Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Wheels - OK to use factory Wheel Bolts?

Old 06-06-2014, 11:51 PM
B Fett
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Wheels - OK to use factory Wheel Bolts?

So- probably a dumb question, but these cars are so different to what I'm used to. I searched and didn't find anything specific soo..

When switching to aftermarket wheels, with the same or close off-set, is it OK to run the factory wheel bolts?

I'm assuming when going with a much wider spaced wheel, or when using spacers, you would need longer bolt at that point, correct?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2014, 02:18 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B Fett,

I don't use bolts so I might not have the best answer, but I would think you'd want to have the same length of threaded engagement for the bolts. So depth of stock from seat to hub versus depth of aftermarket wheel seat plus spacer to hub. Additionally you want to be sure the aftermarket wheel seat matches the bolt. See pic:
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2014, 02:54 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Most aftermarket Porsche wheels are designed to use the factory bolts. It will be up to you to ask the supplier if they do. If the supplier cannot tell you, don't buy the wheels.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:13 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Depends on the wheel. Need to verify if the wheel require a 60deg conical seat nut or the Porsche type which is a R14mm radius.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:31 AM
Formula43 Wheel
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We machine to use factory 14mm, ball seat lug bolts or lug nuts for all Porsche applications.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I have 4 sets of wheels, and 3 different lengths of bolts. Just push one of your bolts into an unmounted wheel from the outside and see how much thread sticks out the back. You should have at least as much thread as the bolt's diameter, but not too much more. You should also be able to tell if the ball seat is correct.
Having wheels which require different length bolts is the reason I first went to studs. Too bad they failed...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels - OK to use factory Wheel Bolts?