996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 noise in back wheel area

Old 08-10-2003, 08:03 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TNT I have the same noise at 2000rpm to 2100rpm.
It comes from the driver side of the engine compartment, and it sounds like a rattle.
It happens only when the car is at operating temp.

I brought mine in, nothing showed up on the diagnostics.

RC at the rennteam forum had also told me that a few owners in Germany are complaining of the same sound.
I've heard this "rattling"sound since new.

I told my dealer and he mentioned it to the rep, you should do the same. Other than that my car runs awesome, but the noise kind of annoys me.

Anyways,

thanks for posting on here, now I know I'm not going crazy.

Let me know what your dealer says.

Thanks..
Old 08-11-2003, 02:10 AM
TNGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RR,

I know the sound you are speaking of coming from the engine. From what I understand it is normal. The sound I am talking about is coming from the back right wheel area. Very noticeable driving over rough surfaces at all speeds (straight line and turns) especially when driving slowly.

Will keep everyone posted on what happens when I take it in on Tuesday.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:07 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 76 Posts

TN,
have u got the car back yet?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:09 AM
TNGT3
Instructor

Got it back. They could not pinpoint the sound although it is still noticeable at times. Everything looked fine underneath. I even drove it for 30 minutes while the no. 1 mechanic pulled up the cover in the back seat and tried to find it. It actually does not bother me at all as the car is somewhat loud in the cockpit which I like. I just wanted to make sure it was not anything to be concerned about. I expect a few rattles from this baby. If it gets any worse, I will take it back. In the meantime, I am just going to enjoy it.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:33 PM
TNGT3
Instructor

Petert, It is funny you brought this back up because I took my GT3 is still making the noise. I took mine out today with a friend and I tried to pinpoint it. I had heard from an earlier post that someone having the same problem changed the speaker out on the left side solving the problem.

After driving for a while, we did come to the conclusion it was not coming from the rear wheel area or the speaker itself which you already discovered. It seems to be coming from behind the speaker or between the speaker and the B pillar like you said. I have not thought about the seat belt, but will check it out and report back. I hope it is this easy!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 noise in back wheel area