Sponsored by:

Clubsport cage for 996 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:26 AM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clubsport cage for 996 GT3

Long story short, I failed my car inspection in Switzerland. 4 years after importing it, they finally decided my GMG cage is illegal.

Looking at the Tequipment cage, it looks inferior to the GMG. It kills me to remove my GMG cage, or pay money for something worse.

So I found a clubsport cage, which appears TuV certified and should pass Swiss inspection.

Can someone confirm the link below is the right one: http://www.fvd.de/ch/en/Porsche-0/99...IA_Groups.html

Its priced at less than $3000 which is surprising to me.

This is the full cage, 4-point rear and 2 point front. My GMG was 6 points but all rear. Can someone also comment on the install difficulty? I would have a race shop do it, but I am curious... does this one require welding? Also if anyone has one, can you comment about how bothersome (if at all) the front points are? I presume its all far away from any possible head-impact, yet I see a lot of photos that have protective foam on them. Is that just in case you bump your head getting in/out?

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:51 PM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Number54
Long story short, I failed my car inspection in Switzerland. 4 years after importing it, they finally decided my GMG cage is illegal.

Looking at the Tequipment cage, it looks inferior to the GMG. It kills me to remove my GMG cage, or pay money for something worse.

So I found a clubsport cage, which appears TuV certified and should pass Swiss inspection.

Can someone confirm the link below is the right one: http://www.fvd.de/ch/en/Porsche-0/99...IA_Groups.html

Its priced at less than $3000 which is surprising to me.

This is the full cage, 4-point rear and 2 point front. My GMG was 6 points but all rear. Can someone also comment on the install difficulty? I would have a race shop do it, but I am curious... does this one require welding? Also if anyone has one, can you comment about how bothersome (if at all) the front points are? I presume its all far away from any possible head-impact, yet I see a lot of photos that have protective foam on them. Is that just in case you bump your head getting in/out?

Thanks.
Yes, thats the original Clubsport cage.

If your car is Clubsport from factory, it will have reinforced mounting points ready so the cage just bolts in. If it's not a CS you have to weld the reinforcements for the attachment points to the floor. You have to cut the carpets as well and drill holes through the floor for the mounting bolts.

It's a lot of work. I did all that last summer when I installed 996 RS cage into my non CS GT3.

Also there isn't much head room if you install the front cage as well. You really have to to use padding material to protect your head. I have Brey Krause seat mounts so the seat is lower than standard, it gains me some more head room.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. My car isn't a clubsport. I will try to find a car with a CS cage and check it out before committing to it.

One strange thing is that the Tequipment cage does not have the TuV certification listed on the FVD site. I am assuming that since the FVD site is quite bad (and I can't find it on the Porsche website), that's just an omission on their part. But can someone confirm that the Tequipment cage is indeed TuV certified?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Clubsport cage for 996 GT3