Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996GT3 at CNC in SoCal...any stories with this car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:20 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lax01
Just curious, why do you say that? The number of owners? The sketchy dealer?
lack of info, multiple dealers, "suspension rebuild", higher price, higher miles than avg, etc... There are better options.

If you posted a wtb and your budget/needs, I'm sure you'd get a much better crop of cars.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:49 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
If you posted a wtb and your budget/needs, I'm sure you'd get a much better crop of cars.
+1
Also, with some patience, good cars regularly pop up for sale from members here.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:28 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
That car doesn't sit right. I'd hold off until something else pops up. You could always pm a member who's car you like if you have a $65k budget. Everything is for sale for the right price.
Originally Posted by hf1
+1
Also, with some patience, good cars regularly pop up for sale from members here.
I'm not in any rush to buy...and I've been monitoring the forums pretty regularly.

Anyway, in terms of my search criteria. I'm looking for:
  • Year/Model: 04-05 996 GT3 and 07 997 GT3s.
  • Budget: I'm still trying to determine how much I want to spend (and whether I want to live with a loan or pay cash).
  • Mileage: Less than 50k would be preferable but depending on maintenance history and PPI, it's not a hard rule
  • Maintenance History/Service Records: Must have and be included with the car
  • Color: Anything but Guards Red and Speed Yellow. Prefer white
  • Mods: Don't really care as long as they enhance the performance of the car
  • Origin Location: Would prefer a California or Arizona car (don't really want a car that has seen snow, btdt)
  • My Location: Los Angeles, CA
Old 09-05-2014, 05:43 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

You just missed the deal of the year:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...d-selling.html

And this one is about to go away too:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-for-sale.html

You got to be quick, though. Good ones don't seem to last a minute.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:51 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Heh, I saw them...been tracking the forums for the past 2 weeks or so. I just wasn't really in the position to buy (still not, will be on Saturday after I sell the Ducati).

I'm still not in a huge rush to buy a car so I don't mind waiting for the right car. I'd still like to see if the prices start to drop once the 991s really get out there
Old 09-05-2014, 10:51 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by lax01
I'd still like to see if the prices start to drop once the 991s really get out there
The price trend is up. You have to be patient, good examples do come up every so often.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

the most important criteria is BUDGET, he rest of ur criteria are easy
without budget u are nit ready and as a seller, I won't bother with such a buyer

u haven't decided if u want a loan or cash? they u r not ready to buy

if u want a loan, u need the lender's chk in hand now.

if u are not in a hurry to buy, u will not find a good car, bc they are sold very quickly.

price unlikely to go down much if at all.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:34 PM
lateforlunch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just speculating here but I agree with mooty on the price point not going down any more. They are 10 year old cars now more or less... I think its safe to say they have hit the bottom of the depreciation curve. 996 GT3's are special cars with limited production numbers, 997 GT cars were far more abundant from a numbers standpoint.

I ran across that atlas gray car when I was searching for my GT3 this past spring. Supposedly it had some rust on its underpinnings here and there since it came from back east. It was sold and then the deal was un-wound after the fact on that basis if im not mistaken. That probably explains the claims of "new suspension" etc. They were asking top dollar for that car, Im not surprised they moved it on.... it didnt stack up to their high price tag.

good luck on your hunt and like mooty said, be ready to pounce
Old 09-06-2014, 10:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
There were only 200 of the 2005 built, and only 100 imported to North America. It could become a collectible

A 2005 is not collectible using that logic. 996GT3's are 04-05 and the 05's are nothing more than the leftover 04's. Nothing special about them OVER an 04. With that said, they (04-05) are all a low number produced, special, car.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:37 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is that build sheet link no longer working? What password are you guys using? Was researching vin: Been interested in this car in NorCal. WP0AC299X4S692304
Old 09-06-2014, 04:51 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
the most important criteria is BUDGET, he rest of ur criteria are easy
without budget u are nit ready and as a seller, I won't bother with such a buyer

u haven't decided if u want a loan or cash? they u r not ready to buy

if u want a loan, u need the lender's chk in hand now.

if u are not in a hurry to buy, u will not find a good car, bc they are sold very quickly.

price unlikely to go down much if at all.
You are 100% correct. Up until this morning, I wasn't really ready to buy (I literally just sold my Ducati) and didn't have a firm budget. This week, I'll be moving money (making it more liquid) around and getting rates for a loan. I know I need to move fast and I want to be ready for when a good car comes up.

I appreciate the advice..
Old 09-06-2014, 07:45 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r6elmo
Is that build sheet link no longer working? What password are you guys using? Was researching vin: Been interested in this car in NorCal. WP0AC299X4S692304
Just paste your VIN in the URL over the other one after you click on the link.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:39 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lateforlunch
I ran across that atlas gray car when I was searching for my GT3 this past spring. Supposedly it had some rust on its underpinnings here and there since it came from back east. It was sold and then the deal was un-wound after the fact on that basis if im not mistaken. That probably explains the claims of "new suspension" etc. They were asking top dollar for that car, Im not surprised they moved it on.... it didnt stack up to their high price tag.

good luck on your hunt and like mooty said, be ready to pounce
Thanks for the heads up...I checked out the car today. CNC said they just got the car a few weeks ago and they got it off a trade with Auto Gallery.

The car has been freshly detailed and the paint, overall, looked pretty good. There are two dents in the hood and some minor scratches around the adjustment for the wing. The car has semi-worn Pilot Sport Cups on them and was clearly a track car. The car also has race pads on it (yellow backing plate - Pagids Yellows? Their invoice says EBC). The back of the seats have a wear mark from the harness bar. The passenger seat has a broken upper seat switch. I got under the ground and checked under the car. It was pretty clear that the car has seen salt or has been off track as most of the paint seem to be missing from the bottom exposed side. The rear shocks did appear to be new.

Bottom line, I would DEFINITELY want to have this car PPIed to have a more thorough investigation underneath the car.

As I don't have that much experience driving 911s or GT3s, the test drive was pretty meaningless. The car felt tight and I didn't notice any hesitation during accelerating up to 6 or 7k rpm (I didn't take it to redline). Brakes felt solid and firm. But again, I don't really have anything to compare it to (except a 996 GT3 I drove like 5 years ago). Clutch friction point was pretty high (compared to the E46 M3) but I'm pretty sure that expected.

Do you know who last checked the car out? I'd be interested in seeing that PPI report. Of course, PPI's inspection came back clean and they say the car needs nothing. They did not check the DME during their inspection.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

sounds terrible from a reseller.
worn tires?
EBC is not pagid.
broken seat switch?
all this shows neglect.

missing paint on bottom . if you mean bottom of side skirt, then that's normal. if missing from belly, i would pass the car without PPI.

seat back has mark from roll bar? is that a bucket seat? if it's oem sofa, and it had a roll bar in there with that seat (the marking) then the PO has no clue what he's doing and likely be damaging the car as he tracked.

so far, i heard nothing that would make me bother to chk this particular car out.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:15 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

^same sendiment. Mike

Quick Reply: 996GT3 at CNC in SoCal...any stories with this car?