Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Ohio NNJR footage

Old 05-23-2014, 11:07 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Mid Ohio NNJR footage

Great weekend with NNJR last weekend. Friday and Saturday ran Club course and then pro course on Sunday.

Video camera user error means I had no video at all from Friday. I set my personal best lap on the club course Friday with a 1:37.6 on Nitto's.

Sunday we ran Pro course and I had the pleasure of chasing around a fellow Rennlister Matt (mmuller) in his well driven 996 GT3. Below is a video of us one session mixing it up with a 6' cup. Skip to 12:00 mark for that coverage. Best recorded lap I could muster Sunday on pro course was 1:35.01. There were several that would have been Mid :34's had there not been traffic but no official fliers were laid down by me on Sunday.

After chasing around a couple of cars this weekend with Cup Ring and pinion and watching them gap me off of certain corners it really makes me want to upgrade!!!
Old 05-23-2014, 01:08 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for posting the vid Andy. I rarely get to see what the car looks like on track. Was nice to have a another car to run with, not a common thing for my 6GT3. Here is my video from the same session, I catch you around the 9:35 mark. My best in that session was a 1:34.3 running the Toyo R888's. And like I said on the weekend, get yourself a R&P. You will think you bought another car.

Excuse the audio, it was fine until it uploaded to Youtube

Last edited by mmuller; 05-23-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Great vids, Guys!

There is a noticeable difference in gearing thru the track b/t the two cars...

Just the R&P or was additional work (gear ratios) done to the transmission, mmuller??

Andy - this the event with coaching?? If so, how'd it go..

Some good driving both!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:50 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by cello
Great vids, Guys!

Just the R&P or was additional work (gear ratios) done to the transmission, mmuller??

Some good driving both!
Pretty sure he just has 4.0 : 1 cup ring and pinion no other gearing changes. Prob 150 lbs or so lighter as well.

The coaching was at a private rental on Wednesday of this week. Sadly the day was pretty much a wash out and while still valuable I didn't get what I had hoped to get out of the day. Spent most of it in our turbo lapping with AWD and stability management.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:58 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

^ ugh on the coaching day - not the best instrument for the job there...

Good to know on the the R&P as his shift points/power/etc reminded me of the gearing in the 997.2 cars, something I miss in this car (at least on the tracks I usually run) ...
Old 05-23-2014, 10:08 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

^ ugh on the coaching day - not the best instrument for the job there...

Good to know on the the R&P as his shift points/power/etc reminded me of the gearing in the 997.2 cars, something I miss in this car (at least on the tracks I usually run) ...
The rain was pretty nasty. Almost had two big moments in the GT3 and decided the turbo was a safer bet. Hell I almost had a moment in the GT3 n the drive home too. Horrible in heavy rain.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:47 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

^ Oh, got it... Bad luck, then. Hopefully you get another chance this season as it sounded like a good event. I can see why Mid-OH in the wet might be 'interesting' in a 6GT3 .. I'd really like to get there with NNJR or another Grp some day as I went to University in Delaware, OH, been to all the sister schools, including Wooster, etc., so it be cool to go back/kill 2 birds, etc.. :-)
Old 05-24-2014, 12:22 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Great vids, Guys!

Some good driving both!
Just R&P, no re-gear. Exhaust and retune for some extra giddyup.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:29 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Terrific line Andy So wish I could have been there - I LOVE the pro course
Old 05-24-2014, 09:51 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

R/p does wonders on tighter/technical tracks plus having a nice guard LSD is even better. The 6 is an awesome car. Mike
Old 05-24-2014, 08:44 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mmuller
Just R&P, no re-gear. Exhaust and retune for some extra giddyup.
Thx for the confirmation Matt...

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
R/p does wonders on tighter/technical tracks plus having a nice guard LSD is even better. The 6 is an awesome car. Mike
Mike, I have the Guard but still find the gearing a bit more 'in between' compared to the 997.2 tranny on the NJMP tracks I usually run (have lighter cans for mufflers only, remainder stock, with no ecu-tune.. )..
Old 05-24-2014, 08:52 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Biggest difference with r/p is a usable 3rd on 2nd gear turns with stock r/p. Sonoma raceway is one of those tracks the 4.0 r/p does well. Only caveat 1st gear is very short and top speed goes down to 178 by memory and longer straights need to use 5th gear. Mike
Old 05-24-2014, 09:55 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Biggest difference with r/p is a usable 3rd on 2nd gear turns with stock r/p. Sonoma raceway is one of those tracks the 4.0 r/p does well. Only caveat 1st gear is very short and top speed goes down to 178 by memory and longer straights need to use 5th gear. Mike
Longer 3rd has benefits for sure, esp as you say on shorter or technical tracks.. IIRC we averaged from data that each shift was at least 3 tenths, often more. Who needs 1st, and going to 5th just saves the engine ... and 2nd gear syncros also benefit. Just stay away from Daytona or Pocono Tri-ovals, round here. :-)
Old 05-25-2014, 10:42 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Longer 3rd has benefits for sure, esp as you say on shorter or technical tracks.. IIRC we averaged from data that each shift was at least 3 tenths, often more. Who needs 1st, and going to 5th just saves the engine ... and 2nd gear syncros also benefit. Just stay away from Daytona or Pocono Tri-ovals, round here. :-)
At NJMP according to my data before and after the R&P, I make one less shift per lap than I did stock. And the car can keep up with cup cars without to much trouble.

I actually found the side benefit is that instead of doing a lot of 2-3-2 hear changes, you end up doing 3-4-3, which means most of the time you are in one places one the gate. For a guy with a bad right shoulder(me) that made driving on track much more pleasureable.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:21 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

^ One less shift is a nice and noticeable improvement in lap times. The 3-4-3, as opposed to 2-3-4 and down again, will also give an improvement in times at NJMP at least. Probably anywhere too if one has 'mechanical sympathy'... as 3-2 or 2-3 takes longer than 3-4/4-3 for most drivers. Andy Lally drove my prior car at T'bolt right after a GrandAm race with me passenger side. He went to 2nd at T5 (non-chicane) and at T9 (top of 'octopus' or the R hander) .. in that car tho it was red-line by track out. Afterwards, he said short of racing (using the car up, no mechanical sympathy) it would not be worth it lap time wise to use 2nd at either spot given the gearing (longer and more useable 3rd). In the 6 with stock tranny tho I've been thinking that it might be worth trying 2nd at least at T9. The problem is that if one is trying to loose the least amount of speed as is possible (not over-slowing and braking to rotate only) the time one is in 2nd gear is (very) minimal and whatever gain is offset by the time taken for the shift down to 2nd and then up to 3rd... A longer more useable 3rd gives the best of both worlds on the right track. The R&P seems to have a real world benefit from your info, thx! ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mid Ohio NNJR footage