Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

additional power for GT2

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 07:57 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Sell it in three months? when have you ever known me to sell a car in 3 months? 6 months is more usual at least the last 8-10 cars. oooooooooohhhh yeah, i forgot i bought it in April... 3+3=?

your mod comment is well taken, i'm heading back to my original view.

Wilbur I'm in the office tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watt: Let me know if you figure out how to knock a few pounds off. Maybe replace the battery as a start - with one of the gel types?
Old 07-23-2003, 05:13 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally posted by Steve N.
Watt: Let me know if you figure out how to knock a few pounds off. Maybe replace the battery as a start - with one of the gel types?

get one of those bat batteries. They weigh like 8 lbs!

I'm not sure how reliable they are, i'll have one of the techs at work take a look at their stats and see what he thinks.

Also, what are the carbon fiber doors selling for and what's the weight advantage?
Old 07-24-2003, 07:32 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

steve N.

remember people who live in glass balance sheets shouldn't't throw rocks.

nothing wrong w/ more power judiciously applied, but there is a simplicity and calm in not wondering if PCNA is going to bust you if your chip/brain change blows your motor...

the best weight tweaks for road use are gt3 seats [removes about 60-80#, and fikse profil 13 wheels which saves about 30# unsprung, and a driver's diet. maybe add the carbon RS mirrors when they come. other panel changes are unsafe for road use.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:58 AM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

do the carbon mirrors really save you that much. Unsprung weight is key, it's amazing how much a little bit helps. Are their any lighter brake options or is the GT2 pretty much set? Gt3 seats sound like the weigh to go if you can live w/ them on a day to day basis.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:04 AM
GuyR
Racer

Default GT2 Weight Reduction

Watt,

How much do the Fiskes weigh vs the stock GT2 wheels and how much are they?

Soon2be,

Don't forget that the GT3 seats are what was fitted to every GT2 in the world as standard, other than North America.

Guy
Old 07-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Hey Watt - Stop about the balance sheet - I wasn't throwing rocks! My own view on modding the GT2 is pretty consistent with your comment - I'm not sure if the gain would be worth other offsets - including potential warranty issues. And there is the question of how often the extra power can be put on the ground.

The great thing about taking pounds off vs. hp increase is the beneficial effect on braking and cornering - not just acceleration. Were your figures for the GT3 seats for the carbon fiber seats or the regular ones? What's the weight diff between these two - anyone know?
Old 07-24-2003, 08:41 PM
Hamann7
User

I don't know about all the different vendors out there, but my favorite chip tuning company, PowerChip, offers a drivetrain warranty on their ECU program. Just like Dinan does for BMW.

In 15 years of doing business, they have never had even ONE issue with reliability!

In the vast majority of cases, the programming is also undetectable by the dealer.

You also get 30 days to try out the chip. If you don't like it, they will happily return it back to the stock ECU setup.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:52 PM
2000BlackGT
Track Day

Originally posted by Steve N.
i dont know what your guys' batteries weigh, but here is the one that a lot of guys are going with, the hawker genesis G16EP Sealed Lead Acid Free Battery. It weighs in at 13.5 pounds. It's the exact same battery as the dyna-batt with different stickers. Heres the cheapest price, only 69.99

http://www.gotbatteries.com/Familyid...ctNum=37L105S1
Old 07-26-2003, 02:56 PM
wilber
Racer

Power chip is going to chip my cayenne S on monday.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:21 PM
noony
Racer

Watt if you're not satisfied with the GT2's performance I don't know how you're gonna cope with the even slower GT3.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

GuyR.

fikse profil 13 which is the lightest wheel i can find for 8.5/12's:

8.5 X 18 Profil 10,13 = 20.25lbs per wheel. vs stock gt2: 25.08
12.0 X 18 Profil 10,13 = 22.25lbs per wheel. vs stock gt2: 31.68

total savings 4 wheels: 28.52 pounds

Steve N, boy you are sensitive!!! having just run 600 mi up to nevada, raced and run back at the limit and thru Death Valley [120 degrees, distant and empty:

- the only car on team Porsche that broke was heavily modified
- it's nice to have factory everything when you're alone on 50 miles of empty highway
- to race or run roads above 160, i would go back to 4WD for best dynamic stability, and the only mod. i would consider out there alone is Ruf
Old 07-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

chad,
i hope you are coming to elko with a few HP and a smidgen of T
Old 07-29-2003, 01:29 AM
Steve N.
Racer

Watt: Any pics from the Nevada run? Your experience with the GT2 at 160+ mph would interest a lot of people - not many people have had the opportunity to drive at that speed. Maybe you could start a thread to tell about it - it sounds like the car must have felt unsettled. Curious - what diff do you think the AWD would have made? Or was this caused by lift? Bumpy road? (At 160 mph, the road better be pretty smooth).
Old 07-29-2003, 05:01 AM
GuyR
Racer

I can't speak for Watt, but I have driven my GT2 at an indicated 190mph on several occassions and the car feels totally solid and planted to the road. I think the bigger spoilers of the GT2 provide more stability and downforce, but at the expense of drag (the drag CD of a GT2 is 0.34 vs 0.31 for a 996 TT).

Last week I also did some driving on a 60 metre wide, 2 mile long deserted runway in the pouring rain (and I do mean pouring English rain!), There was a lot of standing water and some large puddles. I did over 160mph in these conditions about 10 times. The car skips about a lot when you hit puddles at these speeds and was often jumping sideways by 1-4 feet, but provided you don't overcorrect the steering, it is OK, though a little un-nerving. The car has immense traction still though, I was expecting wheelspin in several lower gears, but even at full throttle, only got wheelspin in the top of first gear. It certainly helps having the engine over the wheels.

I also drove some friends cars that day, including a Skyline GTR with a genuine 680bhp at the wheels, that was on road-legal semi-slicks (Dunlop Formula Rs). This was real fun in the wet, we got wheelspin (all 4 wheels) all the way up to 100 mph and on some occasions were getting the car snap sideways under acceleration at over 140mph. The car has a Holinger sequential race gearbox, so you can change gear without backing off the throttle, or using the clutch.

Both the above experiences were fun on a deserted runway airfield, but would be suicidal on the open road.....

Guy

Quick Reply: additional power for GT2