Sponsored by:

Well Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:51 AM
REALGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Well Nuts

So my motorsport chin spoiler came off (again) for the 5th time. Does anyone have the correct part number for the rubber insulated rivet nut from MSC Industrial or any other company? Stock hole size and had double sided tape installed

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:56 PM
sp0da
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW I used these.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CRULQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CRULQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't lost my splitter since using these. I also used a very tiny amount of Loctite blue on the threads.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:53 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also use them. Available from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...4358/204276054
Old 07-29-2014, 01:47 AM
REALGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kewl. thanks gents. I take it there is a corresponding bolt to purchase also?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

You also need the 3M heavy duty neoprene mounting tape. Use both. It takes quite awhile to do it properly. I take the whole bumper cover off so that you can see what you're doing. Heating things up with a heat gun helps.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:06 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the links.

I also lost one recently without even an 'off'... Used the plastic push-pins and the 3M Heavy duty, double sided, etc, tape.

Are you guys using plastic or metal screws/bolts? Washers? Sizing? ..

TIA!
Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Standard 10-32 metal bolts 1-1.5 inches long. I put a washer under the head of each bolt on the underside of the splitter. Well nut heads sit on top of splitter, under bumper. I also run a bead of 1 inch wide black Gorilla tape over the face of the small gap between the splitter and the bottom of the bumper after tightening all the well nuts. This keeps air from working its way in between the splitter and the bumper and trying to peel off the splitter. If you do this, you can dispense with the need to apply double sided tape or adhesive to the top of the splitter to seal the gap between splitter and bumper. The tape bead around the face of the gap is much easier and quicker to apply and remove than the double sided stuff on the top of the splitter.

If you should inadvertently contact anything with the splitter - such as a steep curb - the well nuts will pull out of the bumper without doing one bit of damage to it. Ask me how I know! Despite this, they will hold the splitter securely in place at least up to 145 MPH.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:08 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

^Thanks.

These are hard to find around here for some reason. HDepot is out locally and 'online' cannot obtain either (apparently there is not enough of a margin to check across the country, they called the same 3 stores I did ( !)). NAPA does not carry the 5/8" sizing (but has other lengths, including a decent amt of 1" long ones). And so on... There is a pretty big price differential for the Amazon stuff, but if it has to be...

2 Questions:

1. How important is the 5/8" length? Might be able to find enough if I go out to an Inch long, for example? Anyone try?
2. Anyone have another source for these?

Trying not to re-invent the wheel here so any thoughts are appreciated. Love to get it done this weekend.. TIA!
Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Longer should be no problem, in fact they might even work better. When you tighten the nut, it squeezes down into a fat blob. The more length you start out with, the fatter the blob you can achieve and the more securely the nut will hold. Of course you have the option to not tighten them all the way down if you don't want them to be "too" secure. The important thing is to get the correct diameter. The ones from HD insert right into the existing bumper holes with no need to enlarge the holes.

BTW, somewhere on HD's website, you can type in the item code and your zip code, and it will show the quantity of the item at every store within a specifiable radius of your zip code. You can also order them from HD's online store, which is what I did (bought a batch of 50 or so). I believe the price on Amazon is for a box of 10, but I could be wrong about that. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Thanks! Good tip on the HD website. I bought out the store, lol, last night (8 total in the three store 'local' area) so I will complete with longer sizing at NAPA then order a bunch like you did. Thanks for the follow up/help & Best, CJ

Quick Reply: Well Nuts