pilot cup tires are really fast and the GT3 was still faster at Hockenheim even with non race tires. This proves how fast the car is in reality. The pilot cups gives at least a 2 sec adavandage at Hockeheim and cornering at a max of 1.4!!!!!g So you see who is faster;-)
Old 08-19-2003, 02:13 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

so now that we know all the carbon is "applique" or french for fake,

josh has already jig-rigged his gt2 with carbon stickers which provide the "look" even cheaper!!!!!
maybe we can do our bonnets as well.

konstantin, you should've made him figure it out!!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Watt:

The carbon fiber applique is not fake, it is quite real. It is that the piece to which it is attached is not a carbon fiber piece but, instead, decorated with carbon fiber sheet much like Porsche also offers many of the same pieces covered with leather, several types of wood vaneer, body color paint or aluminum look paint -- all of which are done, at least in my opinion, far better than is done by any other OEM. In short, these pieces are designed for visual appeal and not performance and, in fact, are a bit heavier than the pieces without the addition of the applique.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:29 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by stv951
Konstantin wrote:
"Wait till you see the new time at Nürburgring.
the same with the new Gt3. only 22 HP more but as fast as a Gt2 at Nurburgring and much fatser than the older GT3. "

Have you read the latest Sport Auto SUPERTEST that compares the new M3 CSL against the new GT3 around the Nurburgring and at Hockenheim ? The M3 is 4 seconds faster. Its the first time in years that Porsche loses on "the Ring". That is no good news to me. I used to be proud that all the cars (Carrera 2, turbo, GT2, and GT3) were the fastest in their class, and Porsche cars held the records. Not anymore...
That M3 CSL is running on R compound tires (track tires) while the GT3 is on a street tire...thats a HUGE difference.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:55 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

cartridge,

fake in that to use your word it's decoration, not functional, i agree that's it's real carbon decoration.

real silicone breasts, real dyed blonde hair and real porsche decoration is better than real Porsche carbon "look" decoration as is found on the new 2004 Porsche GT2! a real wheel waxer special.

Quick Reply: 2004 GT2 a laugher