Sponsored by:

Softronic Vs EvoMS

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 AM
racingfan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
inteereresting. i driven many of EVOMit cars. great stuff indeed.
but i like the oem throttle response,
can it be retained but increase high end hp. i dont care about hp under 7000 rpm. i run 91 oct

will this require a special tune or will it be a standard tune that sharkwerk can load to my ecu.
Yep, Alex can easily give you the OEM throttle response with the rest of the EVOM tune intact. That's exactly what he did for me after I decided I preferred the stock throttle response but wanted to keep the power gains.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:31 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

thanks for the kind words fellas and indeed we tailor those tunes to however your driving style is. I know a lot of you prefer the stock pedal maps/throttle and that's easy. Some want left foot braking enabled. Easy... Some want 93 octane.. easy Also as I tell everyone out there... if for some reason you don't like it we'll gladly return it to stock. Todd/we want people to be happy and keep on having fun so. I can tell ya it works very well... Here's us doing some fun stuff on our 996gt3 back in the day:

It's super easy to remove the ECU (skip ahead of the bose subwoofer since we don't have that crap in GT3s):
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...s-gt2-gt3.html
Old 02-26-2014, 01:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ nice. now make my 4.2L
Old 02-26-2014, 01:40 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mooty
^ nice. now make my 4.2L
Actually during R&D been there and tried it. Personally I didn't like the small extra bit of low tq for the loss in rev/character due to the heavier 105.4mm pistons . Didn't rev/accelerate as nicely as with lighter ones So for now you can have the duramax 4.1
Old 02-26-2014, 02:12 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Is there any difference in the tune ordering from sharky compared to evoms direct?
Old 02-26-2014, 02:23 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kk2
Is there any difference in the tune ordering from sharky compared to evoms direct?
Wherever you are most comfy We don't bite (either of us):
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=189
Old 02-26-2014, 02:27 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
Plastic sharks

The tuning is all performed through the same procedures at our EVOMSit Partners like Sharkwerks and others around the country as it is through us directly, just different means to get the files to Todd to be tuned. The same tune and same options are available wherever you go.

Sam
Old 02-26-2014, 02:44 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOMS
Plastic sharks

Sam
i want my in titanium.... hear that alex.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by george996
Sam, I don’t intend to be contradictory but according to the DME 7.8 manual the primary purpose of the O2 sensors after the cats is to measure the efficiency of the catalytic converters. You probably have seen the parameter “mean amplitude after cat 1 or 2”. This looks at the amplitude of the secondary sensors to measure the oxygen storage capacity of the cats. Without cats installed the signal of the secondary o2 sensor will look like the signal of the upstream sensor which is an indication that the cats are not doing their job and should throw a CEL. Please see the attachment. Yes, the secondary sensors do provide some feedback for the upstream sensors as you stated but this is a secondary function. Your tune must be bypassing the cat efficiency test if no CEL is triggered.
I haven’t loaded the Euro II program on the GT3 but I have on a 996 DME 7.8 and it ignores the signal from the secondary sensors.
We use three tactics to avoid CELs on catless/HFC cars.

The first tactic is to use HFCs, and use HFCs that actually work if the car is to be driven on the street. Exhausts that use good high flow cats, like the Fabspeed, Tubi, Akrapovic, etc. (I realize not many of these make replacement cats for the 996 GT3 any longer) cost more, but you get cats that do their job and don't fall apart after heavy track use. For track cars or for people who don't care about emissions/the environment, this is a moot point.

The second tactic is in some ECUs and programs, we can alter how the ECU compares the secondary signal to the primary, and what threshold it uses to determine that the cats are working/not working. This is cool because it allows the car to set catalyst readiness, which is important for getting the car through OBD-based emissions, and allows us to keep all the other functionality of the secondary sensors working as it did from the factory.

The third tactic is to simply disable the readiness test. This is no bueno for cars going through emissions, but if the car never tries to check efficiency of the cats it can never fail them.

Sam
Old 02-26-2014, 03:01 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

+1

For the record, my EVOMS 'stage 2'(circa 2007) GT2 has secondary O2 extenders on it to pass emissions scan/read-outs, has a Milltek exhaust with cats...

Originally Posted by george996
Sam, I don’t intend to be contradictory but according to the DME 7.8 manual the primary purpose of the O2 sensors after the cats is to measure the efficiency of the catalytic converters. You probably have seen the parameter “mean amplitude after cat 1 or 2”. This looks at the amplitude of the secondary sensors to measure the oxygen storage capacity of the cats. Without cats installed the signal of the secondary o2 sensor will look like the signal of the upstream sensor which is an indication that the cats are not doing their job and should throw a CEL. Please see the attachment. Yes, the secondary sensors do provide some feedback for the upstream sensors as you stated but this is a secondary function. Your tune must be bypassing the cat efficiency test if no CEL is triggered.
I haven’t loaded the Euro II program on the GT3 but I have on a 996 DME 7.8 and it ignores the signal from the secondary sensors.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM
george996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVOMS
We use three tactics to avoid CELs on catless/HFC cars.

The first tactic is to use HFCs, and use HFCs that actually work if the car is to be driven on the street. Exhausts that use good high flow cats, like the Fabspeed, Tubi, Akrapovic, etc. (I realize not many of these make replacement cats for the 996 GT3 any longer) cost more, but you get cats that do their job and don't fall apart after heavy track use. For track cars or for people who don't care about emissions/the environment, this is a moot point.

The second tactic is in some ECUs and programs, we can alter how the ECU compares the secondary signal to the primary, and what threshold it uses to determine that the cats are working/not working. This is cool because it allows the car to set catalyst readiness, which is important for getting the car through OBD-based emissions, and allows us to keep all the other functionality of the secondary sensors working as it did from the factory.

The third tactic is to simply disable the readiness test. This is no bueno for cars going through emissions, but if the car never tries to check efficiency of the cats it can never fail them.

Sam
thank you for the explaination. makes sense.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:21 PM
george996
Racer

Originally Posted by 993GT
+1

For the record, my EVOMS 'stage 2'(circa 2007) GT2 has secondary O2 extenders on it to pass emissions scan/read-outs, has a Milltek exhaust with cats...
With cats installed it should not trigger a CEL. I was responding to the issue about deleting the cats.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:27 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Understand that completely, added the part about my O2 extenders due to the above from EVOMS about passing emissions.... what I want to hear more about from EVOMS is the idea of scanning AFR's primary vs. secondary, and having fuel trim adjusted by the secondary's, interesting to see some documentation via Bosch about this function
Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 PM
george996
Racer

Originally Posted by 993GT
Understand that completely, added the part about my O2 extenders due to the above from EVOMS about passing emissions.... what I want to hear more about from EVOMS is the idea of scanning AFR's primary vs. secondary, and having fuel trim adjusted by the secondary's, interesting to see some documentation via Bosch about this function
I would like to see more about that as well. I haven’t been able to find any details about the secondary sensors providing feedback to the primary ones, not even in the DME manuals. The only reference I found to this regard was in the 2004 GT3 technical description. See attachment.

Last edited by george996; 12-09-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:57 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Evoms with confidence, I have it in all my cars, and Todd does great work with the GT3s as well.
Sharky is proof of it. All my clients with carless headers and M&M exhaust have an Evoms tune, and I have proof if compared with different files as I did it back to back on the dyno with same hardware.
Guys don't only focus on the top end power, which you will gain, don't get me wrong, but also on the smoothness and power under the curve.
just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Softronic Vs EvoMS