Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996GT3 at CNC in SoCal...any stories with this car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 01:16 AM
vtwin996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously? My car is mint and it's listed.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:29 AM
ewj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 red GT3 in North Holywood

Ran across this one on CL. I know you mentioned you weren't interested in guards red, but might want to check it out.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...638485943.html

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:22 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
sounds terrible from a reseller.
worn tires?
EBC is not pagid.
broken seat switch?
all this shows neglect.

missing paint on bottom . if you mean bottom of side skirt, then that's normal. if missing from belly, i would pass the car without PPI.

seat back has mark from roll bar? is that a bucket seat? if it's oem sofa, and it had a roll bar in there with that seat (the marking) then the PO has no clue what he's doing and likely be damaging the car as he tracked.

so far, i heard nothing that would make me bother to chk this particular car out.
I was simply relaying information for anybody else thinking about checking out the car. I don't think I'm interested unless they are willing to let it go for extremely cheap...which I doubt they are considering their current price.

Let me clarify a few things:
  • I said semi-worn...meaning, they weren't brand new. But PSCs last what, 5k miles tops? Not the tires that I want to buy a street car with...
  • Correct, I forgot EBC had a yellow brand. I would never put that garbage on my car and its clear they aren't buying high quality parts for the car. Plus, the pads were just replaced by Auto Gallery in 01/14 and then replaced again by CNC in 06/14.
  • OEM seats...had rub marks about halfway up the back up both seats. Would seem to indicate that some type of harness bar was installed in the car.
  • They also don't have the service history behind 01/14.
  • I didn't check under the side skirts. I meant that the metal parts (like subframe and what not) showed definite signs of wear and rust.

So not like this (granted its a 997):

I'm really just reporting this for the next person who asks about this car (to save them time and effort).
Old 09-07-2014, 03:26 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vtwin996
Seriously? My car is mint and it's listed.
I saw it (I even responded about the images)...I just don't want yellow...and I can't handle the yellow rims...

Thanks though
Old 09-07-2014, 05:00 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ewj
Ran across this one on CL. I know you mentioned you weren't interested in guards red, but might want to check it out.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...638485943.html

Good luck with your search.
Honestly, at that price, I'd rather jump and get this. Anybody know why that car is at a Volvo dealer?
Old 09-07-2014, 08:49 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you need to decide what you want. 996 is very different than 997 and I wouldn't exactly cross shop the two. Just my opinion though.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
I think you need to decide what you want. 996 is very different than 997 and I wouldn't exactly cross shop the two. Just my opinion though.
+1. None of us rally asked, what's the intended use of this car? User experience between 996 vs 997 GT3 is similar in theory but quite different in reality. 997 is a much better street car. That said I'm a track rat and only had the budget for a 996 when I bought my car so the decision was easy for me.

Find 996 GT3 and drive one. To me, even in stock form it's exactly what a sports car should be, to many it's a little hard core.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:23 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

^ +2 : ). Mike
Old 09-07-2014, 02:44 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

That's a fair question to ask. I would say 80-90% Street and 10-20% track. It will not be a track car but I would like to track it occasionally to really learn how to drive the car. This will also be my only car (I think that's important to point out). It would not be daily driven as a I take mass transit to work every day.

I know the addiction of the track as I went through it with my E46M3. Don't get me wrong, I think the track is a great place to learn how to drive you car and I would totally take whichever car I buy to the track to learn.

With that said, I've come to realize that you truly need a dedicated track car that no longer drives on the street to fully enjoy repeated track abuse (and risk). I don't have a house so I can't store a trailer or a tow vehicle so the idea of a dedicated track car is a pipe-dream at this point.

Either way, I'm curious why you are saying not to cross-shop the two...personally, I'm seeing it as: 997 is more streetable and refined but more costly to enter the market. The 996 has slightly less performance (for my driving talents, I probably can't tell the difference), slightly less raw, but overall just as satisfying to drive.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by lax01
The 996 has slightly less performance (for my driving talents, I probably can't tell the difference), slightly less raw, but overall just as satisfying to drive.
To correct some potential mis-perceptions you may have...
The 7gt3 is more forgivable to lack of talent.
The 6gt3 is more involving, demands more talent to be driven at the limit, and more raw. For a lot of people, conquering this greater challenge makes it more satisfying to drive at the limit.

Have you considered a 2009+ (DFI engined) Cayman S? Sublime mid-engined platform -- much more forgivable than any gt3. Bullet-proof engine for the track. May be more suitable for your situation (only car, 85/15 street/track). Plus cheaper (smaller financial exposure to track-insure and/or in case of balling it into a wall).
Old 09-07-2014, 03:04 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hf1
To correct some potential mis-perceptions you may have...
The 7gt3 is more forgivable to lack of talent.
The 6gt3 is more involving, demands more talent to be driven at the limit, and more raw. For a lot of people, conquering this greater challenge makes it more satisfying to drive at the limit.

Have you considered a 2009+ (DFI engined) Cayman S? Sublime mid-engined platform -- much more forgivable than any gt3. Bullet-proof engine for the track. May be more suitable for your situation (only car, 85/15 street/track). Plus cheaper (smaller financial exposure to track-insure and/or in case of balling it into a wall).
Appreciate your insight...

Not a fan of the 987 styling at all and wouldn't consider it...would consider a slightly used 981 but then I'm approaching 7GT3 territory again and I think it would always be in the back of my mind that I should have gotten a GT3.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:40 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Appreciate your insight...

Not a fan of the 987 styling at all and wouldn't consider it...would consider a slightly used 981 but then I'm approaching 7GT3 territory again and I think it would always be in the back of my mind that I should have gotten a GT3.
OK, just keep in mind that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. And driving a fast car fast becomes tricky if you worry about $$'s as you explore its limits. (Don't track a car that you can't afford to leave behind at the track without worrying about the $$ loss.) A well driven stock 987S on Nittos will keep up with most gt3's on the track except the well driven ones, which are a minority on most days.

You should be able to order a brand new bare-bones, base 981 Cayman with Sport Suspension for close to $50k. Something to think about.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:42 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hf1
OK, just keep in mind that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. And driving a fast car fast becomes tricky if you worry about $$'s as you explore its limits. (Don't track a car that you can't afford to leave behind at the track without worrying about the $$ loss.) A well driven stock 987S on Nittos will keep up with most gt3's on the track except the well driven ones, which are a minority on most days.

You should be able to order a brand new bare-bones, base 981 Cayman with Sport Suspension for close to $50k. Something to think about.
I get it...I honestly don't really want a Cayman...I want a GT3.

Looks like the 7GT3 in SF is already spoken for anyway...some other buyer has a PPI scheduled for tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:45 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I get it...I honestly don't really want a Cayman...I want a GT3.
OK, I was just testing you. You passed.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:47 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hf1
OK, I was just testing you. You passed.
hahaha nice...I mean, don't get me wrong...I would probably like a Cayman (a lot) but I would LOVE the GT3.

I'm sure that sentiment is not hard to understand in here...

Quick Reply: 996GT3 at CNC in SoCal...any stories with this car?