Sponsored by:

GT3 noise in back wheel area

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:05 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 noise in back wheel area

I can hear a rattle coming from the back wheel area. Sounds like some small wrenches banging together. I know it is not coming from the engine so that is out. It is very audible while driving slowly over bumpy surfaces like my cobblestone street. Any suggestions? Taking it in on Tuesday.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

more notable in a slow corner or straight line?
Old 08-08-2003, 07:40 PM
ShortShift
Advanced

Check out this link. Sounds like you have a similar problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=79953
Old 08-08-2003, 09:14 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

lynn,

I have heard in both turn and straight line

Shortshift,

I will suggest that to the service manager when I take it in

Thanks for your replies
Old 08-08-2003, 10:01 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I suspect it is suspension noise with perhaps some differential added to the mix in slow turns on the cobblestone. The GT3RS has all monoball joints and is very noisy on smooth pavement. The GT3 cup is not as noisy, but has some rubber in a few of its joints,..such as the front control arm.
The GT3 street has much more rubber in the joints than the cup car. This rubber is very stiff though especially in a new car and can be noisy. Also, the bolts on the drop links are tight in the bar receiver holes. The bar is essentially with load at rest. IF for example, you turn the steering wheel even slightly and attempted to change the bar setting with the car on the ground, you would have trouble getting the bolt of the drop link out of the bar. This preload is why bars are disconnected during cornerbalancing. The bars may be making this noise as well since they are being bumped up and down by the cobblestone. Safe to have it checked out though, but there are lots of reasons in this car's suspension to make noise on a cobblestone road-so I would not worry over the weekend. Enjoy....
Old 08-08-2003, 10:36 PM
FELKER
Racer

Default shock towers

My Turbo has the same type noise... there is a TSB for GT2's with teh noise which adds rubber boots to the shocks some where.... The machanic is workig with PCNA to get mine fixed.. not given the "OK" yet to use the GT2's fix.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:54 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

jack identified the diff noise under slow no power turn arounds in my gt3. try the same turn with power on.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:36 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Watt,

Were you able to fix it? I can really hear it at 2,100 rpm's. Like I said before, it sounds like some wrenches rattling not a thump or dull thud.

JG
Old 08-09-2003, 02:26 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

JG
If the sound you are referring to is the one which is noticed at 2000-2100 rpm, that is likely air flow resonance noise. It then goes away as you move through 2200-2300 rpm.

If you are certain it is not from the motor, then it is as noted in my previous post.
On slow turns, in a parking lot for example, one can hear the differential clutches. They make a clicking/tapping sound. This is a normal condition and no reason for concern.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:16 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Lynn,

Thank you for your input. If the sound is "normal" I am OK with it. Call me crazy, but I sorta like a few squeaks and rattles in this car. I expect it to some degree. Anyway, as a precaution, I am having my service dept. check it out on Tues. I am having a blast driving this car! Will let you know what they say.

JG
Old 08-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

TNGT3:

Taking it to Andy Tuesday. I am supposed to take my Turbo in Monday. I may wait until Tuesday to get a peek at your car. What color combination is it.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:08 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

JG
Let us know what they say. I just went out and listened to mine for a few minutes. I really think it is a resonance relating to airflow. It does sound like something is vibrating or loose, but in the GT3 cup car, if you worried about these sounds(and they are much louder in the race car)you would be afraid to drive the thing! Keep in mind also that the butterfly in the induction set up is changing position in the 2000-3000 rev range in the street car. The race car does not have any variable induction flow set up.
The race car has tremendous intake noise that sounds like hissing to roaring depending on the rpm. You hear it inside the car and outside.
It is also possible though that at that particular rpm, the harmonics are such that it is causing vibration which then passes as you move a few 100 rpm higher.
Many owners are complaining about this very sound. Lets see what they say tuesday.

Last edited by ldw; 08-09-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:46 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by TNGT3
Call me crazy, but I sorta like a few squeaks and rattles in this car. I expect it to some degree.
LOL! No, you are perfectly normal. Crazy is when you don't expect typical sports car like noises.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:38 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Lynn,

You obviously know a lot about these cars! That is why I think this site is so great. Coming from a '95 Carrera, '97 TT, and '03 C4S I have over the years become familiar with the "softness" of these cars with the elimination of most of the rattles and other nuances. This is one of the reasons I wanted the GT3. Since it is not my everyday car, I wanted something raw, no sunroof, no designer sound system, something I could take to the track, and it had to be a Porsche.

Not being familiar with the GT3, I wanted to make sure the noise was not a "problem" noise. I just want to make sure it is a "good" noise. With the knowledge you and the others have given me, it will be interesting to see what the dealership comes up with. I have found them to be very competent.

To be continued.....

Doug H.,

It is silver/black. You have e-mail.

Viken,

I am glad to be normal!
Old 08-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

from your last description you may have bopp0ed a tie ros loose happened to me in my first gt2... have suspension checked

Quick Reply: GT3 noise in back wheel area